Lets see your Revenues!

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Jay, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

OK, I'm looking for other folks to post your Revenue, Patent medicine & proprietary stamps for us to see and maybe spark an interest in a new collector or perhaps to maybe just identify that weird but neat looking stamp in the back of your Grand Fathers album.
    Here is some of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Also I know that the special delivery stamp isn't a revenue it just snuck in the shot! lol

3. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Love them, will have to post my British ones LOL and my few American

4. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Nice!
    I had quite a few, but decided I had my hands full just collecting postage, air mail, and ducks, so I got rid of all but a very few samples.
    I just decided that I wasn't going to collect revenues.

Actually, I take that back... I got rid of all my 'Federal Govt' revenues.
    I still have a great many state/local revenues, as well as foreign that I have yet to sort and dispose of.

CalzoneManiac and Jay like this.
  5. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Here is a page that I have. I know that they are not all revenue, but it was easier to just scan the whole page. View attachment 493

6. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Here is the last group I had...
    I let go of them a few days before this site went active.
    Most are faulted pretty good.
    I think I sold this lot for about 2 bux.
    View attachment 514

7. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

8. kacyds

kacyds New Member

I read that wrong at first. I was reading the current value was $1060. lol:eek:

9. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I wish!
    I think I got about 20 bux for the pair.

10. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Wow! I love those periodical revenues! Nice!
    I wonder what catalog value is on that puppy? (ahh $20.00 I read above.) I just love them ratio411! I really wasn't into them until a couple came my way as sort of a bonus in a lot , and so I dug out the ones that originally came down with my collection and realized that there is really no wrong way to collect them! The engravings are just stellar also, so I was hooked!
    I also need a decent copy of the 1¢ & 2¢ Battleships. If you ever decide to sell them off, please give me a "heads up" on it OK? Thank you for replying to this thread I thought it orphaned right out of the gate!
    ~Jay
    EDITED: for punctuation (that I realize is also incorrect) :p

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Oh crap-ola! You already sold them...for 2 bux!!! :( Oh well.

12. Steve Robinson

13. Steve Robinson

14. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Real nice stamps. I really like those prescription stamps. Thanks for sharing.

15. Steve Robinson

:) Got quite a few more just not scanned yet LOL

16. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Awesome! Keep them coming!

17. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Oh man, ratio I would have forked over $$ for that inspected baggage label.

18. MikeTheTech

MikeTheTech Member

Hope I'm doing this right! Here are (what I think are) revenues I have found so far. What exactly defines a revenue vs. a regular stamp? I'm basically going off of similarities to your collections. :)

View attachment 670

19. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Only the .03, .05 & 10¢ Postage Due are Back Of Book, and nice ones too! The rest are pretty common Commem's and definitives.

20. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Revenues are BoB items (back of book), and are not used for postage.
    They were stamps bought from the govt, IRS in most cases (sold through post office though), that show a tax was paid on certain items or activities.
    Kinda like the tax stamp draped over the top of alcohol bottles nowadays.
    Only in the past, they were used on all sorts of items for revenue purposes... Playing cards, medicine bottles, stock certificates, cigars, margarine, documents filed with govt agencies (these revenues are a sub-set called "Documentary" stamps, or "Doc" stamps)... There were all sorts of revenue stamps. I guess even "Duck" stamps are revenue... They were (are) stamps issued when you buy a license to hunt waterfowl.

All that you have posted are postal use.
    Some are BoB stamps, like the 'postage due' stamps, but postage none the less.

I hope this helps some.

Jay likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted