Madagascar overprints

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by redsox81, May 29, 2014.

1. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

Trying to figure out just what that horizontal line is? Its not a type of cancel BC the stamp is mint with gum. I think these issues are so pretty. I just don't get the reason for the black line. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

The stamp appears to be a "blocked out" 1 Franc overprint from 1921. I can't tell if it's a black marker obliteration or some kind of CTO mark. I suspect it's the latter. Lots of CTO's have full gum on the back and have some sort of cancel on the obverse.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  3. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

I wouldnt have guessed that. Is it considered used value? Or carry any value if being a CTO?

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Not one I have come across before and I do have quite a few from Madagascar.

5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

CTO's with full gum are considered used stamps.

6. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

I don't understand the point of this. Wouldn't this particular stamp be worth more money mint than cancelled? I don't see why a collector back when this was cancelled at the post office have more interest in it cancelled when they could have gotten it in mint condition. Don't have a clue what the cancel is of or what type of design they were trying to use, however, i think its a bit sloppy and seems to have some spatter. Hopefully I can find an image of another CTO like so.

7. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Maybe the overprinter or tool used malfunctioned? It looks like it should be just "1". Just in my opinion. :p

8. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

That's what I thought at first too Zar.

9. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

The stamp looks like Scott 128, the 1 franc on 5 francs. It's a puzzler though! Zararina may well be right about a printing error - the stamp may be printer's waste. Other possibilities might be an attempt to change the value back to 5 francs for use as a revenue or tax stamp, or an attempt to demonetize the stamp. It doesn't look like a postal cancel to me. The more I think about it, the more I support the print error and printer's waste theory. All speculation though.

Don

10. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

Thanks everyone for your opinions. Different perspectives other than my own always help!

Steve Robinson likes this.
  11. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

I quite often see prices for used stamps greater than those for mint in the Scott catalog, because many of those stamps were issued for philatelic? purposes and never actually used in postage.

As to the overprint,there is nothing in the Scott catalog that shows this particular overprint. However, there is a stamp with a 1 F.R. overprint. When you draw an overprint line thru the upper portion of the 1 F.R., you get what looks like the stylized crocodile on the stamp.

12. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

Do you suspect the mark is fraudulent?

13. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

No way to know for sure, but it looks straight enough and balanced side-to-side to have been applied by some sort of a print machine . . .for whatever reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted