How would you appraise this EBay offer?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by James-2489, Dec 7, 2015.

1. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello all, this EBay offer is somewhat similar to a collection that I put together for a collector friend in Bangkok (previously posted), but there is one noticeable difference. What are your opinions please?

upload_2015-12-7_12-8-19.png

After your assessments I will offer my opinion.
    Regards, James

2. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Just a few notes at first glance:
    • multiple times a particular denomination has different colors... so either multi-series or something else... not familiar with all of the British issues so that is a total SWAG.
    • One thing else I noted: the "cancellations" were partials of what appear to be First Day of Issue Cancels and all from the same PO at the same time. The set appears to have been lined up as Mint and cancelled as 4-square or even just a small amount. The likelihood of all those stamps being together as a set for a First Day of issue is highly suspect, in my opinion.
    • And WHY would anyone take them off of 1st Day Issue covers anyway?

James-2489 likes this.
  3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Maybe because they are not aware of collecting covers and will just simply remove a stamp on any cover. Just like me before. :p

4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

My first impression is that all the high value stamps are missing. Certainly I concur with SATX Collector about the position of many of the cancels appearing more like CTO's than postally used examples.

5. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

I also noticed the cancelling. If cancelled, the cancel is in a corner. Looks to be a nice well centered set as well. A lot of them have something going on with the perfs as well (see the 38P, 41P & 43P for example). May just be the photo though.

6. AtanasVelikov

AtanasVelikov Member

As a newbie to this I'm confused with all your wonderful opinions but I'd like to have this in my collection :) I'm missing quite a few of these. Whats the going price for a sheet like this?

7. James-2489

Hello all, well done. I think there are only six genuine postally used stamps in this series, 2p dark-green, 5p pale-brown, 6p green, 24p Lilac, 43p and 50p. All the others are cancelled with an Edinburgh or Newcastle-Upon-Tyne stamp. Well spotted SATX, The few very close to the edge are very sharp and therefore unlikely to be genuine. The stamps that Gunny mentioned are called syncopated perforations, we know them as elliptical perfs, they are designed to make it easier to separate the stamps and are on all? our modern stamps (not peel and stick).
    I would guess that he is either an ex postal worker or he collects now obsolete cancellors?. First day of issue can only be used for that day then the next design is changed, I have many First day cancels. First day cancels tend to be at the bottom of the stamp, as below. Please notice that the stamp value order from right to left. Not left to right as on the previous image.
    upload_2015-12-8_19-19-22.png

Regards, James
    PS It is quite rare to find modern GB stamps that are printed off center.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  8. James-2489

Hello all, regarding GB error stamps, Most tend to be missing colours or phosphor band errors, occasional reversed images and "broken" images, odd missperfs.
    The 1929 PUC London stamp below is quite unusual, look at the date
    1029 or 1829? Probably a scratch on the Die, I would imagine?
    [​IMG]

Regards, James.

9. James-2489

Hello SATX, what does SWAG stand for please?
    My guess is it would be some sort of wild guess?

We used to put SWALK on our letters to girlfriends - Sealed With A Loving Kiss

BTW you are correct about different mixed issues.
    Regards, James

SATX Collector likes this.
  10. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

It's closer to 1929. Nice stamp by the way, hope it is yours.

11. SATX Collector

Scientific Wild-Ass Guess. Wikipedia calls it "slang for a rough estimate based on expert experience"...

zararina and James-2489 like this.
  12. SATX Collector

We used to put a SWALK on our girlfriends (yes... PLURAL!! Living on the edge!) and said the hell with the letters...

James-2489 likes this.
  13. James-2489

Hello Gunny, unfortunately not, found during a search in EBay offered at £135 - $203.47 so must be pretty rare!
    James.

SATX Collector likes this.
  14. SATX Collector

Unfortunately we all get to that point... most of my 'needs' in the US now are approaching 4 figures.

My eventual goal is to sell ALL my holdings to someone that will appreciate the start of a GREAT world-wide collection and then make a bid on the 1c Z-grille that recently traded for a cool couple of $million... always said "DREAM BIG!!!"

15. James-2489

Hello Atanas, let me know which ones you are missing and I will look in my O&E box.
    If it is easier let me know which stamps you have and I will try to fill the gaps.
    Ideally send a scan.

Regards, James.

16. SATX Collector

My turn to ask... O&E to me means Obsolete and Excess Inventory... manufacturing environment.

I am thinking "Overstock and/or Excess" as your definition??

17. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

What a great exercise James!!! I'll confess I cheated by scrolling to the answer, but still informative...and obvious once you know :joyful:

How about another quiz? This would be a great series and service to us less knowledgeable....:bag:

18. James-2489

Hello SATX, it simply means Odds & Ends, items that never made it into an album. Maybe half a dozen stamps of some obscure country that is not worth printing a page for, or a surplus to requirements. I found yesterday about 500-600 KG V low denomination definitives of 1934-6. ½d to 5d values. I'll have to sort through them for watermarks then maybe offer some sets as prizes etc. See sample below. sorry about the scan quality.

upload_2015-12-9_21-39-37.png

Regards, James.

19. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

James sign me up NOW!!! prizes for a stamp quiz?

20. James-2489

Hello Jim, That little exercise is why buyers should look carefully at the scans, as I said before, avoid offers with out-of-focus or greatly angled images or piles of stamps where you see one or two "good" stamps on top and rubbish underneath. If you want a fairly large number of stamps at a reasonable price try kilo-ware, either off paper or close cropped on paper of the country that you are interested in. Alternately, get a penfriend in that country and get them to collect modern stamps for you, maybe from their office or friends, remember to pay their postage costs for bulk postage. Basically that is what I did as a youth. When my wife and I went to Malaysia last year I contacted an old penfriend and arranged a meeting with her and her husband, we all had a great day.

Draft saved Draft deleted