Is there a local stamp collecting show in your area?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Peter T Davis, May 20, 2014.

1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

I frequently go to local coin shows, but have not been to a stamp show. I'm not sure even where/when they're held and if they're held in my area. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Are there regular shows in your area?

2. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

We do not have local stamp shows here. Maybe the main post office have some shows or celebrations but very rare.

3. derailed

derailed Active Member

I didn't even know that there are stamp collecting shows. Well, it's a nice idea, but I don't think that it would be very known. Stamp collecting is not that common after all.

4. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Seems to be about 3 per year in Salt Lake City - but that's a 220 mile drive (one-way) for me. Usually car pool and do it in one day, so it's a long day. It's the only source I would use to buy things like the GrafZep set or high-value early American stamps; gotta see them before I pay the big bucks!

5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

The APS website has an event search page where a person can search for shows by a number of criterion. In my area we have a website called Northern California Stamp Shows that list the big shows in my area during the calendar year. Typically a show of any size would have a website listing. I would suggest trying a web search. The APS lists only shows in the States.

http://stamps.org/Show-Calendar
    http://stampshows.com/california_n.html

zararina and Peter T Davis like this.
  6. derailed

derailed Active Member

I googled it and it seems like a pretty nice activity. Well, now I envy you guys for being able to take part in these shows. It's such a pity that my country doesn't promote cultural events so much.

7. I can't seem to find anything to do with stamp collecting in my town. I have looked into a few events, but sadly they are at least a two hour drive. :(

8. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a couple of quite big ones here in London every year as well as a good weekly stamp/coin fair underneath Charing cross station every Saturday :)

9. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

I regularly go to at least four or five shows every year. Three of them have APS sponsored exhibits, the other two are local. The shows offer opportunities to meet other like-minded collectors, see stamps and covers up close that one doesn't usually have the opportunity to see, and, or course, buy stamps, covers, and collecting supplies. I have found that dealers prices are higher at shows than online or in philatelic publication ads, but then dealers who attend these show have travel, lodging, food, and table space costs to make up. In my opinion, bargains are not easily found at stamp shows.

Don

Steve Robinson likes this.
  10. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to agree with Don's comments above for the most part, I would however say that if you hunt and are willing to try and beat the price down bargains can still be had :)

11. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Lucky you, I hope there such an event even just once a year here too. ;)

Steve Robinson likes this.
  12. rainydaystamps

rainydaystamps New Member

There are 2 held on a monthly basis here in Brisbane Australia, and a large one a couple of times a year. In addition, all of the stamp clubs have an annual stamp fair which attract plenty of visitors.

Draft saved Draft deleted