Inherited Stamps from Family, where do I start?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth?' started by Jake Jordan, May 13, 2017.

1. Jake Jordan

Jake Jordan New Member

My dad just passed on some stamps, but I don't have the first clue about value. Where should I start to see what I ended up with?

Thanks!

2. H. G. Golightly

H. G. Golightly Active Member

Hi Jake,
    Welcome to the group.
    RE: Your inherited collection.
    First, It would be nice if you could contact a local stamp club, if one exists. I've found that most members will bend over backwards to help people in your position.
    Also, If you live near a stamp dealer and can get positive opinions of others who have dealt w/ him/her. I would let them take a look at your collection and get an opinion. (Remember that dealers may not offer/quote catalogue value as they are in business and must make profit.)
    Lastly, is to hit your public library if they keep the Scott Stamp catalogues available.

Good Luck,
    Harry

3. HopeMe

HopeMe Learn and grow

Hey Jake,

reading your post I assume that you are interested in selling them and not keeping them?

Sadly, a lot of stamps aren't worth too much money unless you have some special or rare ones. I'd agree with the Golightly's suggestion. Try to find a stamp dealer that knows his business. He will evaluate your stamps so you will have some sort of approximate value of them.

Also what state are the stamps in? if mint, their value will go up. Any sort of damage to the stamp will lower it.

4. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Lots of questions to be answered.

US, topical, or worldwide collection? Mint or used? Old or recent issue? Mounted (how) in album(s) or loose (in envelopes or boxes). Heavy duplication or one of a kind?

I happen to have several thousand dollars in face value tied up in just US postage (sheets & booklets). Dealers at stamp shows often sell such material at a discount to face value (maybe 85%), so to make money, they might offer to buy at 50-60% of face value. I'd be better off financially using my mint (recent) stamps for postage, but at the rate I mail letters nowadays, I've got a multi-lifetime supply of postage for myself and my kids!

Used stamps, foreign or domestic go for maybe $0.03-0.05 per stamp if you can find a buyer. Several years ago, when I was buying 'rarer' stamps thru auction, I'd be successful many times offering 25-30% of listed catalog value.

I'd say you enjoy your dad's collection as something he took an interest in, and maybe pass it off to one of his grandchildren at some appropriate time in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted