Hello from Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jace Stamps, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Jace Stamps

Jace Stamps New Member

I see a few collectors I know. Hopefully can get to know a few more and help out where I can. I have a good general knowledge of WW stamps and specialized knowledge in Early GB, Canadian and Provinces.

2. Equinox

Equinox Member

Nice to have you here !
    I too am fairly new and only have praise for the community!

Early Gb eh? :)
    Just what I was planning on getting into!
    Can you suggest a good starting point for me!
    I am young and somewhat of a novice.

3. Jace Stamps

Jace Stamps New Member

Read as much as you can before spending money of stamps. Start with the SG QV Specialized catalogue (get one that is a couple years old and you will save a fair bit off the cover price). I have always said it is better to spend 100 dollars on a good book, than waste it on a bad stamp.

4. Equinox

Equinox Member

Great advice thanks,
    I know its not really considered early but I might start off on KGVI and then work my way down to Victoria (when I'm older and have made all my money!) :rolleyes:

Do you collect colonies?

5. Jace Stamps

Jace Stamps New Member

I start collecting general WW and eventually narrowed it down to GB QV and Pre-1900 Lambton County Cancels and Postal History (my home county). But I'm happy to help with Colonies/Commonwealth questions.

6. Equinox

Equinox Member

Sounds interesting and thanks for the help,

Looking forward to seeing a few scans of any pieces you might feel would represent your collection style well!

7. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Welcome to the Forum, Jace!!!

8. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Welcome to the forum Jace

9. Jace Stamps

Jace Stamps New Member

Will do!

Thanks.

10. Jace Stamps

Jace Stamps New Member

Thanks.

11. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Equinox

I was just going to put these on ebay when i saw your post, so if you want them let me have your address in conversation and i will post them out to you, sorry but the comms have already gone on ebay, but i can put you another set of them together will not be as good as the ones just posted up on ebay, but still nice stamps, and even better when they are free lol

only the 3d lilac has corner damage which is a shame, but will make a good space filler

Steve
    View attachment 2195

Jace Stamps likes this.
  12. Equinox

Equinox Member

Wow Steve!
    That would be seriously generous of you!
    I can not thank you enough, and don't worry - as my collection grows I'll find a way to repay you!

I just finished soaking a load of 2 and a half d blues and I just need to press and sort them!
    This is a great boost to my collection!

Once again thank you so much!

13. Jace Stamps

Jace Stamps New Member

Here's a pic of a couple of my album pages. I focus on plate reconstruction, varities (WMK, Re-Entries, Perfins, etc.) I make my own pages and use hawid clear mounts for everything.

View attachment 2196

Larry L. Taylor likes this.
  14. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

I will add these to the mix for you as well, a pretty good foothold on your KGVI

Steve View attachment 2197

Jace Stamps likes this.
  15. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Jace i too love the plate variations, i have quite a number of them myself, and i have to agree with you about the mounts, i too use them for everything i have in an album, i also use them on finer and more expensive stamps i have in stockbooks :)

there are some nice looking plates there

16. Jace Stamps

Jace Stamps New Member

Thank-you, the other benefit is that I'm always trying to upgrade to nicer copies, as they come along, so the mounts make it very quick to change stamps.

steve logan likes this.
  17. West

West New Member

I have been collecting for a couple of weeks!!!
    Queen Victoria and Edward VII are too expensive, for me.
    George VI and Elizabeth are too numerous.
    So I have started with George V. If you look around the site you will see what I have so far, I can recommend it as a great place to start.
    Welcome to the Exchange.

18. West

West New Member

I have toyed with the idea of branching out into Canadian stamps [see my previous message above] what advice would you give me if I decide to do so?
    Welcome to the Exchange.

19. Jace Stamps

Jace Stamps New Member

Thanks for the welcome. Canadian stamps can be as easy or as hard as you make it. A few of the earlies get expensive, but a used collection can be put together fairly easily. I'd start by just using a stookbook and buy an album later (once you're sure what level of collecting you'd like to work on).

20. West

West New Member

I like stockbooks anyway, as you can change stuff around ad infinitum. I shall give it some more thought, thanks for the words of encouragement.

Draft saved Draft deleted