hello new collector

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by allen thompson, Jan 7, 2016.

1. allen thompson

allen thompson New Member

hello all, I am a new stamp collector. I have been collecting coins for several years so I guess I have a new addiction

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

Welcome Allen! I too suffer from both afflictions, coins and stamps. It's good to have you aboard.

SATX Collector likes this.
  3. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Hi, Allen -

Welcome! When I renewed my interest in stamp collecting last summer I checked out all the stamp boards. While they all have something to offer, I find the StampExchange group most hospitable and friendly.

I collected coins early in life but now am just stamps. What are your specific interests within the vast realm of philately.

4. allen thompson

glad to be here my favorite coins are franklins so I plan on studying franklin stamps.

5. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Welcome to the forums... I also have a complete set of US Franklin halves in VF - XF condition. The key coin is also my birth year... expensive but a 'must have' for obvious reasons!!

Where in Alabama? Lived in Huntsville and Madison for many years and now have a couple of farms outside of Savannah, TN.

6. allen thompson

hello SATX, I live in Shelby county just outside of Montevallo in a little community called Pea Ridge. I have been wanting to get up to Madison and do some scuba diving in the quarry up there which is another hobby of mine.

7. Jim Shaver

Jim Shaver Active Member

Welcome....glad that you're aboard.

8. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Welcome to the forum Allen. :)
    I also have a small collection of coins. :D

9. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Welcome to the Stamp Exchange!

10. SATX Collector

If you can ever get on Redstone Arsenal, there are a lot of limestone quarries up there. I would advise you "look before you leap" as there are a lot of drums of ??? buried in those ponds... I used to fish most of them.

11. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead

Welcome Allen. I also left the coin world and migrated to stamp collecting. A lot less expensive depending on what you collect and what condition you're looking for. Enjoy your stay.

12. allen thompson

yeah coins are expensive but they are still my first love. I do see myself getting wrapped up in stamps though. I have a friend who collects stamps and he got me a pretty good deal on a penny black and the 2 penny blue. i think im going to stick with US stamps though. particularly Franklin stamps.

13. SATX Collector

I too do coins and stamps, and have spent the last many years trying to do the " #1 and #2 " of as many countries as possible... the Penny Black and Penny Blue are on my "want list" but when I get to that point, I will want a well-centered and nicely cancelled specimen.

As for the Franklin stamps: collecting the series or collecting all the varieties?

14. Jehovahnissi

Jehovahnissi Member

Welcome to the forum!

15. ram

ram Member

Welcome to the forum allen

Draft saved Draft deleted