Hello from BHUTAN

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Namsay, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Namsay

Namsay New Member

KUZUZANGPO and Hi everyone,
    I am Namsa Dorji from The Kingdom of Bhutan, a Himalayan Landlocked Country. I am a Medical Doctor by profession.I started liking stamps since my 5th grade but I lacked proper guidance and knowledge regarding the hobby and couldn't prosper until I went to my medical school. Recently I returned to my old passion of collecting stamps and wanted to meet people around the world with similar interest. Obviously I am just a beginner so I hope to learn from you all alot. I could never meet any collector from my country so far..seems stamp collection is not famous in Bhutan. but I love it.

can anyone tell me how you started as a collector,( your source of stamps..)and the best way of exchanging ( I saw people talking about exchanging in hundreds...if so it would be difficult for me ..) do give me some suggestions as to how to build up my collection and prosper as time goes by...
    with best regards and TRASHI DELEK
    Namsa Dorji
    BHUTAN

2. visitor

visitor Active Member

I'm pretty new to stamp collecting myself, but there are others here with lots of experience who will help you. I've learned a lot. Anyway, welcome!

Namsay likes this.
  3. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Welcome to the wonderful, wide world of stamp collecting.

My dad's collection was what got me started. He had a box of spare stamps that I could delve into. Started in very simple albums, graduated into an album with yearly supplements, and eventually a specialty US album and a large, two-volume world-wide album by Minkus (still have that album, but it has grown to 28 volumes). All told, I'm not up to about 50 album volumes.

Over the years, I bought mission or kiloware mixtures (stamps on paper), world-wide collections, country collections, trading, individual stamp purchases from dealers or other collectors. Going to a stamp show this weekend, and am currently buying individual stamps on www.stamps2go.com as that allows me to fill in a significant number of blank spaces in my collection without adding to my already excessive duplicates.

Overall, I've been into stamp collecting for nearly 60 years, with ~20 year hiatus for attending college and raising a family.

SATX Collector and Namsay like this.
  4. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Welcome to the forum Namsa. :)
    Stamp collecting is also not popular here but I can find at least 2 stores that sell collector's items such as postal stamps. Some antique shops and garage sales might also be a source of stamps.
    You can visit the "trade and want" threads here and post your preferences and possible stamps for exchange. :)

SATX Collector and Namsay like this.
  5. Namsay

Namsay New Member

Thank you all for replying to me....
    with best regards..
    Namsa

6. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

You are always welcome. :)

7. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Welcome Namsay! Are you a general collector of worldwide stamps or do you have particular countries that you collect? I started out in collecting by having friends and family save their envelopes for me that I regularly picked up. I purchased kiloware from dealers and soaked the stamps off...eventually buying a global album. The all encompassing "general collector" niche eventually proved daunting and I put that aside and settled on collecting the United States. Subsequently, I added Germany and China in my later years. I found auctions, in the beginning, to be a good way of getting started and got a couple of "box lots" that had albums and stockbooks in them, saving me the expense of having to purchase them. Sometimes they are called auction "remainders". I participated in mail auctions that featured small lots for some time, bought occasionally on Ebay and joined the American Philatelic Society from which I routinely buy some stamps. Certainly participating in some stamp exchanging will help. Nice to have a newbie on the board.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Belated greetings Namsa :)
    I started as a youngster having a interest in coins as well as stamps (My father collected coins and the history behind some of them was wonderful) Naturaly I moved on to other things as I grew older but never lost my love of collecting entierly LOL
    Places to find stamps, well you have ebay of course, flea markets, stamp magazines to name but a few.

A few links that might be of interest regarding the stamps of your own country :D

http://www.bhutanpost.com.bt/philat...ategory_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

http://fuchs-online.com/ntpsc/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postage_stamps_and_postal_history_of_Bhutan

9. palaniappan

palaniappan Member

My father collected coins and banknotes. When i was a kid, my father got me 2 stamp albums and few hundred foreign stamps for me. I arranged them country wise, sometimes theme wise. I started exchanging my doubles with school friends. Then my father got me 2 kilos of USA stamps on paper. I and my brother had very much fun soaking them in water and getting out the stamps out of paper. We dried the stamps. Then put them in our albums. After school, there was no time to collect. At the age of 30 years, i again started stamp collection. I am collecing for the past 2 years, not actively, but through exchanges.

I thank my late father, for encouraging to collect stamps, coins and banknotes. I still collect all of them.

warm wishes.

zararina and Steve Robinson like this.
  10. John Tullis

John Tullis New Member

Hello,
    I am a stamp dealer in Washington state,USA, I began much like you are doing....any stamp from any country, wow! was an amazing experience that was. Stamp collecting really got me learning about and other countries, customs and really stirred my want to visit other countries.
    I was very fortunate to to have lived in Europe for many years, I ever got to go to the 1956 Worlds' Fair. There I sent every dime I had for the World's Fair national stamps.
    Just those stamps made for a fairly large collection. Soon after that wonderful experience I went off the college, the military, family and so on...I had 3 fairly large albums and over 500 FDC (worldwide), it was time to buy a home and settle down. I sold off most of my collection, boy do I wish I had them back. That was some 50 years ago. I learned from collecting worldwide that this very costly and is all consuming. I was going through many of my stored packing boxes in storage, were my stamps that I had not sold off....I got a big grin and I knew never lot the excitement of collecting. I now one collect Bhutan and loving it. My suggestion is to pick one country (smaller-fewer stamps to find). I now am collecting three countries, all small and that way I have less stamps to track down. I am presently building a website (BHUTAN-Thunder Dragon Stamps) and am working with Mr. Todd's daughter (Frances) on presenting the best possible Bhutan experience for the collector.
    If I can of any help at all with your collecting needs please let me know. If you would like to exchange stamps that would be great.
    John Tullis

11. John Tullis

John Tullis New Member

12. John Tullis

John Tullis New Member

13. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

14. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

One place I collect some stamps is from the businesses I work with and for. I get the receptionists and secretaries to open the envelopes from the bottom and then give them to me. Also have friends and neighbors do the same thing. All for free and a smile!

Draft saved Draft deleted