How do you keep your stamps in the condition they were in when you acquire them?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by queenbellevue, Mar 26, 2015.

1. queenbellevue

queenbellevue Member

Would it be safe to keep them in a binder somewhere?

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

3. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Same, unless it is one I have plenty of that are more than a stock row can handle.

I have many stamps of the same Scott # in regular plain envelopes solely for inventory purposes... some stamps I have over 50 pieces of. But I need to keep them separate by Scott # so I don't buy more!!:oops:

Hochstrasse likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Member

My country collections are all in Lighthouse hingeless albums. My topical collections, booklets and plate blocks are in Vario sheets in Vario 3 or 4 ring binders. Postal stationery is in Optima pages in Optima Classic binders.

SATX Collector and Hochstrasse like this.
  5. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I use albums and then store those on tight container to make sure it will remain dry and safe.

6. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Foreign - hinged in albums that are stored vertically in a basement almost void of any moisture (humidity in my house runs ~ 30%).

Mint US & Canada? Singles and plate blocks In Showgard mounts in albums stored vertically (same basement).

Mint sheets? Supersafe interleaved plastic sleeves in 3-ring binders.

SATX Collector likes this.
  7. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Do you add desiccant packets to the container before closure? As I have heard (rumor), the one constant in the Philippines is the humidity.

8. zararina

I do not use any desiccant packets on it. I just make sure it is on tight containers.

9. ram

ram Member

Is It OK to put the albums on a book shelf?

10. SATX Collector

That is how I do mine and I have seen many other collections stored that way also. I believe that is what Larry meant when he said 'vertical'.

11. zararina

I think it will be just okay as long as the stamps are secured and in a dry place.

12. ram

ram Member

What do you mean by secured in a dry place

13. zararina

I mean not in a place where there is moisture or wet. :)

14. wneva 2

wneva 2 Member

I've used stockbooks for years - but a few years ago I found there was damp in the wall behind the bookshelf. I lost a few stamps, and since then have been careful to keep the stockbooks in a bedroom. So far no more problems.

But I've just bought a ring binder and am transferring my collection of engravers from the stockbook - as I acquired more and more examples of some of the greats - Gandon and Decaris, as well as the Scandinavian's, I found it easier to have the facility to add pages without laboriously moving the rest of the collection.

I've now discovered that a post-it note leaves a little tacky patch when you remove it, if it's been there a while. I used to stick little pieces of post-it by each stamp, on the clear plastic strips, so I could mark the year when it was engraved. I'll now have to clean the tacky patches off with white spirit (and with much care!) when I've finally rehoused all the collection. I've still got the Americans, Belgians and Dutch to relocate.

btw, do you like my new avatar? I don't actually look like this - maybe if I can lose a couple of stone ...

SATX Collector likes this.
  15. SATX Collector

I use both: stockbooks and the 3-ring binder pages with strips. Your point about ease of relocating pages is well noted... I 'reassign' some stamps to different categories as I change topicals and it does make it easier to sort.

Draft saved Draft deleted