How long have you been stamping?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by domaintalk, Nov 6, 2012.

1. domaintalk

domaintalk Member

I got my first rubber stamps in 1989... they were a little set from All Night Media... the Teddy Bear Picnic. Foam mounted stamps, and my friend also gave me a couple of stamp pads, some glitter glue and some glossy book marks. It was her graduation (from college) present to me. (Yes, I still have them, for sentimental reasons!)

A year or so later, I went to my first DOTS party...and I was HOOKED. Bought a bunch, and made my own Christmas cards. However, I wasn't thrilled with the cute-sie type stamps... all sheep and bears and ragdolls.... but discovered a cool store in Houston (Iconography...now out of business), and began to expand my collection.

Around 1995, I got on the internet, and made some new stamping friends... some even local! We would travel every year to Dallas to attend the stamp convention there... and it has escalated from there.

Here I am, 18 years later. I have 1000's and 1000's of stamps, inks, powders and more. In 1997, I went back to college and began my Master's degree in Art History, which led me to a class in the "History of Arts and Crafts". I got to know much about different Art and Craft mediums (it was a hands-on class, and I got to do mixed media collage), and my Modern Art and Contemporary Arts classes exposed me to people such as Robert Rauschenberg and Joseph Cornell. And I was off and running into the world of paper arts, mixed media, and more.

How about you?

2. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Moderator Moderator

Off and on some 50 years LOL

3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

It started back in my high school years. It was just first a school project to submit some stamps. I am collecting ever since Off and On. :p

4. Edwin Carmensita

Edwin Carmensita New Member

Ah yes, I still remember my very first custom rubber stamp back in the 90s, good old days got 'em from a small stamp store in Australia. They've got an online store now called e-stamps australia. I also had a neat set of australian animals, the koala was my favorite esp. for making my art projects. Now, my niece still uses them pretty sturdy for an aged stamp. I guess it really depends on how you take care of things.

Draft saved Draft deleted