It all began.................

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by West, Feb 27, 2012.

1. West

West New Member

...........when I just couldn't throw the envelopes away because some of the stamps were too nice.
    It lead me ultimately to this site and I have no idea.
    Does anyone want to lead me through it?

2. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

hi West and welcome to the forum, have a read through some of the treads, there are some great links on them to starting out stamp collecting.

as a new collector have a think about the direction you would like to go, country, era's themes etc and let us know, and then if you send me your address in private message i will send you a small welcome pack of stamps for you to start progressing in the direction you would like to go

Steve

3. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Welcome to the forum, West!!!

4. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Great to have you with us WEST, I have been at it for about a year and love it and sorry I did not start earlier. Any question, just ask and some one will get you an answer.

Tom

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

It IS great to have you here WEST! Feel free to ask ANY question and we love pictures and especially scans of your (*or any) stamps. Dig in and have fun! -Jay

6. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Welcome to the Stamp Exchange!

7. West

West New Member

Thank you fellow members.
    I fear at the moment I only have stamps that many would throw away and have not even decided what to look for.
    I am not going to save everything, as I have neither the time nor the finance and I understand most collectors stick to certain themes.
    Has anyone a theme to recommend?

8. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Make your Theme - Collect Old stamps - old as you will find by relatives or Friends and discover more in a library. Go to a stamp show to see what is old.

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I think one or so of our members offer welcome packets. What ever happened to Alvin? Anyone heard from him lately?

10. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

No, but I have been thinking of him. It may be due to the school is still in session, with him being a teacher.

11. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Welcome here West. ;)
    Stamps can stay with the envelops and those are stamps on covers.
    Try having a theme that interests you the most and makes you feel happy seeing them grow. Just like if you like stamps with events or nature.

12. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

I sent him a message last week as i have not seen him about, let us hope it is just as Tom says he is a teacher and very busy with his students

Jay likes this.
  13. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

West, a little tip for you :)
    no stamp is useless, even a damaged stamp has its place in an album, these are called space fillers, and although they do not hold much value, they are what they say, they save the space in your album for that stamp, when you pick up or recieve a better version of the stamp you then replace the space filler.
    this goes on and on, as you may have a great stamp but a very hard cancel or off set, it stays as part of the collection and when you have one with a lighter cancel, or better centered you then upgrade your collection.
    i have many space fillers, and hard cancels myself, so it is exciting when i find a replacement of better quality, or centering, finer cancel and this is all part of the experience of collecting stamps.
    i always offer new collectors now a welcome pack, if they know the country or theme i can make it steer towards that direction, if not i send a pack of worldwide stamps (aprox 100), all i need is your address in PM

Steve

14. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Welcome to the forum WEST!

What to collect? Worldwide is a daunting undertaking when just beginning. By country (usually your resident country?) By date (nothing after 1960? anything after year 2000?) Topical (flowers? birds? animals? cars? airplanes? [suggests airmails], ships? royalty? castles? Disney? Olympic issues?) Used vs. mint? Souvenir sheets?

Just be careful - it can be an addicting hobby.

15. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi West welcome to the forum :) as for what to collect the simplest answer to that is whatever you like (might sound trite but it is true) what one person collects might not suite you Me I am a magpie LOL I try to limit my collection to pre 1945 world (not with much joy I keep seeing bits I like LOL) Have you tried any of the stamp fairs yet? here in London we have a good one every Saturday morning underneath Charring Cross station and there are many others dotted about the country :D

16. West

West New Member

17. West

West New Member

I like this idea the best, I think it sounds right for me.
    So I think I shall collect George V
    plus I shall buy new from the post office.
    I will collect George V only to limit my spend, except for the new. Thank you everyone for your various advices. I have another question now.
    Where will I get a nice book to put old George in and how much should I spend?
    Should I get two books and put new stuff seperate?

18. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

If you are talking of King George V, his era was 1910 to 1936, and the collection if you include the Empire as it was at the time is very large, and some stamps are a little on the expensive side, but do not be suckered in by the hype, there are some fine specimins that can be found for a reasonable price.
    if this is your choice, i can send you a welcome pack with all KGV from defins and commems from this era then you will have the fun of finding the different watermarks, colour vfariations etc.

let me know

Steve

19. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

oh and i also have album pages that i have made myself for the GB KGV that i could email you so you can print them off yourself

20. West

West New Member

Dear Steve,
    I am not going to include the empire, thanks to your advice it sounds beyond me financially.
    I will just collect English. I think I will also just collect mint. This will mean I do not have to learn all about post marks and envelopes and so on.
    Is there no pre printed book that I can get to put them in?
    I am thinking that presenting them smartly is my goal here and anyway I do not have a printer, so while your offer is very very kind, I am going to look for something really nice.
    As for your stunningly generous offer to send me stamps, I do not think I could accept them for nothing. Do you have a site where they are for sale, I would love to see them?
    What are defins?
    Assume I know nothing and you will be over estimating me.

Draft saved Draft deleted