Help with scott 1702 & 1703

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Tom D, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

2. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

OK - I'd go with the 'distinguishments' presented in the specialized US Scott catalog:

"1702 has overall tagging. Lettering at the base is black and usually 1/2mm below design. As a rule, no 'snowflaking' in the sky or pond. .' "

1703 has block tagging the size of printed area. Lettering at base is gray black and usually 3/4mm below design. 'Snowflaking' generally in the sky and pond . . . ' "

How SG represents these variants? Who knows?

3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

1703 as there is "snowflaking" would be my best guess. From what I'm reading here in my book it all depends on the tagging and if you had the whole pane of 50 it would be much easier to tell but who the heck has (or wants) 50! lol A UV lamp should clear it up but not sure if long wave or short wave UV lamp would be needed? I'm not good at all with tagging.

4. Tom D

Tom D Well-Known Member

I know which is Scott's 1702 vs 1703 that is not the problem . I am looking for the SG #'s for these two stamps. I have a number SC # 1676, but there are two stamps not one, or does SG not recognize the differance?:confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted