I lucked into a rare proof this morning! 164P4

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Jay, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Hey Kris check this out! I got it relatively cheap and that's a good thing because I had some bad news and unexpected bills I have to pay...Broke again but I got this!

[​IMG]

Philactica likes this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Oh I should mention that I bought it from Bill Lang so, his credibility is pretty reliable!

3. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

4. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

ohhh no another one i need, but a stunning stamp Jeff well done.
    make sure you save enough for trip to UK though :)

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Well, that trip may have to wait until I get a few things straightened out. It's a long boring story for another time-

Thank you for the compliments however! I really needed a cheering up today.

6. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Looks awesome Jay!!!! Now I can see what the stamp is suppose to look like, since most used stamps are so faded, that you cant see the design. Never knew that there were a canon and rifles on the stamp. Thanks for sharing.

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

look at the value for it in Scott's once...hee-hee You probably know though, proofs are valued considerably less than their stam conterparts; like 10-20% of catalog. I just find the detail on proofs is always much more defined and vividly colored and hey, Who dosen't love those mutton chops!
    It's my belief that a one Mr. Ambrose Burnside is responsible for popularizing the sideburns and "mutton chops" in the 1800's like old Mr. Webster is sporting up there on that proof!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrose_Burnside

8. windmill

windmill Active Member

The color is really defined! Such a beauty!!!

9. Steve Robinson

Ah yes General Burnside :) at least his name has given us something more wholsome to remember him by than the rather less fortunate General (Fighting Joe) Hooker LOL

10. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Jay where is it? I can only find Scott 164 not Scott 164P4.
    Any way that is a great looking stamp. I tip my hat to you on that one.

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

That's it. Also proofs are listed in the specialized catalogs I believe.

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Well, I must admit that although I'm still pleased to own this rarity but I'm very disappointed in William Langs eBay practices a bit. I received this proof today and realized right away that the color is different from the one listed. It is a shade of purple but almost a grey-violet from the early classic period. Almost reminds me of a color trial proof. I'm keeping it but I have decided to not launch any "dispute" on eBay. It's still one of only a handful known so I'm satisfied just feel deceived a little. Below is the actual scan I just done to show you what I mean.
    [​IMG]

13. Steve Robinson

That is very different to the one that you originally posted, did he say anything about not getting the one he showed on his ebay listing? I have to say that I would be very peeved about it

14. David Logan

David Logan Member

A very nice look proof

I would have kicked up a stink myself. False advertising

15. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Just to *update* I contacted William and spoke with him in person (via telephone). I told him of my dismay and he asked me to send it back and he would replace it as "one was just picked of the top" but he said he would also look at any stamp out of my collection and look over it for me and value it free of charge on top of the replacement. I am very happy and would certainly do business with them again. I sent in that 100P4 to see if it actually is a #100P3 or just a standard #71. Probably the latter but need to be certain.

So I'm getting hopefully a better copy and a free appraisal. sweet!

kacyds likes this.
  16. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Good news Jay

17. Steve Robinson

Agreed very good news :)

18. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

It certainly is! I'll be excited to receive his return mailer!

19. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Squeeky wheel gets the grease.......lol

Jay likes this.
  20. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

indeed good Sir; indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted