I was digging bottles today and found these stamps.

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by daniel.camacho.144, Jul 4, 2015.

1. daniel.camacho.144

daniel.camacho.144 New Member

2. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

I'm surprised that they have survived being out in the elements. Haven't seen an Anchorage, Alaska pre-cancel before either.

3. daniel.camacho.144

Alaska is so dry things get so preserved up here.

4. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Nice find. Good thing those stamps are still okay. :D

5. daniel.camacho.144

6. victor

victor New Member

7. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

8. tasha

tasha Active Member

Wow that's a good find and in such good condition being out in the open. You are lucky to have found those and hopefully they will survive even longer.

9. daniel.camacho.144

Thanks Tasha and everyone. We are fortunate to that the ground is so dry nothing rots away very fast up here.
    I've been fortunate enough to have dug a paper from 1916 also. But finding the stamps was truly unexpected and exciting.

10. zararina

There could be more stamps or treasures in there that are just waiting to be discovered. :)

11. daniel.camacho.144

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436542659.576405.jpg
    The treasures I was after..
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436542695.194310.jpg
    I was actually after flat top can's and bottles. But when those stamps showed up I was super excited. I did scratch around slowly to see if there where any other stamps.

SATX Collector and zararina like this.
  12. zararina

Nice, I do like old stuffs. :)

13. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Interesting comment... never knew Alaska was dry. For some reason I picture ice, permafrost, tundra: all of which is wet when temps are favorable. Thanks for the info!

14. SATX Collector

Great license plate and I can just see the Lumberjack Syrup in my pantry! :happy:

15. daniel.camacho.144

Central Alaska where I live is considered a desert because it's so dry. And with the tundra and moss cover moisture goes right through it and nothing rots away. Now if you found it in the rocks or swamp on top of the permafrost then iron eye is rotten like no tomorrow.
    And on a side note ppl down there don't realize Alaska actually has sand dunes. Check that out on Google.

16. SATX Collector

As a physics and math major, I study Earth science as an application of what I know. This is intriguing for me and you can bet that I WILL study it... I have heard that the Pacific Northwest in the US has similar circumstances and I am more than happy to spend a few hours finding out about all of it.

17. daniel.camacho.144

It's good to see I learned someone something today. :)

SATX Collector likes this.
  18. SATX Collector

And as a side note: I have a friend that collects beer cans and bottles of all types and has similar collections as you have shown. Another proof that folks that collect, COLLECT!!

19. daniel.camacho.144

Alaska is so earth friendly to the can's up here that I started getting into digging and collecting them here( meaning what I dig)
    I just got home from an over night trip digging and found some sweet finds. And I'll be posting them tomorrow sometime on the Rusty Bunch forums. And on my Arctic Diggers Facebook page if you want to see what I've been digging.

20. SATX Collector

Post the links so we can see...

Draft saved Draft deleted