Hingeless Stamp Album. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Gunny, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

I was thinking about ordering this hingeless album from Mystic for my Back of the Book stamps. Has anyone used hingeless albums? I like the idea and don't mind spending the money if it is a high quality album.

Thanks.

2. Gunny

Best Answer
    Hingeless albums already have mounts affixed to the pages, so that you don't have to bother with buying all of the different sizes of mounts.

3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

That's a nice looking album. Pricey, but looks nice. The only downside I can see beside the price is that you're letting them determine what you're going to be collecting to fill the album.

4. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Really nice looking album. :)
    I do not have or use hingeless stamp album.

5. Benno

Benno New Member

I used the same kind of album for my Dutch collection. I stopped it because of the high costs for the new pages every year. Howerever it workd very well and looks very professional

6. Benno

Benno New Member

I have seen you once a day collection. Do you need more US stamps with clearly readable dates?? If so please reply, I will look through my albums for you.

7. Gunny

Thanks for the offer, but that's not my serious collection. I add to it when I come across something, but not because I'm actively hunting them down. That will be a different story a couple of years from now when I only have a few left, if I ever get that far.

Appreciate it.

8. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I have thought about the hingeless album many times. Whether it's the cost or the limitations I haven't bought it. My only criticism of the album is the standardization that it imposes on the collector. If I had a stamp with a plate number selvage or a multiple it wouldn't fix the format. A plain Scott album allows me to mix and match and it doesn't look too out of place. I can add a plain Scott page anywhere in the album. In a hingeless album adding a mount to the page detracts from the look in my opinion. It does look really nice and might someday lure me to the cash register. :)

Steve Robinson and DonSellos like this.
  9. Taliasen

Taliasen New Member

What is the different between a hinged and hingeless stamp?

10. Gunny

Best Answer
    Hingeless albums already have mounts affixed to the pages, so that you don't have to bother with buying all of the different sizes of mounts.

11. desertgem

desertgem Active Member

A regular paper page printed with outline box for a stamp requires a stamp hinge or a stamp mount that has to be 'moistened" to become sticky and stick to the album page. This damages any gum that is on the stamp, and may cause the stamp to be damaged if the stamp has to be removed later. Stamp mounts are safer, but also require that one is careful, and you have to have the correct size on hand for each stamp, but you can place them as you wish. So this would be a 'hinged' stamp, although with a mount , there is no hinge.

Hingeless albums have the holder already in place on the printed page, so the stamp in carefully inserted with no moisture or hinge coming in contact. Different methods of manufacturing, so some differences in appearance. Safer for high end collections, especially at auctions

I do not use them as they are expensive, and doesn't allow me to put varieties of the stamp on the same page by my arrangement. Also if you are just beginning or have a limited spending, you will be staring at a lot of empty mounts , like empty picture frames are more annoying than a blank wall.

http://www.stamp-collecting-resource.com/stamp-albums.html

SATX Collector and Gunny like this.
  12. Gunny

I went ahead and ordered it. I'll give a full review of it when I get it. Here's a YouTube video about Mystic's hingeless albums. I'm not getting this particular one though, I'm getting Back of the Book hingeless album.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  13. TheStampNut

TheStampNut TheStampNut.com

I've been a collector over 50 years and have tried Lindner Hingeless and other similar type albums. I ultimately settled for Mystics Heirloom Albums. I have my collection in 10 albums as I've added page protectors to each page. To allow for my own expansion, I reproduced a blank page and formated the same style outline as the other pages, added text in the same font, size etc. It's worked well for me and that way I determine what I want to add which is in a different format than what Mystic has. Cost wise too, I keep all the new stamp issues in a stock book and then I purchase a whole new set @ 39.95 every 8-10 years and that way I've got all the matching albums and keep it up to date without purchasing supplments every year.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    SATX Collector likes this.
  14. zararina

Hope you will receive it sooner. :)
    Looking forward for your review.

15. Gunny

Well, got the album. It's nice, but could have been better. Not bad enough that I'm sending it back though. Having a slew of different size mounts, and waiting to order them if I don't have one on hand is a pain.

First off, the actual binder itself feels cheap. I'll probably take the pages out and put them in a premium binder. The pages themselves are nice. At first I was disappointed the the pictures of the stamps weren't in color, but it's probably best that they're not. If they were, then they'd look like the stamps that you have on the page and won't be able to tell at a quick glance what you have and what you need.

The pages are numbered by the Scott designators.... page J1, page QE1, etc.

Here's the table of contents. As you'll see, they don't include Air Mail stamps, but I knew this going in.

[​IMG]

When you open the binder, the page on the left hand side is a description of the stamps that will be on the right hand side.

[​IMG]

The right page is where that actual stamps go.

[​IMG]

The mounts/hinge is "V" shaped. You mount a stamp by pulling down the mount from the top and sliding the stamp in. The top layer of the mount pops right back and the stamps feel secure in place. I haven't tried turning the album upside down and pounding it on the table to see if any fall out though.

[​IMG]

One drawback, as already mentioned, is the lack of space for blocks, covers, etc. I've created by own pages for these to put in the binder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, it's not bad.

16. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Nice pages Gunny! Binders in general for most stamp albums leave something to be desired, even the Scott binder in my mind isn't all that great. Probably Lighthouse makes the best album binder. I really like the heavy duty construction on a couple of German stamp albums I have. It makes Kabe albums look like junk. I think considering the price of the Hingeless you did pretty well. Are you happy enough with the Hingeless format that you will look for Airmail pages from the same company?

17. Gunny

I haven't looked yet to see if they make Air Mail hingeless pages. I will at some point.

18. jim72051

jim72051 Active Member

I have several hinge less versions of albums. I like the US Scott Platinum version that is no longer in print. It has a great padded cover. The stamps do tend to slide in the v mounts. I also have US Lindner pages, also great padded cover. They are much deeper slots and allow for excess margins on the stamps. Sometimes their choice of which stamps to include I a year set are questionable. Although they are expensive to buy new they are frequently available used in good condition at stamps show. I just passed on a great set of Pavos? albums plus stamps at a recent show for $300 that covered all US revenues. Great set of albums but I don't have enough revenues. My standard is always Scott and I put in my own clear mounts. The clear mounts are getting hard to find in dealer excess lots at shows by the way. I have picked up several Mystic albums for the stamps and in general I am not happy with them. They do have good detail about each issue but they just don't look great on the shelf the way the others do.

Gunny likes this.
  19. zararina

Those pages look good and nice that it was not that bad at all with the quality of the binder.

20. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

I primarily use Mystic for all of my albums. I have numerous sets of both the Heritage and Heirloom sets, though neither of them hingeless. As mentioned in another post, I also have the Soviet Union collection they put out some years ago in a custom 3-ring flat binder set. Plus one for Russia and I am probably going to get the Canada set as well.

Yes, the binders are no better (for the most part) than standard D-ring binders but 1) they hold the pages well, 2) they DO lay flat, 3) they are a shelf item at Mystic in case you need to expand past the albums you have, and 4) all of the Mystic lines are standard with each other so if you have shelves with multiple albums, they make a nice look.

As for a comment made re: only collecting what they show pics for - I believe they sell blank paper as well so that you can create/customize your own pages for the extras and varieties that frequently come up. I am experimenting with that idea in mind as I collect plateblocks + other mults as well so I need more than the standard block at times.

As for the need for a number of different size mounts: I get the bulk versions and cut them to size... again, because I like to do topicals on one or two pages and not all stamps from all countries are sized standard.

And I know they have stock pages for the airmails (not sure about hingeless) as I have them in my Heirlooms and Heritage both. You can always buy the clear mounts separately as well, which is what the hingeless albums have already installed.

21. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Thanks for the link... another resource that will be used.

What is the story behind Desert Gem? I spent my high school years in Tucson (was also born there but all over the country as a military brat) and my grandfather and I used to go to a lot of the old ghost towns hunting depression glass, tourmalines, chalcedony (fire agate), sand rubies, then down in the mine spills for turquoise and native copper.

James-2489 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted