Large stamp collection just purchased

Discussion in 'What's it Worth?' started by seattlite86, Nov 5, 2018.

1. seattlite86

seattlite86 New Member

Hi there, I just purchased a large amount of stamps, several hundred dollars worth, and before I go peeling them all off and mailing them, I just wanted to make sure none of these have any real value. If anyone sees anything that sticks out to them, please let me know. If I do not hear anything specific, I will probably just use all the stamps and sell the very nice album they are in. Thank you for your time![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    These are contemporary U.S. commemorative stamps. All of them can be sold, but not for much over face value. They are all readily available for sale on eBay and my suggestion would be to search eBay for corresponding items and see what your selling competition is. As an example, type Celebrate the Century into eBay's stamp category search box. I don't collect U.S. stamps, but my sense is the planet sheets might be your best sellers. Again, type the titles of the sheets into eBay's search. You could also try selling the lot as discount postage, but discounts from face value usually exceed 20% or more.

Not good news, I'm sure, but there are just a lot of stamps like these for sale.

Regarding Molokai's reference to the $5 Columbian, it is to the highest face value of the set of stamps issued in 1893 to commemorate the Columbian Exposition held in Chicago the same year. A mint $5 Columbian will sell for several thousand dollars depending upon its condition.

The sheets reproducing the 1898 Trans-Mississippi Exposition issue might also sell with a small profit. Check the eBay prices on those for sure.

Don

3. seattlite86

seattlite86 New Member

You might have to reply to the message to see the photos, sorry about that, I copied the links from another post I made on Cointalk.

4. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Let's hope you don't post a small package with a $5 Columbian! o_O

5. seattlite86

seattlite86 New Member

Sorry, I'm not a stamp collector, so I have no idea what you mean, or why that could possibly be funny. Though I always appreciate humor, if you know anything about stamps, it would be nice if you could maybe include something that's helpful/useful in here, like whether there might be something worth setting aside or if I should just mail them all. Thanks :)

6. seattlite86

seattlite86 New Member

I've re-loaded the photos so you can see them. Most of these stamps are around the 30-32 cent value, though the hologram ones go all the way up to $3.50. Are there any stamps that have a value of about 32 cents that I should specifically look for?

4EC862BC-97DF-462A-9798-FECA595D8998.jpeg 5C5D2E5B-6AAB-4174-B963-848DD5C5137D.jpeg 8D060127-1DF3-47BC-A808-BFA08FA661A4.jpeg 921B003F-4317-47A0-B790-D38B22ED9D54.jpeg 3261FBC0-7CBF-4A48-8C66-54A47C39D787.jpeg A84B2099-2056-41D0-8D54-083FB162F381.jpeg AB5CB17A-597B-4C84-9101-F48979BD95EF.jpeg

7. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    These are contemporary U.S. commemorative stamps. All of them can be sold, but not for much over face value. They are all readily available for sale on eBay and my suggestion would be to search eBay for corresponding items and see what your selling competition is. As an example, type Celebrate the Century into eBay's stamp category search box. I don't collect U.S. stamps, but my sense is the planet sheets might be your best sellers. Again, type the titles of the sheets into eBay's search. You could also try selling the lot as discount postage, but discounts from face value usually exceed 20% or more.

Not good news, I'm sure, but there are just a lot of stamps like these for sale.

Regarding Molokai's reference to the $5 Columbian, it is to the highest face value of the set of stamps issued in 1893 to commemorate the Columbian Exposition held in Chicago the same year. A mint $5 Columbian will sell for several thousand dollars depending upon its condition.

The sheets reproducing the 1898 Trans-Mississippi Exposition issue might also sell with a small profit. Check the eBay prices on those for sure.

Don

8. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Excellent reply <DON>.

Some of them are really very attractive. I've bought several them. Confession - I also purchased a dozen of the Inverted Jenny sheets, hoping to find an upright. Figured the odds were a little better than the lottery but no luck.

seattlite86 likes this.
  9. seattlite86

seattlite86 New Member

Actually, thank you for the feedback. This is what I was expecting to hear, but I wanted to ask anyway. I am very happy with the rate I purchased these at and will make decent money even if I simply mail them all. I just thought that some of them were very beautiful and unique and thought I would raise the question before ruining them. I'll set aside the trans-Mississippi exposition ones, as well as the cool space looking ones. I'll take better photos of the ones I think look "collectible" and if you guys can opine on any you think should be spared, that would be great.

Basically, if someone wanted to send me face value and cover the cost of shipping, I'd be happy to send them any of these stamps. I'm not looking to cash in here, I'd just prefer they go to a collector that wants them, vs on top of my priority mail boxes, which is where they're headed. Thank you again :)

10. seattlite86

seattlite86 New Member

Thanks, I agree, especially the hologram space ones. I'll try to get some better photos and share them. Too bad some of them are >$10 stamps or I'd probably keep them for fun (I'm a coin collector and cannot start any new collections, but I can admire neat things).

Draft saved Draft deleted