Irish stamp Scott?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth?' started by CHAR, Mar 15, 2018.

1. CHAR

CHAR New Member

hi there
    We don’t know much about stamps, but found this tucked away in my late great aunts things. I’ve done some research but I can’t seem to pin down the exact stamp edition.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

CHAR:

Given the 1930s postmark, the stamp is Ireland Scott 68 which has minimum catalog value. Maybe 5c to 25c if you can find a buyer.

Don

3. FitzjamesHorse

FitzjamesHorse Active Member

Yes...as above.
    Its a very common stamp although one of the coil varieties is the Holy Grail of Irish Stamp Collecting.

4. CHAR

CHAR New Member

Thank you so much. Is the post mark the number on the right in ink? On closer inspection it is a 35. The top of the 5 is very faint. I suppose it still makes no difference though.

5. FitzjamesHorse

FitzjamesHorse Active Member

It was posted on 10th July 1935 in Dublin (Baile Átha Cliath)

6. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

CHAR:

The posting date in this case is significant for identification of the stamp because Ireland issued a stamp of the same design and color, but with different watermark in 1940. Had the postmark been 1940 or later the watermark would have needed to be checked to determine which stamp issue and Scott number it was. Since your stamp was posted in 1935 it can only be Scott 68. The value of both stamps, however, is the same.

Don

7. CHAR

CHAR New Member

Interesting. Thanks so much for all your help

Draft saved Draft deleted