Lets see some royal duos on stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Makanudo, May 2, 2016.

1. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

I found this one few days ago and I like it, though I havent researched it yet.
    1b.jpg

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    Hello Amelia:

In my modest collection of Japan stamps is the 1959 wedding set of four stamps, (Sc #s 667-670), issued on April 10, 1959. While I have been adding to my Japan collection for a number of years, I acquired these stamps only recently.

As the scan shows, there is also a souvenir sheet that for some reason the Scott catalog does not list or make reference to. Perhaps, it was/is not valid for postage. I'm hoping someone else might tell us why the SS is not listed, or if it is, where.

I collect mostly used world-wide definitive series, Japan included, but, like you, I found this wedding set attractive and bought it when I saw it offered in a sales circuit book.

Don

Attached Files:

amelia88 likes this.
  3. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

That's a cute one!

4. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Looks like twins. :)

5. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

It is the late Princess Margaret and our Queen Elizabeth II who has recently celebrated her longest reign as a British Monarch.

Regards James.

6. Makanudo

Yes they are.
    Year was 1939 and they could have gone to Canada for the duration of war and be safe, but they stayed on the island and went through the hardship with their people. My symphaties go to Princess Margaret, who had to struggle her whole life in the background :(

7. Makanudo

May she rest in peace and be safe for whole eternity.

8. DonSellos

Makanudo

Nice cancel on this stamp and an attractive stamp. Here's the full set commemorating the Royal Visit to Canada in 1939.

Royal visit00050006.jpg Royal visit00050005.jpg Royal visit0007.jpg

James-2489, zararina and Molokai like this.
  9. Makanudo

Don Sellos,

Thanks for info. I still cannot get it what makes a good cancellation :bag:
    Somehow I think I may have all three stamps. I'll have to rummage through my envelopes. It would be nice to complete the set.
    Thanks!

10. DonSellos

Makanudo:

It's all in the collector's eye. Lots of collectors like only mint stamps and to them all cancels ruin a stamp. Others, like me, prefer used stamps, but even many of those who prefer used will collect only those with "light cancels." The 1c and 3c I posted above have what I consider light cancels. The 2c, however, has a wavy line cancel that many collectors don't like.

Your stamp has what usually is referred to as a CDC (circle date cancel). It contains the canceling post office (city), the state or province, the day, month, and year, and the time posted. The closer to being centered on the stamp the better. Yours is a nice cancel with all of the elements I mentioned. It is not perfect, however. It is a little left of center, the year is not clear, and there is a portion of the dreaded wavy line cancel on the right. Still, as one who collects CDCs, I would buy your stamp if not too pricey.

Just my opinion on what constitutes a "good" or "nice" cancel.

Don

11. Makanudo

Don,

Things are much clearer to me now, regarding cancels. Thank you for sharing your views with me.
    PM me with the price that works for you.

Thanks & Regards

12. DonSellos

Makanudo:

It is the value of the stamp that drives the price, The stamp in question, Canada Sc. 246, has minimum catalog value. I don't need the stamp for my Canada collection and the cancel, while attractive to me, does not in itself enhance the value of the stamp. If I saw this stamp at a stamp bourse or in a sales circuit book I might pay up to U.S. .35 cents for it. I would prefer to pay .10 to.15 cents. I rarely pay more than .50 cents for a stamp to add to my cancels on stamps collection. Given the cost of postage from your country to the U.S., I don't see how it could be sold by you or purchased by me profitably.

That, however, does not make it less attractive. It just cannot be marketed profitably as a single item using the mails.

Don

13. Makanudo

Fair enough.
    I didnt mean to advertise it here. I just reacted to your comment.
    Take care

14. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Great set and good to read the details here. :)

Makanudo likes this.
  15. amelia88

amelia88 Member

[​IMG]

This one is the Crown Prince and Princess of Japan - sadly it's not my stamp but one I would love to get my hands on one day - since living here for the last few years I have been fascinated with Japanese culture and customs so this would be an awesome one to get.

DonSellos, James-2489 and Makanudo like this.
  16. DonSellos

Best Answer
    Hello Amelia:

In my modest collection of Japan stamps is the 1959 wedding set of four stamps, (Sc #s 667-670), issued on April 10, 1959. While I have been adding to my Japan collection for a number of years, I acquired these stamps only recently.

As the scan shows, there is also a souvenir sheet that for some reason the Scott catalog does not list or make reference to. Perhaps, it was/is not valid for postage. I'm hoping someone else might tell us why the SS is not listed, or if it is, where.

I collect mostly used world-wide definitive series, Japan included, but, like you, I found this wedding set attractive and bought it when I saw it offered in a sales circuit book.

Don

Attached Files:

amelia88 likes this.
  17. Makanudo

Heres another from my arsenal...
    001.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  18. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

Well,the ss.is listed in Scott as 668a !

19. DonSellos

Yes, there it is, 668a, big as life! Thanks, Werner.

Don

20. Makanudo

21. DonSellos

The UK Royal Visit stamps are some of the best in my opinion.

Don

James-2489 and Makanudo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted