Hunt and seek

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Larry L. Taylor, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

My world-wide stamp collecting has taken a turn . . . for the worse !

I used to collect to fill spaces and complete (fill) pages in my albums. But now there are too many countries issuing too many stamps, and nobody is using them for actual postage. In the last couple of years, the opportunity to buy kiloware stamps (on paper) in packages has virtually disappeared.

So now I seem to be resigned to 'recycling' my want lists to find the single stamp(s) needed to complete some of the older sets (pre-1960). I may end up using 6 different dealers to obtain 20 different stamps. Used to be able to fill about 60-80% of my want lists off of www.stamps2go.com, but now less than half of my searched-for-stamps end up being available, even for common issues.

But then I guess the search is supposed to be at least half the fun? At least it's keeping me away from the multi-hundred $ stamps I'd like to have to complete some of my US album pages.

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

I agree, it is, indeed, tiresome to go from dealer to dealer with want lists and only find a few at each.

If you live in the U.S. the American Philatelic Society sales books for specific countries provide some good hunting. I'm a used WW collector and I have found a lot of stamps in those books. Some state or local philatelic societies also circulate sales books and they are a steady source of stamps.

I try not to go beyond 1960 in my collecting interests and that helps as well.

Don

Philactica likes this.
  3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

One of the things I've been trying to do here at Stamp Exchange is invite more people from around the world who are interested in exchanging stamps directly. It seems to be working a bit, I've seen quite a few new members from all over joining. There is of course a language barrier in a lot of cases, but overall I hope it starts to make a difference in being able to find affordable stamps from other countries.

4. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

The language barrier !!

Indeed, always give clear and short statements.
    Elaborate sentences loose important meaning when translated and for heavens sake keep to English.
    Most who do want to exchange do so in English, other languages are problematic and may be ignored.

5. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Peter: Your goal is a good one. I'm not much of a trader, but many others are and that is a good way to have access to a lot of stamps. I have been tempted many times to join the International Society of Worldwide Stamp Collectors (see link here http://iswsc.org/ ), but have not yet done so. It looks like it offers several avenues to acquire stamps.

Don

6. Larry L. Taylor

I think I'm beyond what the APS circuit books can offer me. At the end of my APS membership (didn't renew), the circuits provided what I considered 'endless repetition' with few moments of elation. There were times when I bore the cost of mailing the circuits, having not bought anything. And yes, the stamp club (now defunct) I was in used to get some circuits, but other people had a say in what circuits were to be sent, and I didn't have interest in most of those circuits.

7. Larry L. Taylor

'Working a bit' is the right qualification. One must enter into those potential exchanges with a bit of trepidation. Ceylon stamps sent to Germany - no response back. Topical selection sent to India - no response yet. Two separate shipments to Brazil (one registered and very expensive to ship) - that's a black hole (so far). Working on an exchange in Paraguay - needs time to develop because of transit times for letters.

To me, it appears there are some significant issues with delivery reliability to 3rd world countries. Can't fault the collector on the receiving end, but won't continue to ship endlessly without some kind of return. After all, it is supposed to be an exchange?

8. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Not add fat to the fire but South America and my experience and some other collectors found Brazil a 'black hole'.

One can just wonder if the items pirated are just dicarded in the hope of finding something more valuable or does actually land in a collectors hands at some stage.

Rule of thumb I use is, if it is to a Country of reputable postal service normail would do.
    If to anywhere else register when substantial, if not just pass - there are still honest people out there:greyalien:.

9. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Main reason that stop me from trading stamps is the issue of missing stamps. There are several mails that have not reached me for whatever reason. Also it will be costly if it will be a special mail and I do not have much to exchange either.

I hope more here will be able to have "fun" in exchanging and makes it as a habit.

10. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Tell us in which Country you are that probably has a poor postal service for not getting all mail

11. derailed

derailed Active Member

You could also try posting in these forums and see what you can find. From what I see it's very helpful. I know it's hard and seeking certain stamps may take forever, but you must be patient and positive. Your desired stamps might come out when you don't even expect.

12. zararina

Most probably you are right. :p
    Philippines.

13. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Very sad though:(

14. zararina

Yes, that is a sad fact. Both for ordinary or special mail. I also did not receive a postcard before once.

15. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

One solution is to have a Post Office Box to which all mail is sent.
    The cost of such a PO Box can be free to a hefty some per year.

I have had a PO Box all my working life and never regreted the cost for 50 years.

All part of a solution for getting mail.

16. zararina

Great. I will consider this in the future. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted