I need your eyes please? (I can't find the grill)

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Jay, May 21, 2012.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I been looking through some #114's lately and seem to have found one that I just can't see a grill on, or any evidence of one so- I need your highly trained eyes to help look for it. Tell me what you think please? I may send it out for I.D. and if it comes back as a #125 then I'll entertain getting a PSE cert but that's all highly doubtful as I been down this road already...lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Try your early morning sunrise trick again..........good luck.

3. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Ok I am new to Grills. What is "early morning sunrise trick"?

4. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Nope can not see one :(

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I did and still nothing!

well the sun comes up over the mountains and is straight out from me so it's shining directly across my stamp desk so any little indented details (like a grill) show up like you wouldn't believe! It's like holding a bright light at an oblique angle to see the ridges of a coin.

6. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

OK

The one I have, I scanned at 1,200 DPI with color, black and white, with a white back ground and a black back ground and seen nothing and seen what my mind wanted to see, basically nothing.

7. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

And I thought water marks were fun. boy o boy

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

they are supposed to have a grill. There are 114's with no grill and the reprints #125 but I think to have a PSE cert done it needs to have the original gum. Not sure on that?

Tom I'm not sure I know what you mean?

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

This is the other one I found the grill on using the sunrise trick:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Cataloging my Australian stamps with KJV, a stamp was either one or the other depending on perf, or watermarks. perfs were easy but water marks for me were tougher. Now grills on used US stamps sounds even tougher

11. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Either I do not know what I am looking for or I just need new glasses. I can't see any grills

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

grills are usually not real hard to spot but some was pressed out in order to defraud dealers and other collectors of long ago but now there are techniques to detect such things and I honestly cannot find the grill on this US SC#114 which makes me want to get it ID'd to be certain. It could be a possible #125 maybe? Admittedly a loooong shot but a shot none-the-less eh?

13. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

This is a grill (on my #88)
    [​IMG]

14. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Wish you luck.

15. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

I see that one, if they were all that easy it would be great but no luck right.

16. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

OK once in a blue moon you find one of the pictorial issues more valuable later reprints and they didn't have a grill. They are much more valuable and that's what I'm searching for...

17. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

18. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Mine is most likely the common Scott 114. It is still a great stamp to me now being the earliest stamp in my US collection.

19. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

hmmmm......Don't see one that either. I would suggest giving it a quick soak in a little hot water from the tap to get that hinge off the back and let it dry in a napkin in a book for a few hours to dry flat then have a look for that grill. That's the easiest way to find them on those issues.

20. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

I have not soaked a stamp yet and a little afraid of it. :eek: but soaking it in hot tap water for what 15 mins them just putting it between a napkin in a book is all I have to do?

Draft saved Draft deleted