Largest Multi-pal on cover

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by RICHARD Babcock, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Two color shades, fast trains, with private stamp. Any info on Eaton stamp would help. train2.jpg

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Hi Richard:

Welcome to the Exchange!

I don't have any info about the return label for Eaton's Stamps, however, I think your cover is a highly collectible item. I collect Iowa stamp dealer covers and have one from Eaton's dated 1905. It has a different seal for a return address (see below). To date, I have been unable to locate any bio or business info on D. T. Eaton. I wish I could find some. Given that my cover is addressed to someone in Massachusetts, I suspect that he advertised in one or more stamp papers or magazines. Unfortunately, I don't have access to any of those from that time period.

Don

aaa1-scfopt.jpg

3. Michael Javick

Michael Javick New Member

4. Michael Javick

5. Michael Javick

6. DonSellos

Michael:

Thank you for the link to D.T. Eaton's death notice. I have been looking for some info about him for a long time. I much appreciate your post.

Don

7. Thank You Michael

8. americanphilate191905amer_0006.jpg Ninth person in third row . D.T Eaton. American Philate, 1905

DonSellos likes this.
  9. DonSellos

Is that annual report from the APRL? Very interesting. The notice in Meekels said he was active in the APS. Thanks for providing the link.

Don

10. Im all so trying to find info on the Morris Return Stamp Company. It may have burned down and never rebuilt. Im still researching it.

11. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Hello Richard, thank-you for a very interesting thread. I hadn't the slightest idea that those return stickers we now find in charity envelopes had their origin that far back.

Do you suspect that the Morris Return Stamp Company to have been a casualty of the great East Davenport, Iowa fire? It sort of makes sense that they would be near the large Weyerhauser & Denkmann lumber yard.
    I saw another example online with the same Davenport, Iowa origin as your example.

http://swansongrp.com/picdocs/label3.html

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted