Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Gerry Lorsung, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Gerry Lorsung

Gerry Lorsung New Member

Hi all,
    Been collecting stamps on and off for 50 yrs give or take. Hope to connect with others how share a similar interest.
    Gerry

2. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello Gerry, first may I welcome you to the forum, also may I ask where in the world are you based please? finally what do you collect? ww, countries or themes?
    I look forward to seeing some input from you and seeing some of your collection.

Regards, James.

3. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Welcome. Glad to have you on board. Hope to see regular posts from you.

Don

4. Gerry Lorsung

Gerry Lorsung New Member

Hello again. Thanks for the welcomes. I live in Minneapolis, MN, USA. My interests in stamps has centered around US but am also finding a new interest in ww over the past few months. Have been involved in taking inventory starting with A and am up to Germany. Enjoy discovering where all these countries are located. The biggest boom for me has been the Internet, as I didn't have it when I was young.

Gerry

DonSellos and James-2489 like this.
  5. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Warmest welcome to this forum.

Sounds like similar pathways into collecting although I've been at the WW maybe a few more years. I'm up to 30 albums in the Minkus Global worldwide, but after the last couple of supplements cost me over $500, thinkin' about 'terminating' any further collecting of world wide, and especially trying to keep up with current issues. Posting the supplements (new and on-hand) will give me 34 albums worth of pages, and I've only got bookshelf space for 36. And neither of my boys has any interest in stamp collecting.

Keeping up just with the US is bad enough, both in album supplements and new issue stamps.

In your US collection, are you focused on 'everything', or just new issues? In albums with mounts, or used/hinged mounts in albums, or just stock pages? Just singles or plate blocks? Just curious.

6. Gerry Lorsung

Gerry Lorsung New Member

Hi Larry,

Thanks so much for the reply. I does me good to feel plugged into other collectors.

I experienced the same dilemma several years ago after losing my job of 30+ years. I was more or less just into US stamps and the cost of trying to keep up was overwhelming. Never settled on an album format and experimented with odds and ends over the years. Settled for producing and printing my own US updates after trying a number of alternative free album downloads. I use Album Easy but I know there are other freebies out there. The pages I produce are 8 1/2x11 inch card stock and fit easily in a three ring binder.

Used stamps and hinged mounts make for a nice display and I collect just singles. (I have several friends saving them for me.)

The internet have opened up so many more avenues of exploration. I enjoy just searching for stamp images to help highlight my inventory Excel sheets and it also helps ID stamps globally as I work with my WW inventory.

Turning to WW has renewed my interest in stamps and who knows what else will come of it. Have had a small collection 'running in the back ground' over the years as over seas stamps trickled in.

Hope this helps you,

Gerry

DonSellos likes this.
  7. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Thanks for the info on your collecting interests. I still have an offer pending on your more recent post, if you're interested.

Draft saved Draft deleted