Help in identifying a 532, etc.

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by notional, Apr 23, 2019.

1. notional

notional New Member

Hi all! I'm reaching out again for assistance in identifying another stamp. I can't for the life of me figure out which variant this is - 532, 533, 534 (one of these), a 459 (which I doubt) or 409 (I don't think there is a watermark, or at least I have no way of telling at this moment), or one of the other variants.
    Thanks for any and all input in advance!

Scott 53something Block of Four Verticle Line 1920.jpg

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Hi Notional!
    I can't say for certain, but the characteristics seem to fall towards the type IV or the 532. Normally these stamps are best examined with good magnification to determine if the slight variations fall on one variety or the other.
    The incomplete line on the top of the toga rope is only a characteristic of type IV and it does appear like there is an "ID" inside the toga button, also a characteristic of type IV. If you have a magnifying glass look a the bottom of the neck for these traits.
    Another trait to look for is a break in the line inside the number 2, the very thin wisp of a line going to the bottom "hip" of the 2 on the left side.

DonSellos likes this.
  3. notional

notional New Member

Hi Hochstrasse!
    Thanks for your feedback. When I look with magnification, I do see an 1) incomplete line at the top of the toga rope, and 2) I can see one 'D' (on the right of the button), but could also be an "I" or an "O" shape on the left inside of the toga button. I've attached a high-res scan of the area (I've also sharpened it up a step), as I'm not sure about the 'very thin wisp' line.
    532 IV question closeup.jpg

4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Hi Notional,
    The thin line inside the 2 may or may not be broken (in your stamp it seems to be continuous), but the other 2 characteristics point to the Scott 532. That's a very nice block of 4 by the way. Is it MNH?

5. notional

notional New Member

Thanks. Yes. MNH. Original glue.
    Scott 53something Block of Four Verticle Line 1920 BACK.jpg

Hochstrasse likes this.
  6. RuStamps

RuStamps Member

Good value block
    Your stamp is definitely #532 - 533. 534 & 409 all have a very clear toga line and other details like button shape

409.jpg

533.jpg

534.jpg

notional likes this.
  7. notional

notional New Member

Thanks! After the feedback I received here, and some additional research, I'm convinced. 532 Type IV. Thank you all for the assistance. It can now take its place in my collection properly.

Draft saved Draft deleted