Horse racing stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Makanudo, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Makanudo

Makanudo Moderator Moderator

Its a season of this fine sport, so if you have any such stamps lets enjoy them together.

Thanks

hr1.jpg

2. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello All, Not horse racing but the "Heavy Horses" such as Shires, Suffolks and Clydesdales. This FDC to celebrate the centenary of the shire horse society of England. Date of issue: 1978-07-05 so today is the anniversary.

upload_2016-7-5_16-42-7.png

Regards, James.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Molokai and Hochstrasse like this.
  3. James-2489

Hello All, some more British Working Horses. I have these as both FDC & MNH sets.

upload_2016-7-5_17-4-11.png

Regards, James.

Makanudo and Hochstrasse like this.
  4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

5. Makanudo

These are all lovely horses...
    Here is one from a nation where horses are also big part of tradition:

monh.jpg

Molokai, James-2489 and James2489 like this.
  6. Makanudo

7. Makanudo

8. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Horses for courses. Lovely stamps, great topical! I collected bicycle racing as a topical. Surprisingly quite a few of them. I also collected chess. Such topicals of course you can collect collateral material - Announcements and Brochures, Tickets, Catalogs, Programs and such.

Attached Files:

James-2489 and Makanudo like this.
  9. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Here is a U.S. stamp featuring a race of a different kind - the race to claim land when the Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma Territory was opened to white settlement in 1893. The U.S. postal service likes this event and commemorated it again in 1993 with another stamp showing a horseman racing to claim land with a buggy in the background. It also did a postal card of the 1993 scene as well. I don't have the 1993 stamp and somewhere I have the postal card, but can't find it.

Don

Cherokee strip.jpg

Makanudo and James-2489 like this.
  10. James-2489

Hello all, this beautiful mare and foal stamp from Yugoslavia.
    Date of issue: 1998-02-26

[​IMG]

Regards, James

zararina and Makanudo like this.
  11. Makanudo

Some Hungarian horse racers. Also nation with a long horse breeding tradition.

3ef.jpg

DonSellos, zararina and James-2489 like this.
  12. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Nice stamps, Makanudo! I'll add a couple more from my U.S. collection. The first, a traditional horse race issued in 1974, the second, more of a steeplechase as an Olympic event, and the third the Olympic se-tenant block issued in 1979, including the jumper.

Don

Horseracing 2.jpg

Attached Files:

James-2489 likes this.
  13. Makanudo

Don.
    Beutifull stamps. I just love the 1974 race stamp.

14. FitzjamesHorse

FitzjamesHorse Active Member

Again apologies for quality of image. Taken on ipad as I dont have a scanner.
    Ireland has actually issued several stamps related to Horse Racing and Equestrian sport.
    This five stamp set from 1996 is my favourite.
    A miniature sheet was also issued. And five postcards showing these designs.And also a booklet.
    A booklet pane showing the logo of the National Stamp Exhibition was also produced.
    And a small miniature sheet was issued for "China 96" an international exhibition. image.jpeg

15. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

More of a race against time than a race against other horses. A Pony Express related stamp.

[​IMG]

16. James-2489

Hello all,
    These stamps from Liechtenstein depict paintings of horses.
    Date of issue: 1978-12-07.

upload_2016-7-23_7-45-38.png

Regards, James.

Makanudo likes this.
  17. Makanudo

Bulgarian contribution:

hr3.jpg

Gunny and James-2489 like this.
  18. Makanudo

19. James-2489

Hello all, A friend recently returned from holiday and brought a gift for me.

Unfortunately some of the stamps are fakes, see below.

upload_2016-8-3_10-10-5.png

Buryatia is a region of the USSR to the north of Mongolia and uses Soviet stamps

Regards, James.

Report from the web.

Dear Sir/Madam

The postal administration of the RUSSIAN FEDERATION asks me to inform you of the following:

"I would like to draw your attention to our postal administration's grave concern about the illegal production and distribution of postage stamps ostensibly issued by various regions of the Russian Federation. Attached is a list of the regions in whose name illegal stamps have been issued. We were grateful to see participants attending the pilot course for Central and Eastern European countries on the promotion and development of philately, recently held in Riga (Latvia), made aware of this ever-growing proliferation of illegal stamps. We have also learned that such stamps have been openly offered for sale on the Internet for some time now.

"Not only does such a proliferation of illicit stamps do harm to philately and the Russian Federation's reputation, it also contributes to the decline of the entire philatelic market. We are therefore counting on the Universal Postal Union and the World Association for the Development of Philately (WADP) to help us find a solution to this problem immediately."

Yours faithfully,

M S RAMAN
    Assistant Director-General

20. Makanudo

This stamp was issued in 1988 to commemorate 125 years from the first horse race organized in Belgrade. I like the artwork and detail on the stamp.

hrr.jpg

FitzjamesHorse, Gunny and James-2489 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted