Micronations and Imaginary Country Stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Molokai, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

I first heard of micronations in the 1970s when I was a full-tilt Libertarian and someone claimed a big rock in the ocean as a sovereign country.

Here is the definition from Wiki:

'A micronation, sometimes referred to as a model country or new country project, is an entity that claims to be an independent nation or state but is not recognized by world governments or major international organizations.'

Typically a micronation makes a claim on some piece of land. There are also Imaginary Countries which exist only on paper and in someone's mind. Both are know to produce various country items such as titles, passports, coinage and stamps. Also, fictional countries from literature.

It would seem an Imaginary Country might be safer since they are more difficult to bomb or pillage.:happy:

Here are some stamps for Sealand, perhaps the best known of the micronations. Also, their website in case you just can't take anymore of Donald Trump and feel you need to get away!

https://www.sealandgov.org/about/

Micronationsstamps1.PNG

Please feel free to post stamps and things philatelic from micronations or imaginary countries!

Dick Eassom, anglobob and DonSellos like this.
  2. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Another collecting area to explore! I don't remember having any stamps that would be considered from a micronation. Maybe something from one of the Caribbean islands?

Don

Molokai likes this.
  3. Molokai

I think they qualify as 'micronations' only if someone not a sovereign government claims ownership. Usually a large rock or some small part of a legitimate country. Imaginary countries are strictly on paper. Perhaps I will start a country, Philatelica - you only need to be a stamp collector to obtain citizenship...and $100 for your citizenship certificate. For $1000 more I can make you a Duke or a Duchess. 'Duke of Sellos' sound pretty good!

Here is a picture of Sealand. Take out the chaise lounge, bask in the sun then a dip in the ocean to cool off!

Sealand2.PNG

Home Sweet Home

Dick Eassom and DonSellos like this.
  4. Molokai

Liberland. Tucked between the borders of Croatia and Serbia. Sound like a nice place to settle down!

Liberland.PNG

Dick Eassom and DonSellos like this.
  5. Molokai

6. DonSellos

The strawberry map of G.B. (see the Wikipedia article) should be recognized with a commemorative stamp! What an undertaking!

Don

Dick Eassom and Molokai like this.
  7. Molokai

8. DonSellos

Seem like a lot of work to establish these entities and produce those coins, stamps, etc. Must be some money in it. Are there any countries within the U.S.?

Don

Werner Salentin likes this.
  9. Molokai

The Republic of Molossia!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Molossia

RepMolossiaStamps.PNG

DonSellos likes this.
  10. Molokai

DonSellos likes this.
  11. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

12. Molokai

Hochstrasse and DonSellos like this.
  13. DonSellos

Hmmmmmm, probably not!

Don

14. Molokai

You can still be a Duke in the Republic of Philatelicus for the modest sum of $1000.:mask:

DonSellos likes this.
  15. DonSellos

If I were to do this would I get to go to the head of the line at my local post office? Again, probably not.

Don

16. Molokai

For a small additional sum you could be Postmaster General! The Farley of Philatelicus!

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted