help needed with Argentina earies

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by ian potterton, Jan 18, 2019.

1. ian potterton

ian potterton New Member

Hello everybody,
    I am hoping there is someone more knowlagable than myself with early Argentina.
    I no longer collect these and I am hoping to sell the via a club packet,but first I need to identify them correctly and verify if they are genuine.
    the first is 1864 what I think is sg14,I cant remember were I aquired this stamp from but it has a cat. value of£1300 which makes me suspicious,it does have the "RA" watermark

Attached Files:

2. ian potterton

ian potterton New Member

here is another,
    sg15 allegedly cat val of £4500 it is also watermarked,cancell looks suspect.?
    the 5centavos red I think is sg13 is watermarked.
    the 10 centavos green perf 11.5 I think is sg17.
    final image I believe is sg24,1867 no wmk, I realise that most of you chaps don't use Gibbons

Attached Files:

3. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

It is nearly impossible to judge from a scan.
    But to me it looks like,that your stamp is not engraved,but litho-printed.
    If so,it would be a wellknown forgery.These exist with and without watermark.
    But again,it is very difficult to see the printing method on a scan.

DonSellos and Hochstrasse like this.
  4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Ian,
    I'm not an Argentine collector, but I have to agree with Werner that the first stamp has a bit of a crude look to it. Anything that catalogs at a high value absent a certification should raise some caution. I was looking online and found something I hadn't seen before, maybe you and others on this site might find it helpful. It is called the World Forgery Catalog and could be useful in as far as a reference in seeing which stamps have been counterfeited. For someone with access to a philatelic library or APRL privileges it is well annotated with source materials so further research on particular issue can be accomplished.
    https://www.filatelia.fi/forglinks/forgery-catalogue.pdf

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted