Latest Acquisition

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Gunny, Sep 24, 2020.

1. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

These are also listed in Maury,all with quite a high catalogue value.
    I saw a few of these for sale when I was at Stampex 2019 in London and was advised by the dealer that there are numerous forgeries and to only buy if there is a recognised certificate.The actual Mercure stamp without any overprint has a catalogue value of less than 1 euro,so it must be very tempting to produce high quality forgeries.

DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  2. RichardBabcock

RichardBabcock Well-Known Member

3. RichardBabcock

4. RichardBabcock

IMG_20210319_0008.jpg Owned this cover for years Scott 279Bc 1899 R.P.O IMG_20210319_0009.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  5. RichardBabcock

2021B_35_4.jpg Over 1500 fancy cancels on Scott 231, Will post in Fancy cancels form when it arrives. Plus broken hat types and so on. 2021B_35_1.jpg Found another 4 th man broken hat in this collection.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    DonSellos likes this.
  6. RichardBabcock

Arrived last week Scott 231 Broken hat with fancy cancel. Im adding all to my research study, Well over ten thousand stamps on off covers in the study now. IMG_20210411_0001.jpg

DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  7. RichardBabcock

A letter from one brother to another talking about it getting sent on stage, And make sure it was burned after reading it. Luckily it was not. Sent during the War or 1812 New York Dec 23, with Rare un registered Strait Line cancel plus error. The last one I seen from Kingston Canada only known error strait line cancel sold for tens of thousands a few months ago. Sent to PF for cert. IMG_20210425_0001.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    BettyBoop likes this.
  8. RichardBabcock

!894 Texas Decatur Feb 22, 25,26.unlisted K fancy cancel Scott 231 Broken frame line type. IMG_20210425_0002.jpg

anglobob, BettyBoop and DonSellos like this.
  9. RichardBabcock

Scott 231 GG doubled lower right frame line missing IMG_20210425_0003.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  10. RichardBabcock

1410.jpg Pre cancel full gum PSE 2019 cert, graded 100. I might not win this at auction but I have wishful thinking that I will.

BettyBoop and DonSellos like this.
  11. RichardBabcock

Im looking for information on this company from Chicago that made this cover. Looks to be a prepaid cover canceled in Chicago then two half cent precancels applied to cover new postal rates, of one cent? any impute would be great. IMG_20210601_0001.jpg

BettyBoop, DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  12. RichardBabcock

Don My pocket was not deep enough lol

13. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Richard,
    Madison Brothers Inc. provided a national custom tailoring service. An interesting traveling salesman case on Ebay is being offered.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/MADISON-BR...LESMANS-MENS-FABRIC-SAMPLE-CASE-/124083578702

As far as the stamps are concerned you have a really good find.
    "But what about Sec. 435 ½ P.L.&R.?
    If you have Sec. 435 ½ P.L.&R. marked on your envelope, you lucky devil, it’s pre- October 1, 1932. I don’t yet have a verifiable start date for this mandatory notation, but I’m working on it." It has to do with early bulk mailing rates for a specific number of mailings or specific weight of the mailings. Indeed 1c is the correct rate for this mailing.
    http://wesewretro.com/2011/11/how-to-date-vintage-mail-order-sewing-patterns/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    DonSellos likes this.
  14. RichardBabcock

Thank you, It appears to be 1929, I cant find much on the patent, but it would have been patented in 29. Maybe the company changed there name the same year that patent the envelope. The one cent rate would be for post cards. It was two cents in 1929, Unless there is a one cent prepaid marking under the two stamps?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    Hochstrasse likes this.
  15. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Richard,
    Yes, the mailing cost is 1c for this type I bulk mailing because it came in a bundle of 200 pieces or 20 pounds of mail and has nothing to do with post cards. As I said before this first type of bulk mail letter is desirable because not as many of the 435 1/2 P. L. & R. overprints of this introductory rate actually survived.

16. RichardBabcock

17. RichardBabcock

18. BettyBoop

BettyBoop Active Member

Just received this one to add to my Olympic collection - Moscow 1980 IMG_0001.jpg

19. Bj Slusarczyk

Bj Slusarczyk New Member

It has been sent to the APS for certification.

20. RichardBabcock

IMG_20210713_0001.jpg JUst arrived today my 1812 letter now registered magenta cancel, earliest one. Note it upside down on cert lol. This is the first time if used the PF. Came with bill stating they dont take credit cards. Only took two months not bad aps takes 4 months. I guess the cancel is more important then the letter lol.To add an expert wrote on the back Lansingburgh NY 1812 unlisted incolour and 2 years earlier then thought. came in 4 envelopes packed with hard card double plastic holder. Is this the Jenning ? LOL

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    Hochstrasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted