how do i tell if these stamps are valuable .

Discussion in 'What's it Worth?' started by kristazzzz, Jan 24, 2019.

1. kristazzzz

kristazzzz New Member

I am new to stamp collecting and i have some stamps and from what i see so far i believe these stamps are valuable but i dont know how to go about checking them . can someone please give me some input on what to do?

Attached Files:

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Hi kristazzzz:

The stamps you show are what are known as definitive stamps, that is they are from a series of stamps of different denominations used to pay the everyday postage rate of items such as post cards, letters, packages certified letters, etc. The one cent stamp you posted may have come off a post card or perhaps were used as added postage to pay a first-class letter rate The 3 cents and 4 cents stamps, most likely, were used to pay the first-class letter rate at different time periods.

All were printed in hundreds of millions of copies and sold by the post offices for years. The 3 cents stamp with the image of Thomas Jefferson was in use from 1938 to 1954 and its printing numbers may have reached one billion copies. Regrettably, none of stamps posted are valuable. However, that is not unusual. Most stamps collected are not especially valuable. I would guess that 95% of the stamps I have collected over the past fifty years are common stamps and readily available in the 5 cents to $5.00 range.

Most collectors, I believe, collect stamps simply for a stamp's attractiveness and the quest to find specific ones, and less so for their value.

If you have others to post, let us see them. While not likely, it is nevertheless possible that you might have a valuable one or two.

Don

Harry Golightly likes this.
  3. kristazzzz

kristazzzz New Member

Thank you for taking the time to get back to us . You have been very helpful . Do you know anything about war bonds I think they are called ? Again thank you so much

Attached Files:

4. DonSellos

Hi Kristazzzz:

In your second series of posts, the most valuable stamp, in my opinion, is the 8c Historic Preservation stamps, the second one down in the first column. It might sell for .05 to .25, if you could find a buyer. It is what is called a commemorative stamp from a set of four commemorating historic preservation issued in 1971. It was printed se-tenant, that is joined to its three companion stamps in a block of four. This is what an unused, unseparated block looks like:

aaa9.jpg
    The other stamps are all definitives, some the same as posted before and all of minimal value. The third image in the first column is of three 8c airmail definitive stamps. The first stamp on the left is damaged and completely valueless, the other two might be collectable, but again are so widely available they have minimal value.

To answer your question on how to determine stamp values, I would suggest you go to the nearest public library and find a copy of Scott United States Specialized Stamp Catalogue. It will list and picture all of the stamps issued by the U.S. postal service, plus those of the U.S. territories and the United Nations. It lists prices for mint (unused) and used stamps. However, the prices listed are guidelines only and one cannot expect to sell or buy stamps at the listed prices. It takes a great deal of philatelic knowledge and experience to accurately assess the price of stamps for collectors. Learning how to use a stamp catalog is a basic first step in the process.

Don

5. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Hello & Welcome New Collector,
    May I suggest you visit eBay and invest in an older & used U.S. stamp catalogue.
    (Based on the stamps you are asking about)
    You can purchase a pocket sized catalogue for 3$, or a more complete Scott U.S.
    Catalogue for $10. These are not the 'latest' editions, but should provide you an idea of any rarities you may have in your present collection.
    Good Luck,
    Harry

Molokai, notional and DonSellos like this.
  6. DonSellos

Good suggestion!

Don

7. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Thanks Don,
    Harry

8. kristazzzz

kristazzzz New Member

Thank you both of you for taking the time to get back to us . I'm not sure if we are going to do anything more with these stamps at this time . Thanks again don and Harry for your info .

Harry Golightly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted