I need your eyes please? (I can't find the grill)

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Jay, May 21, 2012.

1. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Oh thank you, Those were the design.
    They were like the ones you show, what happened any ideas.
    It was strange and the South Africa had a real gummy backing, like warm cheese, stringy?
    And they are still tacky in some spots.
    I feel good and scared still on trying any more of my stamps on paper.
    They all looked the same, with very different results. Is this common?

2. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

What kind of problems has anyone else has had and how did one over comed them.
    I only have been in it for a short while and still have a lot to learn.
    Water marks, Grills, and now sticky stamps. Kacyds where is my beer?

3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

No it is not common actually. A tip for a cure to your string cheese debacle would be to apply a little talc on the back to make it non-tacky and mountable. Was it self adhesive by chance Tom D? To actually remove the SAG (self adhesive gum) completely use lighter fluid like Ronsonol or Zippo fluid. submerse stamp in fluid for a few seconds and use either a credit card type straight edge or a metal straight edge to very gently scrape off the gum. Be warned that some of the newer stuff's inks are petrol sensitive and will be damaged so try it first on a similar or duplicate stamp first to see the results. Message me your address and I'll send you some stuff since I sort of "goated" you into it I feel very bad about your loss but it does happen. -Jeff

4. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Thats ok Jay I know you ment no harm. I have heard of lighter fluid being used before, but I thought it would damage the ink. Let alone me putting the house on fire:confused:

5. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

The string cheese stamp from South Africa were, well I do not know now if they were self adhesive gum.:confused: BUT they were from what looked line the same series, less the fish. THe first set were what was damaged and the second were fine. would water and rubbing alcohol work also since I do not smoke and have no lighter fluid.

View attachment 2671 View attachment 2672

6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

It's like a dollar or two a container for the lighter fluid and many stamp collectors use it religiously for that also mineral spirits work great as well as Coleman liquid fuel. Alcohol might work but I'm unsure as I have never used it.

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Question? What exactly am I looking for Tom? Is it the rips and tears? If that happened in the water then they was either applied to the cover like that from the start or they was handled to roughly whilst wet. You did use tongs right? The main issue one runs into while soaking is, of course fading and the colors bleeding on the water soluble inks (thankfully there isn't many of them to worry about!) Other than that they appear fine. Usually, in the vessel you had your stamps soaking in, there will be all manner of anomalous paper particulates and hinge remnants and anything you can imagine that would adhere to a postage stamp. Once I had a stamp that I hadn't known I had previously just simply because it was stuck perfectly to the back of another stamp with the same perf count! LOL! I was amazed!

8. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Those were what happes due to the glue sticking on anything it could stick to. And also because I did not know it was there they stuck to the towel I put them on to dry. I will try the lighter fluid next time. It should dissolve the glue.

9. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Back to where we started. I was able to soak the hinge off my stamp like yours and I still could find no grills

10. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Well chances are that both of ours have had or has a grill and if they don't then it's a 125 pure and simple right? Wrong. It would take a P.S.E. (Professional Stamp Expert) Certification to prove it and I'm just too cheap to have it done. I guess my collections' heirs will have to figure it out. I marked it as such (Possible #125 needs certified) on the glassine. lol

11. Tom

Tom New Member

12. Tom

Tom New Member

I Don't think their is a grill.

13. Tom

Tom New Member

Becareful what you use. Some colors will wash away, I stickly use water marking fluid which you buy at your local stamp store. Check your Scott Specialized Catolog on grills and it will explain it to you.

Tom

Draft saved Draft deleted