Hello Fellow Collectors!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by micah13, Apr 17, 2014.

1. micah13

micah13 New Member

I love to browse antique stores for shelves and drawers of hidden and forgotten stashes of old stamps. I haven't found any really valuable stamps yet, but I'm still looking! If you have any tips on how to find some old stamps, maybe estate sales, or things like that, let me know!

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Always being on the hunt for old stamps, documents, letters is a good way to go. Estate sales, estate auctions, flea markets, garage sales and friends and family are good sources. I purchased many stamps directly from USPS for many years and attended many a stamp auction. I bought a few stamps from mail sales, Ebay and mail bidded a few out of state auctions. Serious collecting requires some commitment and a few quid.

3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Hi, and welcome! I usually buy stamps from dealers or on Ebay, or dealers on Ebay. When I have money to buy anything, that is. If you're looking to pick up stamps before they hit the dealers or Ebay you could try estate sales, garage sales etc, or place an ad in your local newspaper.

4. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Welcome to the forum Micah. :D
    Maybe try asking some old mails from your friends and if you got lucky, those will have very nice old stamps.

5. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

I've never had much luck finding stamps/covers at antique stores or garage sales. What I've seen in the antique stores are usually grossly overpriced, and only once have I seen stamps for sale at a garage/estate sale. If you live in the U.S. and enjoy going to garage/estate sales or online outlets, check out Craig's List. In my local area stamp collections and accumulations occasionally show up on Craig's List, but mostly very common items, and again somewhat overpriced.

Don

6. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

Although Peter seems to like ebay, I steer clear of it.
    The free to list and sell sights will give you almost as many bargains.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  7. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Some referrals thru former stamp club members (club now defunct), kiloware buys thru ads in stamp magazines, country collections at stamp shows, purchases thru USPS, specialty items from dealers at stamp shows, a few auction. Used eBay to fill a lot of my plate block collection.

8. James2489

James2489 New Member

Hello all, I'm a new member, today. I collected stamps as a child (until I discovered girls). Then I started collecting again when I retired. I collect from EBay and a few other auctions also from the stamp bourse at the main post office in Bangkok (when I can get there). I also trade with a couple of Thai collectors. They know which stamps I need to complete sets and I supply them with pre 1960 WW stamps (duplicates) from my old collection. Kiloware is also available at the bourse and a few dealers nearby.
    Happy collecting, James

9. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Hello there too James. :)
    Welcome to the forum and we will be glad to see some of your stamps in various threads here.

10. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome Micha & James :) I buy from Ebay/Delcamp/Ebid and from on line dealers as well as (when my health is up to it) visit shows

Draft saved Draft deleted