Learning about stamp collecting

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ram, Feb 14, 2015.

1. ram

ram Member

Hello my name is ram.
    I'm collecting stamps for about ten years, but I've never learned about it, because it's not very common in my country, I will deeply appreciate it if you will help me learn more about it

2. Jaap Hol

Jaap Hol New Member

Hello Ram, i collect stamps since i was a little boy. I collect stamps ww, i learn much about countries, animals, habits, buildings, important persons, a.s.o.
    Its not important for me to get something comlete, because thats hardly not possible. You can buy it complete.
    I also collect used stamps, thats the most difficult. Unused stamps you can buy, thats not difficult.
    The value from my collection is not important for me. For me is important for me "the emotional worth"
    Its up to you what to choose
    used/not used what kind all/flowers/animals/dresses/persons a.s.o.
    If you have more questions, asking is free
    Jaap

James-2489 likes this.
  3. ram

ram Member

Hello jaap, I thank you for your answer, I've a question for you, and my question is, how can you learn about these things from stamp collecting?

4. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

First of all, welcome to this forum.

As to how you can learn from stamps, take your pick. Most people in the US can't name more than maybe a couple of presidents that served the US, let alone the order in which they served. Name more than two national parks? When was the US civil war? When did the US or Russia launch their first satellites or their names?

Topicals? Art stamps. Transportation (airplanes, ships, wheeled vehicles). Lighthouses. Flowers. Insects. Space. Olympics.

Some people 'get into the weeds' in terms of printing techniques used. Or perhaps specialize in plate # coils. Or plate block 'positions'.

And some of us just collect to accumulate 'stuff'. For example, I'm going to order some cancelled US stamps today to fill in blank spaces in my US used collection. Some of those stamps are hard to find, but not necessarily costly, just hard to find. To me, it's like completing a jigsaw puzzle that has no borders (edge pieces).

And then there are the totally oblivious citizens who don't collect stamps. They buy their definitive stamp booklets at the grocery store for the few bills they might mail each year, don't write letters anymore, and could care less about what's depicted on any stamp.

James-2489 likes this.
  5. Jaap Hol

Jaap Hol New Member

6. Jaap Hol

Jaap Hol New Member

7. ram

ram Member

Thank you Larry for your answer. Larry Would you like to exchange stamps with me?

8. Jaap Hol

Jaap Hol New Member

Its better i dont type a reply again, its better people were English is the language they reply, i cant type a reply so as you, Larry. I talk only Dutch, German , a bit French and English, but my English is school-English, learned 50 years ago. I only use simple words.
    So soom i will leave this group and search a group were people typ simple English and accept my simple English

9. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Hello Jaap,

Do pass to your thinking negative comments as I can not see negatives myself.
    Like 'ram' who wants to exchange stamps to learn is a step to cross the bridge.

To 'ram'

The answer to why anyone started collecting stamps 50 or more years ago or to start today may be complex.

Like any hobby, it should be enjoyable, soul-rewarding, after all it is your time spent.

But learning about stamps, I say study the introductory pages of a stamp catalogue as basis to a direction.

Then you can study the stamps, what ever you may fancy.

10. ram

ram Member

Thank you philactica for your answer

11. ram

ram Member

Thank you Larry for your answer. Larry Would you like to exchange stamps with me?

12. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Welcome to the forum Ram. :)

ram likes this.
  13. Jaap Hol

Jaap Hol New Member

14. Larry L. Taylor

I guess it depends on where you live. I have not had great success in exchanges with others outside of the US/Canada & W. Europe. Appears the international mail system is too prone to pilferage/non-delivery.

15. Larry L. Taylor

My apologies for the 'diatribe'. But, others may have the same/similar question(s) and sometimes read these posts to such questions.

Don't let your self-admitted limitations in the English language discourage you from joining in the exchanges here. I'm sure I'd do even worse with my 50 year old French (n'est pas), and even worse with the German I supposedly learned in high school.

16. Jaap Hol

Jaap Hol New Member

Thanks for reply, i will first give a bit information about myself.
    During the 60 years i collect i have learned much about the world, countries,languages, towns,animals,flowers, currencies a.s.o.
    I have now more as 50000 stamps, that are still not many.
    Thats why i like to exchange/trade ( is that the same?).
    Al those years i have tradet 1000th But i dont like to exchange in small amouts. Thats to expensive because of postage.
    I collect for fun, to learn a bit, and time-pass
    I have my collection ordered by continent, countries(A-Z),
    year( only with countries i have many)

17. ram

ram Member

Jaap I thank you for your answer, Unfortunately currently I don't exchange more than 10, 20 or 30 stamps at a time because I don't have that much stamps for Exchange
    Larry, I'm from israel, i hope That you will agree to exchange stamps with me altogh I'm not from Europe

18. tasha

tasha Active Member

There are many old coin and stamp shops that will have stamps for you to collect and you could also check online at ebay or from some of the links that have stamps for collectors to either swop or buy. The trick is to make sure that you have a good place to keep them as thwy can get damaged if stored in the wrong way.

19. Larry L. Taylor

I can do a swap with you. I've done a previous exchange with a collector in Israel that went OK. What country are you interested in & what kind of stamps are you looking for? Definitives, commemoratives, or back-of-book (airmails, special delivery, postage dues)?

20. ram

ram Member

Thank you larry for agreeing to swap stamps with me, I am collecting all kind of stamps, but I am mostly interested in animals, art and in dinosaurs stamps.
    Larry I have a question for you, and my question is: what kind of stamps are you interested in?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted