Hand cancelled?

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by redsox81, May 14, 2013.

1. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

I assume this stamp is hand cancelled? Does it raise the value any? What is the purpose for hand cancelled stamps? I seem to favor them. Thanks all!

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

It's not really certain that this is a hand cancel. Most of the hand cancels I have seen are just parallel lines across the stamp, but it could be a hand cancel. This looks to me like something was written across the envelope before the stamp was removed from it. It's just speculation on my part, but it does look like part of a word. Hand cancels are usually valued less to my experience than are cork cancels, machine cancels or stamp cancels. This is a nice looking stamp and in my opinion the writting does not detract from it's appeal or value.

3. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

4. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

It is not a cancel at all but a signature.
    Postage stamps were used years ago to value things like birth certificates and marraige certificates.
    Sometimes they were used to authenticate the charge for docking vessels or even for expensive receipts of goods delivered.
    They were also used to authenticate deeds to propertys.
    As this is not very high value my money would be on a birth certificate.
    If you want to ask me how I know it is because I own several myself and know a dealer who sells little else, he has hundreds of brewerey receipts with stamps on.

Steve Robinson and Hochstrasse like this.
  5. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

I have a few more myself. My fav is the Washington revenue insurance stamp but I've never been able to read what it says. I don't think its the same as what we r talking about, but the writing looks similar.

Steve Robinson and Hochstrasse like this.
  6. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Bravo tu7! I knew there was some kind of explanation I was unfamiliar with. Redsox81 that does ring a bell also, I've got revenues too that have writing over the stamps.

7. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Whether it was a hand cancel or a signature, it looks nice on the stamp.
    Some of my stamps have check markings by a ballpen because I submitted these stamps as a school project before, and I do not like those markings of course. :p

8. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Look to me 2? Paid was written on the stamp so it was used as some receipt of sorts as Revenue.

9. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

Hey H coming from you that is praise indeed, thanks.

10. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

They usually fetch a premium Zee, due to their superior aesthetic appeal.

11. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

Why not post one so we can see it?

Draft saved Draft deleted