I just purchased this last evening!

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Jay, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

It's my new #71P4 It's not in hand yet but I'll scan it proper when it arrives. It'll go nicely with my other proofs! I'm also keeping tabs on a #117P also but it depends on the price weather I'll spring for it or not. Anyways- Enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I got these too. They are Scott #400 - #403 now all I need is a used #404 and I'm done with that set!
    Obverse:
    [​IMG]

Reverse:
    [​IMG]

3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Nice collection/buy Jay.
    Hope you complete that set sooner. ;)

4. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Very nice Jay
    i am just waiting for a few i bought from Catawiki shop, see what they are like and i will post, as the prices were very competitive

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I just sprang for a few more too.. I know I just bought a 71proof but I needed the #63p and the price was right.
    [​IMG]

Also I bought this 149p
    [​IMG]

Philactica likes this.
  6. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

very nice indeed
    i really do need to make an effort on my presidents, i have them all in a box, and keep putting off sorting them out lol

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Well if your like me it could take awhile! I always get sidetracked somehow. lol

8. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

yes Catawiki is taking me some time, but i do believe it will make things faster for me when sorting through, as i will be able to see all the stamps i have on the screen rather than seaching through album pages.
    nearly finished loading up Hungary from my album, and i have a box full to sort, the proof will be in the pudding as they say lol

750 on here at the moment, the last 150+n i have had to load on the system as they were not there but still worth a look

Steve

http://www.catawiki.com/verzameling...51ab84d1c1/g/na/s/1/0/SO_47/a?user=Daimon1963

9. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I scan my new arrivals as soon as I get them in high resolution so I can "fly speck" it and also end up with an image I can use as reference. I don't think I would have the patients to do a web page though. Congrats on yours!

10. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

as i buy most of mine in bulk lots, i could never scan them all, so it is good to have a reference base i can work with, i have been using Stanley Gibbons My Collection database for years, but it is so out of date now, i have ended up with lots of stamps i could not track on there.
    at least with this one if it is not on there you can upload it yourself, that is about the best part i have found on it so far :)

11. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Well Jay i am quite impressed with myself, it has taken me nearly 3 days to load all my hungary collection on to Catawiki, it was hard work and painstakingly finiky at some points, but once done it has made sorting a lot easier.

i opened a pack of 100 Hungary stamps, puiled out all the duplicates and catalogued what was left in 15 mins, that is a record lol

it was worth all the hard work i think ;-)

Jay likes this.
  12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

It was! That must be some kind of philatelic record in cataloging! :D

13. swish513

swish513 Active Member

very nice additions!

14. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Hey Jay, where are you picking up those from???? They are awesome.

15. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Declampe and some on eBay when the price is right.

kacyds likes this.
  16. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

They really are quite lovely Jay :)

17. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Thank you very much! I'm excited to receive them in the mail. I'll scan them proper when they arrive.

18. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

This is also how I keep record of what I bought and also what currently have.
    [​IMG]

Tom D, ratio411 and zararina like this.
  19. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I had to do a very careful restoration on that #63P4. It had some very serious issues. It was absolutely FILTHY and the lower left corner was fraying. I did not us any chemicals only fresh clean water. (Reverse Osmosis Deionized H2O) I gave it a dip and swished it around a little and then blotted it dry with a clean paper towel and pressed it in a watercolor blotter tablet under a heavy book all night. I then took a scalpel and a straight-edge and carefully trimmed the bottom to -
    a.) keep it from fraying any further so it will be around a bit longer
    b.) so it displays better. It done no harm in doing so as it was originally trimmed from a sheet of 100 specimens to begin with and usually much closer than that.
    It was an effort to restore these gorgeous plate proofs for many decades of philatelic enjoyment and study. I gave my duplicate #71 a quick dip too but no further restorations. Take a look below to see the end results. I'm very happy with how they turned out!
    I am acutely aware of how people feel about any alterations and I am amongst them but this seriously needed help and there is no intent to defraud because nothing I done adds to it's value so it all worked out in the end.
    I must add that if you do in fact have to do anything to your stamps it should be documented and handed down to the next in the chain of ownership. Thank you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Philactica likes this.
  20. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The #71P4 is NOT the same 71 as in the vario sheet pictured at the top of this page (that one is a P3) That one directly above is a P4. Now you know..lol

Draft saved Draft deleted