Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

I am trying something a little different. If it fails to meet with Peter’s guidelines for StampExchange, I will happily take it down.

While I will still post to relevant threads, here I will comment on things I find of interest along my journey of discovery of things philatelic – the stamps, covers, literature and reviews, personalities, curiosities, history, new topics (to me) and of course, lists. I love lists! Some posts will be long; some short. Some sharp and focused, some just miscellaneous ramblings. My wife says I do that a lot nowadays. o_O

And, of course, do comment on any post I make and share your knowledge with me and us here at StampExchange.

“We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” T.S. Eliot/Little Giddings

Stay tuned!
    anglobob, Makanudo and DonSellos like this.
  2. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

I look forward to your first post.

3. Molokai

United States Cancellations and Postmarks Literature

(I had intended for my first post to be more interesting, but I've been working off a not-too-bad but very persistent migraine.)

Recently, I decided I needed to add to my books on U.S. cancellations and postmarks. I have five volumes and assumed there were perhaps a dozen others of which I might purchase two or three if and when the price is right.* Ha! The amount of literature on stamp collecting is simply staggering.

These volumes tend to be catalogues and somewhat boring save as a reference. Exceptions, of course. Bomar’s book on Expo cancellations has some interesting text along with the illustrations.

So, I decided to compile a list. I am sure there are more, especially books devoted to a single state and waterways/ships. If you can add to my list or offer corrections, please do.

I suppose next would be auction catalogues of cancellations and postmarks. I have two Waterbury auction catalogues (Henry House Collection – Robson Lowe and U.S. Waterbury Cancellations, On and Off Cover – Siegel #369), but I am trying to stay clear of catalogues except for my core interests. There are dozens of auction catalogues just on the banknote stamps!

Alexander – Simpsons US Postal Markings 1851-61

Barrett – Masonic Cancellations

Bartels – New York Foreign Mail Cancellations 1871-76

Beaumont - Printed Cancellations 1862-1883

Berg – Chicago Blue Postal Markings 1870-77

Berthold – Wells Fargo Handstamps and Franks

Billig’s Handbooks – 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16,21,31, 33, 37

Billings/Payne/Morris – Primer of U.S. Machine Postal Markings

Billings – Universal Stamping Machine Co 1909-1920

Billings – Cacheted Covers with Flag Cancellations

Billings – Ohio Doane Cancels

Blake/David – Boston Postmarks to 1890

Boogs – Early American Perforating Machines 1857-67

Bomar – Postal Markings of United States Expositions

Chase/McPherson – First Hundred Years of United States Territorial Postmarks

Cockrill - United States Sea Post Cancellations

Cole – Cancellations and Killers of the Banknote Era 1870-1894

Crosby – 19th Century Cancellations

Dunn – Montana Territorial Postmarks

Gilman – A Guide to 19th Century US Postmarks and Cancellations

Gilman – U.S. County Postmasters Postmarks Catalog

Hahn - The Cancellations of Waterbury 1865-1890

Hahn – Postal Markings of the United States 1847-1851

Hammer – A Collector’s Guide to U.S. Machine Postmarks 1871-1925

Helbock/Anderson – US Doanes Catalog of Cancellations

Helbock – Combat Infantry Mail

Helbock – Postmarks on Postcards

Helbock – Postmarks of Territorial Alaska

Herst/Sampson – Fancy Cancellations on the Nineteenth Century U.S. Postage Stamps

Jennings – Color Cancellations 1847-1925 (Exhibit)

Jennings – U.S. 1847-1900 Mail, Cancels and Postal Markings

Klein – US Waterway Postmarks 1832-99

Konweiser – Postal Markings

Langford - Flag Cancel Encyclopedia

Linn – The Paid Markings on the 3c U.S. Stamp of 1861

Loso – 20th Century US Fancy Cancellations – Thunderbolt Edition

Lounsbery - American Postal Markings

Luff, Moe - United States Postal Slogan Catalog

MacDonald – Postal Markings of U.S. Waterway Routes 1839-1997

McMorrow – Scarcity and Value Rating of the Postmarks and Cancellations of Vermont

Milliken – New York foreign Mail Cancellations 1870-1876

Morris - American Machine Bar Cancels 1884-1898

Murphy – A Postal History Cancellation Study of the US Pacific Islands

Norona – Cyclopedia of US Postmarks and Postal History (2 Volumes?)

Payne - Exposition Postal Markings

Perkel/Kazman – Post Office Seals of the U.S.

Remele - U.S. Railroad Postmarks 1837-1886

Rich – United States Slogan Postmark Catalog

Richow - Encyclopedia of RFD Cancels

Rohloff – The Waterbury Cancellations: 1865-90

Russell – Catalogue of US Naval Postmarks (3 Volumes)

Shellabear - Railroad Cancellations on U.S. Revenue Stamps 1862-1875

Skinner/Eno – United States Cancellations 1845-1869

Steiger/Pamerien – A Type Chart of U.S. Postal Meters

Stratton – Descriptive Catalog of the Leavitt Machine Cancellations

Towle /Meyer– Railroad Postmarks of the United States 1861-1886

Towle – United States Railway Post Office Postmark Catalog 1864-1977

Towle – Arizona Territorial Postmark Catalog

Towle – Arizona Railway Postal Markings

Trepel – United States Postmarks and Cancellations

Towle – United States Route and Station Agent Postmarks

Tucker – United States Slogan Postmark Catalog

UPSS - United States Postal Card Catalog

Vlissingen/Waud – New York Foreign Mail Cancellations 1870-1876

Weiss – Foreign Mail Cancellations of NYC 1870-1878

Wierenga – United States Incoming Steamship Mail 1847-1875

WPHS – Nineteenth Century Fancy Cancellations of Wisconsin

Zareski – 19th Century U.S. Fancy Cancellations

Zareski – 2oth Century U.S. Fancy Cancellations

U.S. Cancellation Club News – Quarterly Journal

Machine Cancel Forum

* Who among us remembers the original Price is Right show in the 1950s with Bill Cullen? I could never figure out how the winners of the audience prize – always a new car – could ‘guess’ the price right down to the penny. (The audience never saw Cullen away from his podium - he had polio as a child and walked with a very severe limp.)
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    DonSellos and Makanudo like this.
  4. DonSellos

A very impressive list, and beginning for your blog. I think Peter should declare you the official bibliographer of this forum.

I've always been interested in the cancels on a cover and have attempted in the past to collect a few of the early 20th-century machine cancels. I found, though, that I needed to have a catalog at hand as I couldn't remember the different styles. Never purchased the catalog and my foray into this genre stalled.

Another cancel area that has always interested me is slogan cancels and I would add this title to your list: Moe Luff. United States Postal Slogan Cancels. Reink Books. 2017. A paperback reprint, several earlier editons are available.

You, and the other regulars on the Exchange know of my interest in collecting bullseye cancels on stamps, but I don't seek the different cancel styles for this sidebar collection.

And then there are the precancel catalogs. I have a couple somewhere. If I can find them, I'll provide a citation.

Molokai likes this.
  5. Molokai

Hi, Don -

I added Moe Luff; thanks! I also added a Payne and Langford's Flag Cancels. I think a section for Precancels would be good! The Precancel Society has lotsa publications for openers...Perhaps Articles as I run across them.
  6. Molokai

I am looking for suggestions on how we can keep more of the one-and-done new members active. Not-to-say I haven’t done the same thing – signed up for a forum and after a post or two never went back. I endeavour to post a greeting and encouragement, as several others do, but that doesn’t seem to be working.

Naturally, some newbies do not find enough content to their liking. StampExchange is what it is - a collective of very nice folks from across the philatelic spectrum; a rather eclectic gathering for sure!

The friendliness of the gang here StampExchange is what kept me on long enough to become a regular and post. I am on another stamp forum which has some great content but I don’t find most of the folks over there very friendly and there are quite a few chest beaters.

My only suggestion is more content. Members, especially the StampExchange brain-trust, need to share more of their deep knowledge by initiating new threads with nice images such as <Werner> and <DonSellos> have done recently.

Other ideas?
    Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  7. FitzjamesHorse

FitzjamesHorse Active Member

I wish you well.
    I have been running a Blog on a word press platform for about five years. REsults are mixed. But it gives me an opportunity to say what I think. For me, Blogging has two aspects.......50% of the work/fun is "posting" but 50% is getting reaction in the form of comments.
    So for a Blog to succeed, it needs that feedback and the rest of the folks on Stamp Exchange should commit ourselves to reacting to your Blog.
    I also love lists. If there was no Excel Spread sheets, Id probably have to invent them.
    The list I am currently working on is the 193 United Nations members, the seven additional de facto nations and the UPU territories. Id like to categorise them into the availability of good used stamps.
    For example USA, Germany, Australia............category A nations in terms of availability as indeed are most nations.
    But maybe Ecuador is category B
    and so on....

Of course a lot depends on where a collector lives. Those living in French speaking countries have better access to former French colonies (very difficult to find in genuine used condition in my part of the world)
    DonSellos likes this.
  8. DonSellos

Molokai and Fitzjameshorse:

I agree with the suggestions of both of you, i.e. certainly more, and more varied content for the Exchange and the need for reader feedback. Personally, I would like to see more postings from other members. I feel that I post too much "show and tell" stuff that is not all that interesting to others. There are only four or five of us that post regularly and we seem to have lost two or three frequent posters. I refer to James, who we haven't seen for quite awhile, Hockstrasse, who returns ocassionaly, and Zararina who seems to have left permanently. I have always liked and valued their posts and I wish they would return.

The need for comment on posts is critical, in my opinion, as it frequently encourages the orginal poster and prompts others to add their viewpoints. A country's new issues seems to open the tap, but aside from Fitzjames who posts about Ireland's new stamps, the rest of us don't seem to be much interested in new issues. I'll have to pay more attention to what the U.S.P.O. is selling these days.

All we can do is try. So with that in mind I'll pick up the pace a little and make at least one post per day. I will trust others to comment, favorably or unfavorably, as they feel. I no longer get uptight about how people view my posts. So, those who think I am posting nonsense, misinformation, or boring and trivial stuff are free to tell me so with out offense being taken.

FitzjamesHorse and Molokai like this.
  9. Molokai

Astute! Grazie <DON> and <FITZJAMES>.

<Zararina> was somewhat active when I joined in 2015. <Hoch> still comments, did he say somewhere he was currently focused on coins? It is a little lonely without <James> - I hope he is OK and comes back at least now-and-again. He was quite helpful to me right after I joined. <Makanudo> doesn't post as often.

I do think StampExchange is positioned well in the middle as it were - not a beginner's site, not a specialized site. But when you play for a very wide audience you do need a lot of content to keep everyone engaged.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  10. Molokai

Philatelic Book Want List

My list of philatelic books about U.S. stamps continues to grow! I have 578 volumes on it at this time, of which I have about 150. I thought I’d post my Most Wanted list just in case someone sees any of them for sale at a decent price. I very rarely ‘pay up’ for a book, preferring to wait until I can purchase at a price I can live with, afford. Where available, I much prefer hardbound copies of books.

In the not too distant future, I will begin posting my book lists, broken down by categories. Also, Auction Catalogs for various U.S. issues and other areas of interest but not currently collection- Albania, Hawaii, Newfoundland, Tuva and the Russian Zemstvos.

Chapin - Census of U.S. Classic Plate Blocks

Cole – Cancellations and Killers of the Banknote Era 1870-1894

Drummond - Catalog of Philatelic Miscellany (3 Volumes & Supplement)

Earle – Album Weed (8 volumes)

Hodder/Bower – Encased Postage Stamps

Melville – United States Postage Stamps 1922-1925

Perry/Hall – 100 Years Ago – Centenary of the First Adhesive U.S. Postage Stamps

Peterson/Skinner – 1851 Issue of the United States Stamps: A Sesquicentennial Retrospective

PFO – Opinions: Philatelic Expertizing, An Insider’s View (6 Volumes)

Tiffany – History of the Postage Stamps of the United States

I would like to have an original copy. Missed a nice one on eBay that went for $18.00, but they typically go for $75.00 and I don’t want to pay that much. Phil Bansner (philatelic bookseller) has one for $45.00 which is a tad high but I may purchase it if nothing else shows up soon.

White - Encyclopedia of the Colors of U.S. Postage Stamps (5 Volumes)

The opinions on this work I’ve seen is that it is not really very useful, but it is an impressive set and probably belongs in any serious collection. Lowest price I’ve seen is $500.00 the set which is likely about as low as it gets – most sets are towards $1000.00.

Whitesell – U.S. Newspaper & Periodical Stamps: A Compilation of Articles

This book I would pay up for as it is the biggest single item missing in my N & P resources. It was printed in Saudi Arabia (!) so it probably has a story behind it. The Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library has a copy but I’d like to have one of my own. I found Mr Whitesell’s address about a year ago and sent him a short letter – posted with U.S. Newspaper and Newspaper Boy commemoratives - but never heard back.

- Molokai
  11. Molokai

I was doing my mid-day check on eBay and saw a stamp book published in 1989 listed as vintage. Well, I recognize I’m getting old, but still -1989? The Prexies do not seem very old to me; I remember seeing them on letters when I was a child.

Interesting how time seems to warp and speed up as one gets older. The general explanation is that the number of years passed at a given age changes percentage-wise. When you are 10-years old, five years is half your life; at 50, it is one-tenth. But I still think there is more to it all, somehow. Consider:

The TV show Happy Days first ran in 1974. The show was a nostalgic look back at the ‘old days’ of the late 1950s to the early 1960s. Are there any shows today looking back and yearning for the good old days of 2002?

If I see a 1963 Corvette on the road now, I think ‘Wow, that’s still a cool car and very stylish.’ In 1963 if I saw a 1909 car on the road I would think, ‘Wow, how old.’ (Unless it had been hot-rodded but most of those cars were at least from the mid-1920s.)

My Dad used to say, “Time moves slowly when it is in front of you; quickly when it is behind you.”
    DonSellos likes this.
  12. Molokai

Is anyone here familiar with the U.S. Stamp News? I purchased two copies in an odd-lot of periodicals. Very nice publication with quite interesting articles. Volume 4 No. 6 is November-December 1998. How long did it run? A bold move to publish a new print magazine, going directly into the jaws of the Internet vise!

DonSellos likes this.
  13. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm familiar with the magazine although I have never subscribed. This link should answer some of your questions about the publication. As far as I know it is still a running concern. I have found your blog interesting, keep it up.
    Molokai and DonSellos like this.
  14. DonSellos

Like Hochstrasse, I remember the magazine, but never got around to subscribing. As much as I like the older, out-of-publication philatelic magazines, I do not subscribe to a single one stamp publication today. The exception is Linns. While not subscribing, I used to and Linns continues to send me the online version at no cost. ??? I guess it boosts their circulation numbers to do so.

Wait, there is one other stamp magazine that I receive -- momentarily forgot about it -- the American Philatelic Society Journal which comes to me as part of my annual membership. It is a very slick mag these days. Sometimes a little too slick for my tastes, but it has improved over the years. During my membership, which dates back to 1981, I believe, Bill Welch was its best editor. He always had something worthwhile to say and frequently said it with good humor. I miss him and his work.

Hochstrasse and Molokai like this.
  15. Molokai

Collect 'em all, boys and girls!

Plate Flaws on the 1936 U.S. Christmas Seal!

DonSellos likes this.
  16. Molokai

Did You Know?

'Perfin' is an acronym for PERforated INsignia.
    DonSellos likes this.
  17. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

I don´t think there is any way to make "first-time-members"
    to participate in this forum.It is entirely up to them.
    Several will be mislead by it´s name,as it is not an stamp-exchange
    forum,but an exchange forum of ideas and interests.
    Others simply are not collectors,but just people who have a single
    question,mostly like: "what is the worth of the stamps i got from
    whoem-ever",or is their anybody who wants to buy my "treasures".
    Again others have no means,like a scanner etc.,to participate,or,
    in their own opinion,enough knowledge to make meaningful
    Others,who stay,just want to look through the posts more or less
    on a regular base,but do not want to give any input.Neither
    positve,by pressing the "like-button",nor posting their dislikes.

So there remains a "hard-core" of a few,who like and do the posts
    what keep a forum alive.
    Everybody is invited to join in,but it is not possible to lure them in,
    regardeless what you may try.
    DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  18. Molokai

You are almost certainly correct, <Werner>. But, we can at least try a few things...
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    DonSellos likes this.
  19. Molokai

Awesome, danke <Hoch>. I think I will subscribe even tho it is now only online. It is a good read, IMHO.

I receive the American Philatelist and the Classics Chronicle. I've seen some recent Linn's and find it discouraging - a shadow of its former self. I built a large part of my original collection using Linn's mail auctions. Who could argue with a half-dozen Black Jacks for $5.00 or $6.00?!
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    DonSellos likes this.
  20. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Hi Molokai,
    I was also a long time subscriber to Linn's Stamp News and bid on many of the mail auctions that I found in the back of the paper. Many great deals were to be had in those days and I certainly had my share. Linn's used to be a very thick weekly and as you say is nothing compared to what it was. I'm still an APS member so I get the monthly magazine. Since I've been slowing on my stamp acquisitions in favor of coins these days it still gives me a good sense of the stamp output and latest news of the hobby. Let us know what you think of the online magazine if you do subscribe.
    Molokai and DonSellos like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted