MOLOKAI’S BLOG

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Mar 6, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Wasn't that Bunny Kaplan pictured on Anglobob's bicycle stamp?

Don

Molokai and anglobob like this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

LOL! At the end of the article she does mention 'Rabbits' are another of her favorite topicals.

DonSellos likes this.
  3. Molokai

I didn't want to start a thread until I was sure we didn't already have one...

BEER ON STAMPS - Seems like a interesting area - postage, revenue, cinderella/poster.

BeerStamp-Postage.jpg

DonSellos and anglobob like this.
  4. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

I,ll drink to that....!!!!:cat::cat::cat:

DonSellos likes this.
  5. Molokai

This has just been published. The price keeps it off my 'must-have' list for right now although I am sure it is worth every penny. Drummond has written some fantastic books. His Catalog of Philatelic Miscellany (3 volumes plus Update) is wonderful reading and study!

Philatelic Exhibition Labels, Part one: U.S.: A to L by James N. Drummond. A catalog and check list of labels issued by stamp exhibition and shows over the years. Thousands of items are listed. Illustrated in color. 2019. Looseleaf. 894 pages.

ExhibitionLabelsBook.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  6. DonSellos

Yes, I saw a notice of this somewhere and thought, "wow, this is just what I need," until I saw the price ($129), Yikes!!! And it's only through the "L's." That probably means another $129 for M-Z. Maybe it will be made available in digital format at $29.95, but not in my lifetime. I would think that "publish on demand" might cut the price by half and I might go for that.

Don

7. Molokai

I recently purchased examples of facsimiles of the 1865 Newspaper & Periodical stamps. The N & P facsimiles are a study unto themselves! These are German, lichtdruck - clearly marked! Some of the German examples are stamped 'falsch.'

Doc Pepper has four books on the N & Ps - The Regulars, The Proofs, The Forgeries, The Facsimiles. Basically, the latter were meant to fulfill collector demand to fill spaces.

Google tells me lichtdruck means 'light pressure' but <WERNER> told me once (perhaps he will be so kind as to tell me again) a better definition. There are quite a few drawings/engravings for sale on eBay using the word...

In any case, whoever designed the little STAMPS holder clearly wasn't an N & P collector!:joyful:

LichtNP1.jpg

LichtNP2.jpg

A tell-tale sign of a forgery or facsimile of this Series of 1865 is the very small lettering at the bottom of the stamp; it is not engraved with the precision found on the real-deal. I have a legitimate PR1; I'll see if I can get scans good enough to show the difference. Elsewhere, I posted a forgery in which the 'N' was backwards like the Russian letter for 'e.'

DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  8. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Hi Molokai,

The Wikipedia gives this explanation of "lichtdruck".
    "Photographic printing (also phototype, collotype, Albertotype) is a rarely used fine-printing method.

In a broader sense, this term refers to all photomechanical (photolithographic) lithographic printing methods for reproducing halftones without a raster, but in the narrower sense only the process developed by Louis-Alphonse Poitevin in 1856 under the name Collotype and improved by Joseph Albert in 1870, with which larger editions are concerned let produce. Karl Klietsch developed in 1879 from the heliogravure."

Werner Salentin and Molokai like this.
  9. Molokai

Makes sense. Danke <HOCH>!

10. Molokai

Question for the Brain Trust:

What is the least expensive U.S. stamp I can purchase for an example of pelure paper? I *think* I purchased an N & P with it - quite brittle also slightly transparent. But I'd like a bona fide example for comparison.

11. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

I don't believe there is an inexpensive U.S. stamp on pelure paper outside of the Newspaper stamp variants and Hawaiian missionary issues. I can't say definitely, but I haven't been able to find any. The 1919 Latvian coat of arms postage stamps seem an inexpensive way of comparing stamps as they are on pelure paper. For people interested in paper varieties here is a link to paper varieties of U.S. stamps.
    https://www.stampexpertizing.com/pdfs/papers and watermarks_ver1.0.pdf

DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  12. Molokai

I was sort of afraid that was the answer... Thank you again <HOCH>.

13. DonSellos

Molokai:

This post is a continuation of our discussion on the Cinderellas forum about the 1964 election and Barry Goldwater's candidacy. You posted the cinderella below there and I saw the cover below on eBay a couple of weeks later. I had to buy it! As I mentioned before, one of my sub-collecting categories is cartoon cachets on covers and this one fits.

The cachet, which I consider to accurately describe my political enthusiasm for Goldwater in 1964, was done by Franklin W. Spoone of Cartoon Cachets. He did several of these, maybe as many as six, all relating to the 1964 election and utilizing the 1964 Register to Vote stamp, Sc. 1249. All of the ones I have seen depict the Goldwater candidacy favorably. I have only one other, but I may try to acquire all of them. From what I have seen they can be purchased for $5 or less.

Don

[​IMG]

20190225_065716-scfopt.jpg

14. Molokai

'Collect 'em all, boys and girls!' I seem to be pointing you to a lot of buys lately. I hope your wife doesn't read me the riot act in Omaha!

Still, I've pointed you to that Ezra Cole zeppelin cover several times and you have failed to act.

15. DonSellos

Since I have a separate "hobby" account she is totally unconcerned about my philatelic purchases. However, it is very helpful to have someone else to blame when that account is dangerously low and has to be replenished from more visible sources.

I'll try to remember to bring it to Omaha with me.

Don

Draft saved Draft deleted