Island stamps

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by tasha, Feb 5, 2016.

1. tasha

tasha Active Member

This could be interesting but what about places like small islets and islands without postal codes, do you think they have stamps or a postal service and if so lets see them?

2. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello Tasha, Even small islands can have a postal code or a country name.
    For instance, Pitcairn Islands are a group of four volcanic islands in the southern Pacific Ocean, they form the last British Overseas Territory in the Pacific. The four islands – Pitcairn, Henderson, Dulcie and Oeno – are spread over several hundred miles of ocean and have a total land area of about 47 square kilometres (18 sq mi). Only Pitcairn, the second largest island measuring about 3.6 kilometres (2.2 mi) from east to west, is inhabited. The island is inhabited by the descendants of the Bounty mutineers and the Tahitians (or Polynesians) who accompanied them, an event retold in numerous books and films. This history is still apparent in the surnames of many of the islanders.
    With a population (2013 est) of 56 inhabitants, originating from four main families, Pitcairn is the least populous national jurisdiction in the world.

Pitcairn Island has been issuing its own stamps since 1940-10-15 see below.
    [​IMG]

Regards, James

3. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

The wife and I are close to being able to start traveling on an extended basis... not retiring but able to pick and choose dates that can be extended to weeks. The Caribbean's are close by; the South Pacific islands are high on the "wanna go to" list as well.

4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Most countries, territories and islands are members of the Universal Postal Union and as such have postal codes. As James has mentioned even Pitcairn has a postal code as you can look up on the link to the UPU below.
    http://www.upu.int/en/activities/addressing/postal-addressing-systems-in-member-countries.html

zararina and James-2489 like this.
  5. James-2489

Hello all, a photo's found on the web, from Pitcairn Island.
    First is the list of the British mutineers
    upload_2016-2-6_10-30-43.png
    Next the list of the polynesians who also arrived with the Bounty.
    upload_2016-2-6_10-35-29.png

Regards, James.

ram, zararina and SATX Collector like this.
  6. SATX Collector

Again: I appreciate your in-depth research... that means I don't have to!!:D

But I am STILL very much interested...

7. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Very interesting photos and information for that island. :)

8. James-2489

::

Hello, the in-depth research took about three minutes, open google earth, type in "Pitcairn Island" zoom in and look at the posted images, copy two. Research complete. Paste and post images into stampexchange.
    Return to google earth and browse for a minute or three.
    Return to babysitting.

James.

zararina and SATX Collector like this.
  9. tasha

tasha Active Member

Thank you wow who knew that they would have a postal code but I guess it makes sense as we all need to be able to correspond with others at some stage. I personally like the idea of a message in a bottle but we do live in a modern world!

10. James-2489

Hello Tasha, A little postcode trivia.
    Bardsey Island is listed as being inhabited since the early Christian era, Now having a population of 4 people.

There are several houses for rent on the island, If you enjoy a peaceful holiday.

Bardsey Island
    PWLLHELI, Wales, UK.
    LL53 8DE

upload_2016-2-8_18-41-59.png

Regards, James.

zararina likes this.
  11. SATX Collector

Might just do it!!!:)

James-2489 likes this.
  12. zararina

Good Googling skills James, quite sure a good baby sitter too. :D

James-2489 likes this.
  13. tasha

tasha Active Member

Thank you James it might be fun to get away to somewhere where there is nobody else around, wow four people! I would absolutely love it and hopefully the weather would be island weather too!

14. James-2489

Wales is definitely not tropical.
    James.

15. tasha

tasha Active Member

No I have been to wales and the weather in England etc has never been inviting for me especially when I come from the tropics. I love the sun and it would be great to move from summer to summer country to country!

16. James-2489

Hello all, that is why I chose this part of Thailand to live, best weather rarely too hot or too cold. Thailand is about 2000 km (1250 miles) north to south and we are about the centre. about 13 degrees north of the equator.
    On my wifes first visit to the UK in 2003, the temperature in Bangkok was 44'c (111'f) and 11½ hours later, London was experiencing its hottest July for about 60 years, 29'c (84'f) My wife Nanthiya had to change into Jeans, sheepskin jacket and fur-lined boots before we reached customs, you could hear her teeth chattering from five paces.

Regards, James.

17. tasha

tasha Active Member

it must be rather difficult for someone to go through a British winter or summer for that matter if you are from the tropics! I am currently sitting in 35 degrees and it is not even midday yet. But I love it!

18. zararina

Most likely, my outfit will be just as you described it if I will be on such place. :D

19. James-2489

Hello all, it is surprisingly easy to acclimatise to the temperature change.

I'm from the UK, with a temperature variation of -20'c (-3'f) (with wind chill) to +30 (88'f), you dress accordingly. Here in my village about 80% are Europeans with Thai wives/partners. Most spend some time in Europe and enjoy the fact that with a few extra layers of clothes you can walk around outside for hours in comfort. Here walking between 9 til 4 is best avoided.
    One other thing that my wife loved on her first summer visit was that we could sit in the garden at 9 or 10 pm (21:00-22:00) in daylight and enjoy a garden party.
    Here the day length varies by about 40 minutes through the year, basically 06:00 to 18:00 summer or winter (not that we have a winter) Outside of these hours you need to switch your lights on (home or car).

One of my neighbours is married to a Finnish man, in the summer the sun barely sets (23½ hour day), in their winter the sun barely rises and is only visible if the weather is good. She has lived in Finland for four years now.

Regards, James.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  20. tasha

tasha Active Member

wow, here the sun rises at 4:30 and sets at 7pm but you cannot be outdoors in February between 11 and 3 as you will get burned it is so hot. I don't really have a winter here but in June and July it does get a little cooler and it goes to about 16 degrees celcius where we need to put on a jacket.

James-2489 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted