Ireland 2018 Issues

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by FitzjamesHorse, Feb 8, 2018.

1. FitzjamesHorse

FitzjamesHorse Active Member

The first issues of 2018
    1 200th Anniversary of General Post Office
    2 50th Anniversary of Death of Chester Beatty (who donated his large oriental art collection to the nation)
    3 Definitives (Phase II of "100 Objects" set) NewIssuesJan181.jpg NewIssuesJan182.jpg NewIssuesJan181.jpg NewIssuesJan182.jpg

Makanudo, Molokai and DonSellos like this.
  2. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Attractive stamps, all! I especially like the GPO issues.

Don

Molokai likes this.
  3. FitzjamesHorse

The GPO is actually one stamp. I show two copies.
    The Chester Beatty set is four stamps plus a miniature sheet.
    There are eight new stamps in the definitive series. These are Stamps On A Roll (SOAR) and can be printed in the required denomination in post offices. The ones shown are in National Rate (one euro) as issued by the Philatelic Bureau at the GPO).
    There is also two booklets (10xN national rate and 10xW world rate) and for the convenience of collectors, these are sold in pairs at the Philatelic counter.
    Two "coil" stamps at National rate were also due to be issued but were still not available at least six days after the release date (my last visit to Dublin).

The definite SOAR stamps are based on "100 Objects in the History of Ireland" and this second phase shows objects from the early Christian period (the Book of Kells is featured) and are more interesting than the stamps issued last year whch were from the BCE period.

Makanudo, DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  4. DonSellos

Do I understand correctly? Can one go into the post office and order a roll of this issue printed in say .10 and another roll at .75, etc and walk out of the PO with them in hand?

I wonder if or how this process might affect future values of this series in the stamp market?

Interesting! I recall the U.S. post office did something similar back in the 1990s with a dispenser in the PO lobby which would print any denomination on a coil stamp. A patron could buy one or a hundred. Somewhere I have some of those. I'll have to see if I can find them.

On a related note, I notice that the GPO was built in 1818. That's a pretty impressive building for the pre-postage stamp era.

Don

5. FitzjamesHorse

The GPO was destroyed during the Easter Rising in 1916. It was the HQ of the Provisional Government.
    Yes the cheapest way to obtain the SOAR is to go into any post office and ask for ten 1cent stamps.
    On rare occasions, the clerk will look a bit puzzled. But easy to get.
    Each post office is computerised and in smaller post offices, there is one window/machine ...and in bigger post offices there might be six or seven or more.
    When printed, each stamp has a unique 14 digit number and the value.
    There is also a "date" eg 12102 is the 102nd day of 2012 and 17295 is the 295th day of 2017.
    There is also a number to indicate the position on the SOAR which I think is 600 stamps...so typically stamp #1 #9 and #17 are the same design in an 8 stamp set.

The first four digits identifies the post office (I have a list of 1,424 which were active post offices in 2008). At the moment there are reckoned to be about 1,000 post offices in Republic of Ireland.
    As I am now retired with free travel thru-out Republic of Ireland and "Northern Ireland), I am trying to visit and photograph all post offices. I have so far pics of about 110....long way to go.

6. FitzjamesHorse

Possibly these scans will help.
    Of the 1,425 post offices on 2008 list, I have stamps issued in 674 post offices. Sometimes I have just one stamp from a post office. On other occasions I have several...maybe over 30 from the GPO in Dublin.
    One of these scans is Kilbarrack (four digit code 2141) a small post office in a north Dublin shopping mall. The first stamp (from the 100 Objects) was posted by myself on the 257th day of 2017. The other one from the Irish Wildlife series was posted in 2015. I picked it up in a mixture.
    Both stamps are at national rate (1.00 in later half of 2017 and 0.70 at 2015)
    There were eight wildlife SOAR stamps issued in each year from about 2011 to 2015...so maybe 40 different stamps.
    It is some years since I have been in Trim, County Meath so as yet no pic of the post office.
    But I have picked eight stamps up in mixtures.
    As you will see these include an Objects stamp from 2017, four from Easter Rising set (three issued in 2016 and one in 2017), two Wildlife stamps (2011 and 2016) and one Christmas stamp from 2015.
    The 2016, 2017 and 2018 stamps were issued in late January so there is an overlap. Some post offices use up old stock and others return unused stamps.
    The Christmas SOAR stamps are in two designs.
    During 2016, the national rate went up from 0.70 to 0.72 and during 2017 went up from 0.72 to 1.00. As you will see some of the stamps are issued for just 2cents.
    As a general rule, when I go to a new post office, I buy a stamp for 50cents. and later in day or week buy another 50cents stamp at another post office ...put them on same envelope and post them to myself....a good way of getting TWO used stamps.
    The fun aspect of sorting thru a mixture is getting a stamp from a new post office...and seeing different values....different designs and even the colour of the envelopes so from my point of view, it makes a nice display...especially as more post offices will close.

Attached Files:

DonSellos likes this.
  7. DonSellos

Wow! What a project. Sounds like the collecting options for these stamps are almost unlimited. I can understand how much fun it would be to go through mixtures looking for specific and/or new post offices or different post offices on the same stamp. I hope you will post some more examples as your work progresses.

Don

8. FitzjamesHorse

I feel it is like "conservation" and to me that is a very important aspect of all forms of collecting.
    As Irish mail is now sorted in just a few large centres, it is not often we see postmarks of smaller towns and villages. And I think collecting those 4digit numbers is good alternative.
    There is of course the law of diminishing returns. With 2,000 of these stamps and now 675 4digit numbers, its harder to pick up a new one. I don't expect completion but in part this is off-set by the variety.
    Nor do I expect to visit every post office half way up a mountain in County Kerry or on every off-shore island but its fun.

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted