Let's See Some Sailing Ships/Boats

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Gunny, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Jehovahnissi

Jehovahnissi Member

The Isle of Man stamps are impressive. Great quality and artwork.

2. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Early Christmas Ship. :)
    [​IMG]
    source

James-2489 likes this.
  3. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello Z, a cinderella Christmas stamp, do you know anything about it's history? where it is from?
    James.

4. James-2489

Hello all, these sailing ships (incomplete set) from Singapore,
    Date of issue: 1955-09-04

upload_2015-10-11_21-4-0.png

Regards, James.

Gunny likes this.
  5. zararina

Sorry James but I do not know any other details about the stamp aside from it is a US stamp. :D

James-2489 likes this.
  6. James-2489

Hello all, This se-tenant set of sailing ships from the Åland Islands. There are some 6,700 named islands of 20,000 in the group. The Åland Islands are situated in the Baltic sea, an autonomous region of Finland but the national language of the islands is Swedish.
    Date of issue: 1995-03-01
    [​IMG]
    Regards, James.

Gunny likes this.
  7. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Going through all my spare stamps and found this one. It's a Scott # 1356 from 1968.

[​IMG]

zararina and James-2489 like this.
  8. zararina

Nice one you got there. A basic boat used to explore. :)

Gunny likes this.
  9. James-2489

Hello all, these sailing ships from the Turks & Caicos Islands.
    Date of issue: 1948-12-14
    upload_2015-10-23_21-34-3.png

Date of issue:1950-08-02
    [​IMG]

Regards, James.

Gunny and zararina like this.
  10. James-2489

Hello all, this map stamp from Pitcairn Islands showing maps of Norfolk and Pitcairn Islands.

Norfolk Island has a population of 2210 (2014)
    Pitcairn Island has a population of 56 (2013)

[​IMG]
    Pitcairn has issued about 330 stamp issues since 1940.

Regards, James

11. zararina

Hi James, I think that one should be in the stamps with maps thread. ;)

12. James-2489

Hello Z, I agree, I think that my brain was out of gear :confused: Another senior moment :(
    Regards, James.

13. James-2489

Hello all, these tall ships are to correct my err - senior moment yesterday. From Belgium and date of issue: 1995-08-19

upload_2015-10-30_19-2-3.png
    The barquentine Mercator was designed by the Antarctic explorer Adrien de Gerlache (1866–1934) as a training ship for the Belgian merchant fleet. She was named after Gerardus Mercator (1512–1594), Flemish cartographer. She was built in Leith, Scotland and launched in 1932.

upload_2015-10-30_19-2-52.png
    The Kruzenshtern or Krusenstern (Russian: Барк Крузенштерн) is a four-masted barque and tall ship that was built in 1926 at Geestemünde in Bremerhaven, Germany as the Padua (named after the Italian city). She was surrendered to the USSR in 1946 as war reparation and renamed after the early 19th century Baltic German explorer in Russian service, Adam Johann Krusenstern (1770–1846). She is now a Russian sail training ship.

upload_2015-10-30_19-3-57.png
    The Sagres was built in 1937 in shipyard of Blohm & Voss in Hamburg and named the Albert Leo Schlageter. She was the 3rd of four ships built by the German Navy including the Horst Vessel (now the US Coast Guard ship, Eagle). and the Gorch Fock (now the Tovarishch of Ukraine). A sister-ship, Mircea, was also built for the Romanian Navy. During World War II she was taken to Bremerhaven shipyard after damage from a mine and captured by the U.S. forces in 1945. The ship was given to Brazil in 1948 and sailed in as a training ship in the Brazilian Navy under the name Guanabara. In 1962 she was purchased by Portugal purchased to replace the old sail training ship Sagres and is often referred to as the Sagres II.

upload_2015-10-30_19-7-26.png
    In 1925, the Regia Marina ordered two school ships to a design by General Lieutenant Francesco Rotundi of the Italian Navy Engineering Corps, inspired by the style of large late 18th century 74-cannon ships of the line. Amerigo Vespucci, built in 1930 at the (formerly Royal) Naval Shipyard of Castellammare di Stabia (Naples). She was launched on February 22, 1931, and put into service in July of that year.
    The vessel is a full rigged three-masted steel hull 82.4 m (270.34 ft) long, with an overall length of 101 m (331 ft) including the bowsprit and a maximum width of 15.5 m (51 ft). She has a draught of about seven metres (23 ft) and a displacement at full load of 4146 tons. Under auxiliary diesel-electric propulsion the Amerigo Vespucci can reach 10 knots (19 km/h) and has a range of 5450 nm at 6.5 knots.
    She has three steel masts are 50, 54 and 43 metres high, and carry sails totalling 2824 m² (30400 ft²) The Amerigo Vespucci has 26 sails – square sails, staysails, and jibs: all are traditional canvas sails. When under sail in severe sea and wind conditions she can reach 12 knots (22 km/h). The rig, some 30 km of ropes, uses only traditional hemp ropes; only the mooring lines are synthetic, to comply with port regulations.
    The hull is painted black with two white stripes, harking back to the two gun decks of the ships her design is based on, but she carries only two 6pdr saluting guns in pivot mountings on the deck, forward of the mainmast. The deck planks are of teak wood and must be replaced every three years. Bow and stern are decorated with intricate ornaments; she has a life-size figurehead of Amerigo Vespucci. The stern gallery is accessible only through the Captain's saloon.

Regards, James.

Attached Files:

Gunny and zararina like this.
  14. zararina

That's very fine James, I also have those moments and I am not a senior yet. :D

James-2489 likes this.
  15. zararina

A commemorative Australian ship stamp. :)
    [​IMG]
    source

James-2489 likes this.
  16. James-2489

Thermopylae was built for the Aberdeen Line, which was founded in 1825. She measured 212' × 36' × 20.9', with tonnage 991 GRT, 948 NRT and 927 tons under deck.

Thermopylae was designed for the China tea trade, and set speed records on her maiden voyage to Melbourne —63 days, still the fastest trip under sail.

Race with Cutty Sark
    [​IMG]

Thermopylae
    In 1872, Thermopylae raced the clipper Cutty Sark from Shanghai to London. Thermopylae won by seven days after Cutty Sark lost her rudder. From 1882 onward, Thermopylae took part in the Australian wool trade; however, on this route the Cutty Sark proved faster.

Regards, James.

zararina likes this.
  17. zararina

Interesting to know that there was such a race in early ages.

18. James-2489

Hello Z, I expect that it was whoever got the wool (or goods) to English markets first got the best prices.
    James.

zararina likes this.
  19. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Here's a big boat for you. Scott 1091.

[​IMG]

zararina and James-2489 like this.
  20. James-2489

Is the USS Saratoga really too big to enter Hampton Roads:stop::joyful:
    James

Draft saved Draft deleted