How do you see the future of philately ?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Philactica, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Face it, the facets of stamp collecting is changing rapidly.:eek:

Here and now we have a candid forum which some may want to visit in a decade or so and pick this same thread and behold - reflect.:(

A synopsis known to us is that email takes preference and older collectors are dying off with less younger entering.:rolleyes:

Present input or even at a later date may make afterthought hillarious or the proverbial - I told you so. Your children or those who inherited your stamps may have a good laugh for reasons of their own.:oops: :p

Nobody needs to be a soothsayer predicting doom and gloom but change is always embraced with caution.:cool:

How do YOU see philately in after twenty years or so ?
    The best part of this thread is - it will be history !:D

Support the poll.

Brandon Sheley likes this.
  2. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

To start I venture the following briefly.

Labels will replace stamps.

The main objective will be delivery of packaging but stampless - letters pacels with lots of inkjet labels. These could also be collected but alas more drab.

Some Countries would still do stamps because of the revenue it can collect.
    Problem would still be getting actual mail from such Countries is even today challenging.

It is said that the value of a stamp on cover is worth more then a single.

As of over 150 years ago the same applies today with the dwindling modern postally used issued.

Lets have more from YOU !

3. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

I think i have been on a thread similar on here before, the future of stamps mmmm

Well as my collection is not even 10th of what is available today from the past (with 60,000+ individual separate stamps) i do not see for myself or whoever takes on my collection after i die as being an issue, there will always be something to chase for the next 100 years.

I agree that labels are being used more than is actually required, but if we think about it, franking machines have been in offices for many years, and i believe when they first started showing up many collectors back then were thinking the same as we do now regarding the labels.

Stamps will always be produced, and mint is now becoming the old used stamp, and used are taking over as the stamps to own, be it single or on a cover, the less they are used the more the will appreciate in the future.
    stamp collections moving forward, i have seen on here a possible 5-6 members come on and state they have been passed their collection from their fathers, on a forum with possibly 40 active members so far, means for years to come stamps will still be handed down, and with the right enthusiasm will be carried on as always.

Steve

4. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

I agree, but the use of stamps will be ending as my life ends I feel. I know live for ever but in 20 to 30 years stamp usage will be history. NOW stamp collecting will be here for a longer time span. I also feel the lack of new stamps will turn this hobby to a new page with a new type of collector. But the feeling I get when I look at my US collection of I remember that stamp on a letter will be lost forever. But the hobby for me will have life as long as I have life.

steve logan likes this.
  5. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I had voted for never thought of stopping. :p
    I actually just collect whenever there is an opportunity to collect something as I collect anything. LOL
    I like and admire all stamps and no set in particular so no reason for stopping, right!

I think there are still stamps collectors after hundred more years. ;)

kacyds and steve logan like this.
  6. David Logan

David Logan Member

I agree with you steve, my plan is to get to Z, then i would like o think i could pass my collection onto my children. hen i have them.

I work for Royal mail and i have seen a huge decline in the use of stamps. It's all mainly what we call PPI (pre paid postage) and metered (Franking).
    Here's to stamp collecting and long may it last.

By the way i have just started to work my through D-H

7. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Yes indeed Stamp Collecting will be ongoing for more years than we could speculate which has been addressed in another thread.

Answers I am looking for is how do YOU see a stamp collector in say 2050 which some of the present members will see the day. ?

1. Due to time/money-restraint emails would replace all communications.
    2. Parcels sent would be communicatively suitably labled without stamps.
    3. Stamp Shows would likely get a higher profile due to clustered Stamp Club absorbtion into larger venues.
    Stamp Societies A B C D will conglomerate into a more centralised E venue etc.
    4. Would most basic catalogues be by the online.
    5. Housing of Stamps may change little except the price
    6. Where will the flood of common stamps be going to, that most dealers are already overstocked on ?

Would like to read some of YOUR opinions on the above.
    If some response comes to mind, write it here.

Answers are not for debate, the questions are.

8. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

I've gotten more deeply involved in stamp collecting over the last six months, but may have to limit the collecting based on: (1) availability of new issues supplements, and (2) availability of stamps.

Harris no longer issues supplements for their Classic US album (have to use their Statesmen supplements), and I don't want to have to eventually convert to Linder or Lighthouse or Scott or whatever. Can't get binders consistent with previous binders for Harris US plate block or Harris Canada or Harris Classic. And in anticipation of Minkus stopping their line, I stocked up on added Master Global binders (~10 new and used), but that goes by the wayside if they quit printing world-wide supplements.

Kinda chuckled at the last stamp show, when one of the dealers seemed fairly proud of the world-wide collection he had for sale that was contained in 9 Minkus MG albums. When I finish posting the last two year's worth of Minkus supplements in my world-wide albums, I'll have 26 binders on a five-shelf bookshelf that's 6 feet (183 cm) tall and 30 inches (76 cm) wide. And to think it started out as a two volume collection back in 1963. I don't know if either one of my kids wants that kind of 'decor' added to their house. And given the cost of yearly supplements, I'm not sure that the albums with all the supplements installed might not be worth more than the stamps contained therein (~77,000).

9. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Interesting good point on the future of Supplements of various Trade names which does affect the philately in the near future it seems.

In this respect, maybe the future is to make your own which could be discussed in a seperate thread..

Would the future Stamp Album look unique to the owner's own customization -

My Stamp Collection, in 'my' unique Album !?

10. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

I like that Idear, When I get to my collections of world wide ready to mount it will be my own design.
    And for my us I have from 1847 to 2010 so if need be I will do my own.
    Same for my Heritage collection which is 1893 to 1991

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Yup never stop until you drop! That what I always say!! oorah!

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I'm honestly not sure how stamp collecting will end up? I'm relatively positive that Philately will persist but actual stamp collecting will wane I'm afraid. I agree that things will most likely go the way of labels but then again stamps have such an impact on our culture that US Government anyway just may relent and keep up production if only for prestige issues and stuff and there will always be the 'privateers' that sell those almost non-catalog-able personal stamp/label thing-a-ma-jigs. I hope we don't go the way of the dinosaur but we do ques-Serra-serra I'll be long gone by then (I hope).​
    I would be inclined to agree with some above statements to a degree that saving recent covers that adorn the self adhesives may become fastly collectable if the Government does cease production. It's anyone's ballgame at this point I believe.​
    Then again, I have to think that there will most likely always be a market for stamps as people get collections handed down to them and will either be fascinated by it and wish to dabble in it and get hooked or others who think they hit the lottery (my personal favorite! -LOL) and seek to sell them on site such as eBay, Declampe and the like. I toggle in my thinking as there are a few possibilities which gives me hope that the hobby will persist.​
    -Jay​

13. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

I enjoy stamps as a part of our history. I don't bother with what's currently being released for the most part. When most of the current stamps that are interesting, are meant for collectors in the first place, it kind of removes the whole point of collecting them for me.

Jay likes this.
  14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I buy the ones that I think have DON'T have much eye appeal figuring that less of them will be sold hence have more of a shot at being an actual collectable possibly.

15. defiler11

defiler11 New Member

I think that it may die out before to long. Although, I know that I'll never stop collecting.

16. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

I remember when you could buy bulk foreign on paper in little orange bags for maybe 49 cents. No longer.
    I remember when Denison hinges were green and really were peelable.​
    No longer.
    I remember when USPS main offices used to have philatelic windows that catered to collectors. No longer.
    I remember when there were stores in the towns in which I've lived where you could buy albums and/or supplements. No longer.
    I remember when soaking stamps off paper with water was entertaining.​
    No longer (now it's a two-step process that should be done outdoors because of the chemicals involved).​
    I remember when people used to write letters, and put them in envelopes with real stamps. No longer.
    E-mail has replaced hand written letters, and texting is replacing e-mails. Bill paying is now automated.​
    In my opinion, postal history will be just that - history. And stamps will still be collected, just like antiques - for the pure novelty of holding something from the past.​

Philactica, kacyds and Jay like this.
  17. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

I don't like what you are saying Larry. But I can not disagree with you. I feel you are right though, sadly you are right.

kacyds likes this.
  18. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

I remember when you could make a quick detour from work to get your latest Issue of Plate blocks, part sheets and FDCs, poor woman behind the the counter was glad at the end of the day's service to the public - No longer.

Standing In the new issues queue meeting others having a chat and a laugh - No longer

Sending out the new issues to your oversees Stamp Partners and hoping to get others in return - almost No longer.

In the stamp shop driving the proprietor crazy getting him to pick by number 23 packet lots paying with my Birthday money - No Longer

Getting an up to date good chat about news all round philately at you local stamp shop when time permitted - No longer.

I No longer have to beg for a nice neat round date stamp - there is just none.

On a positive note -

No longer need you collect the ghastly wavey cancelled stamp because there will be better cancelled easily found (such after 1945).

I No longer need to wait long to know if my stamps arrived - email does the job.
    New commemorative issue currently fine cancelled No Longer demand mediocre prices and are sold out, bar the year packs which also are quickly depleted.

I will No longer bother with the new (since 2002) and quite contend with the challenge of past issues.

I enjoy looking for flaws and errors on stamps of the past, I am No longer enticed by the multitude of modern washouts.

With email, exchange partners can be clear what is sent or received. No Longer getting a load of crap for your best sets.

Change is as good as a holiday.

Tom D likes this.
  19. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

Good point. There are so many out there now to keep us bussy for years. No matter how bad a storm is there is always the sun popping through and you Philactica is that silver lining. Well put on the Positive, what will happen will happen. We go on.;)

20. swish513

swish513 Active Member

View attachment 1927
    mailed nov 2011. i guess only small towns still do it.

or is this not what you were referring to?

Tom D likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted