Horse racing stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Makanudo, Jul 5, 2016.

1. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    Two horses from a set of seven issued by Tanzania in 1993. CTO's unfortunately.

upload_2016-8-6_23-30-31.png

Regards, James.

Makanudo likes this.
  2. James-2489

Hello all, these from DPRK - North Korea
    These from my Costumes & Uniforms Theme.

Date of issue: 1979-08-01
    upload_2016-8-19_15-38-52.png

Regards, James.

BettyBoop and Makanudo like this.
  3. James-2489

Hello all, I have very few stamps from Burkina Faso.

Date of issue: 1985-07-05

upload_2016-8-20_22-23-20.png

Regards, James.

Makanudo likes this.
  4. James-2489

Bulgaria - Post Rider - 1874

Date of issue: 1974-08-05
    upload_2016-8-21_9-27-44.png

Regards, James.

5. James-2489

Hello all, this part set [3 of 7] cavalry men on horses
    from Equatorial Guinea.

Date of issue: 1976-02-02
    upload_2016-8-23_8-0-3.png

Regards, James.

Makanudo likes this.
  6. Makanudo

Makanudo Moderator Moderator

7. James-2489

Hello all, a couple of horses (+ cats and dogs) on these Australian RSPCA Centenary stamps. Date of issue: 1971-07-05. upload_2016-10-10_12-52-36.png

Regards, James.

Makanudo likes this.
  8. James-2489

Hello all, the third of my Belgian FDC's, the last stamp depicts a horse for this thread.
    Date of issue: 1960-12-05
    upload_2016-10-15_21-2-52.png

Regards, James.

BettyBoop likes this.
  9. James-2489

Hello all, this High value set depicting the equestrian statue of King Chulalongkorn.
    Siam - Thailand before the currency change from Ticals to Baht

Date of issue: 1908-11-11
    upload_2016-10-17_21-55-23.png

Regards, James.

BettyBoop, DonSellos and Makanudo like this.
  10. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

A very fine set of this difficult issue ! And a
    valuable one !
    Sometimes I feel sorry,that I sold all my Siam,
    as well as all mint Thailand and all souvenir
    sheets,before I moved over to Paraguay.

11. James-2489

Hello Werner, I have Thai yearbooks going back to 1981, a couple still to find plus 1977 to 1980 yearbooks. They still occasionally appear at the Bangkok stamp bourse and on Ebay.

Of the older stamps I'm mainly looking for the 1800's overprints and a few pre-war issues to complete sets.

Regards, James.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  12. James-2489

Hello all, Sorry, I'm four days late for the anniversary of the Battle of Hastings. This stamp (2 versions, both chalk surfaced and one with the addition of phosphor bands)

Date of issue: 1966-10-14
    upload_2016-10-18_17-24-45.png

The Bayeux Tapestry tells the story, in pictures, of the events leading up to and including the Battle of Hastings on October 14, 1066. The story is told from the Norman point of view. There is no English equivalent so it is very difficult to confirm or dispute some of the details on the tapestry.

Here are some facts about the Bayeux Tapestry.

The Bayeux Tapestry isn’t really a tapestry – it’s an embroidered linen cloth.

It is about 20 inches tall and 231 feet long (50cm tall and 70 metres long) It tells the story of the William the Conqueror‘s invasion of England and the Battle of Hastings.

The Bayeux Tapestry was probably made in England, It is thought that the tapestry was made in Canterbury, Kent, where there was a famous school of tapestry who used a style of work very similar to that found on the tapestry itself.

It was commissioned by William I’s half-brother, Bishop Odo. It was discovered in the 18th century hanging in Bayeux Cathedral.

Wool yarn, coloured by vegetable dyes, was used for the embroidery and the work is divided into fifty panels.

The tapestry starts with a scene depicting Edward the Confessor sending Harold Godwinson to Normandy, and ends with English troops fleeing the battlefield at Hastings. The appearance of Halley’s Comet is also featured.

During the French Revolution, the tapestry was confiscated with the intention of using it as a covering for military wagons. Luckily, it was hidden by a local lawyer and kept safe until the troubles were over.

Charles Dickens was quite critical of the quality of the emboridery. After viewing it, he said, “It certainly is the work of amateurs; very feeble amateurs at the beginning and very heedless some of them too.”

The arrow sticking out of Harold Godwinson‘s eye in the tapestry would appear to be a later addition.

About 6 metres of the Bayeux Tapestry are missing. These scenes would probably have centered around William I’s coronation.

The Bayeux Tapestry was produced by the Normans, the victors in the Battle of Hastings. This must be taken into account when determining its accuracy as an historical source.

William Morris, in collaboration with Thomas Wardle and his wife Elizabeth, created a reproduction of the tapesrty in 1885. A team of more than 30 seamstresses were used to complete the work.

It is though that the Bayeux Tapestry was completed in the 1070s, several years after William’s victory in the Battle of Hastings.

Regards, James.

13. James-2489

Hello all, I should have put the full set of "Battle of Hastings" stamps in the previous post, but my wife wanted me to catch some chickens so that we could take them to the new house.

Here is the full set, again two versions, chalk surfaced, with and without phosphor bands. These images from the web , but I have both set types and FDC's in my UK collection.
    upload_2016-10-18_19-6-20.png

Regards, James.

14. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

To tell the truth:
    I never found my way through the different
    overprints.Often they are not fully complete
    or heaviar or lighter.In one word: confusing !

Makanudo likes this.
  15. Paul Fleming

Paul Fleming New Member

16. Makanudo

Makanudo Moderator Moderator

17. Paul Fleming

Paul Fleming New Member

upload_2016-10-29_14-41-52.jpeg
    Paintings of some great race horses.

ubleo and James-2489 like this.
  18. Paul Fleming

Paul Fleming New Member

Love this set James, Looking for the best price so I can add them to my presentation pack collection. As its an early p.p it's a bit more expensive than the later years. I'll get it in the end.

James-2489 likes this.
  19. James-2489

Hello Paul, a fine set of stamps and horses too.
    Regards, James.

20. James-2489

Draft saved Draft deleted