How are you handling the high cost of shipping to people overseas?

Discussion in 'Trades' started by jim72051, Nov 19, 2014.

1. jim72051

jim72051 Active Member

I like to exchange items but the cost and the documentation effort to send items overseas has gone beyond the value of the covers I ship. I use EBay to dispose of extra items and use the proceeds to get more so it is like trading for me but I received too many complaints about items that were "lost" when I shipped overseas. I think there are some people in the postal delivery system that are too inquisitive when they see a package. I actually got one item that was suppose to be a bunch of car magazines opened somewhere along the route and replaced with a bag of flour. EBay has made there Global Shipping Program a preferred choice now so my listings are getting reviewed by overseas buyers where previously they were blocked because of my shipping location limits. It generates a lot of interest particularly if the cover originated overseas and was sent to the US 100 years ago. Some are willing to pay the high shipping cost because they want the items but other appropriately complain the shipping cost is higher than the item cost. Most of my cover lots I want to trade weigh about half a pound and are worth about $20. One of my favorite listings is 100 non US covers for $20. I know I would pay that for 100 US covers mailed to overseas locations year ago. In the US shipping for that lot is about $5, to Europe about $12 and using the EBay Global shipping about $20.

Peter T Davis likes this.
  2. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

If I was selling, I'd probably just do US only. For trades, the ones I've done are mostly low value items and I can just put them between a couple pieces of cardboard in an envelope and use regular air mail postage rates for them. I've not done enough international trading to have fallen victim to the "lost" package though, most of what I want to collect is pre-1940 USA.

3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I have sent some postcards for fellow collectors abroad and that was it. :D
    It is costly to ship something overseas and I have not done that not unless it will be very important. I also worry if those will really reach the person since there are several times that I have not received some mails.

4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I personally don't send much of anything abroad. I have noticed that a lot of sellers on Ebay do not ship outside the U.S. anymore. I think Peter expressed the sentiments of a lot of Ebayers when he mentioned that. I don't know how a seller would deal with the problem of theft in the mail systems of many countries across the globe.

5. Joseph M

Joseph M New Member

I am interested in exchanging old postal stationary of any country with the following that I collect and can be send by post. I can exchange stamps (India), postal stationary (India), fiscals (stamp paper and state revenew stamps of India). Postage may be expensive but if the value of the items are high enough and mutually agreeable, then it is worth it. The material for exchange can be send as email attachments between us till the items for exchange are confirmed. My email is josephm.inida@gmail.com

6. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

7. jim72051

jim72051 Active Member

I had a bunch of India stationary posted on EBay this past month. Most were under $5 and only one sold (shipping $2, lets hope it gets there!). Even with only a couple sales, I find "trades" using PayPal to be more efficient. You get what you want from me then I use the PayPal credits to get what I want from someone else.

8. zararina

Welcome to the forum Joseph. :)
    It will be great if you can also post your stamps for exchange to get more interest on it.

9. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Too frustrating to exchange on a foreign basis. Lost stamps to Brazil and it took a registered letter nearly 2 months to make it there with a postal cost of $20US to ship 450 stamps worth $5? Intermittent exchange with a German in Uruguay - look like I lost one going and am still awaiting a return. One to India evidently got there, but nothing returned. Had several good exchanges going with a collector in Spain and all went thru. Have had an ongoing exchange with a collector(?) in Rome, Italy for over 2 years - slow but reliable.

It's almost like if you put the stamps in a 'crinkly" glassine envelope inside the mailing envelope, someone along the way thinks there's something worth absconding with. Haven't tried bubble padded envelopes, but that ups the cost of mailing.

10. tasha

tasha Active Member

It gets very expensive from here to receive or send anything overseas and to buy something from ebay is really almost the same price as the item that we are buying. Wouldnt it be great if we could still use pigeons for deliveries!

11. cbi2015

cbi2015 New Member

traditionally trade was costly since pirates ruled the waves ... I am glad you observed that freight today either exceeds the goods value, or profit margin. that is why I retired...

12. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

New Zealand must be one of the Countries with the highest International Registration costs and then you would get not stamps on the envelope either.

That is why I like to exchange stamps with Cuntries who have a reliable postal service, sadly they are in the minority.

I have an .xl echange list of South Africa and former Homelands, South West Africa. These I could send in exchange for other sets from your Country of up to 4 of each.

I do not send by registered mail and when it is suitably of value only to selected Countries.

So do not be disappointed if an exchange is not rejected. A reference could be required.

13. I regularly sell on ebay and have no trouble. If the item is over $100 I state that the customer must pay the registration cost which is now $22.50, with reply coupon, international, from Canada. Canada Post does not have a registered letter system to USA now but a certified mail and that is out of reach. Something like $27.50. I was trading but found that the countries in Asia have a high rate of no reply. Receive the items then say the sent items in return but they never show up
    so never trade there now. Most of it is wallpaper anyway.

14. zararina

Talking about reliable postal service, agree that very few now exist. It is one reason why I am cautious exchanging stamps even telling those who would want to send me some that it might not reach me. Have lost 3 mails last year, do not know why they cannot find me. :p

15. tasha

tasha Active Member

I am waiting for a package that I ordered in December and it has still not arrived...well it got here from the USA quickly but it is now stuck at customs and then it will probably take another month. The other package is travelling the world and last stop was Jamaica whee it has been for a month now!

Draft saved Draft deleted