Half and Quart Cents Stamps?

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Randi, Mar 6, 2015.

1. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

I don't have any new half-penny... didn't know they were available.

2. Barry

Barry Member

Most of the fractional rate stamps used in the US were used for larger commercial or non-profit mailers. The post office wouldn't typically be selling one or two stamps at a time but usually full sheets or coils. Multiply any of these fractional value stamps by 100 or 1000 and you don't need to worry about fractional coinage to pay for them.

James-2489 and SATX Collector like this.
  3. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello, I am reasonably sure I will have one or two back in the UK, If I remember to find one (down the back of a chair, between the floorboards.) :joyful: I'll post one to you on my next visit (2016 ?)
    Regards, James

PS. It is possible that one of the Brits on the forum might have one for trade?

4. James-2489

Do you know how your Dollar got it's name?

upload_2015-3-16_17-14-5.png

Anyone have one of these in their collection?

Regards, James

SATX Collector likes this.
  5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I have heard various stories about how the dollar got its name. The one I buy into is the one our Red Book coin catalog of U.S. coins tells. They claim the silver mines in the former Kingdom of Bohemia were used to mint coins called Thalers which morphed into the term dollars. The coin is purported to have first been used in the state of Tyrol, a province of Austria in 1484. Many versions of the thaler were used all over the continent including the Dutch coin you are showing. I don't have any of the old talers myself. Nice example you have James.

James-2489 likes this.
  6. James-2489

You are correct H, I just started with the Dutch introduction into the Americas.
    Not one of my coins unfortunately. I do have a 1st century Greek silver coin though. Back in the UK.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  7. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

An interesting fact about the US Half-Cent coins, back when they were being minted, the half-cent had the buying power equivalent to about fifteen cents today. In other words, the half-cent coins were more valuable than today's penny, nickel and dime, and nearly as valuable as the three added together. Yet, the US Congress then saw fit to do away with them in the Coinage Act of 1857, but won't even get rid of the one cent coin today though it's worth less than 10% of what the half-cent was worth then.

James-2489, Hochstrasse and Gunny like this.
  8. Hochstrasse

The coins of antiquity are very interesting, nice you have a coin that's that old. One of these days I'd like to pick up an old Roman coin with the head of some famous emperor. :)

SATX Collector likes this.
  9. Hochstrasse

I couldn't agree with you more, the penny has become more of a nuisance these days than any practical item. It is essentially worthless. Even the nickel and dime really don't buy anything these days.

10. James-2489

Regarding small change. One of my pet hates is when they advertise something for $-£ 999.99 who are they trying to kid! Who wants the penny change anyway.
    James.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  11. James-2489

Hello all, Here in Thailand we have Notes of 1000 baht (≈ $30 or £20), 500, 100, 50, 20 and coins of 10 baht , 5, 2, (special events) 1, 50 Satangs (0.5 baht) and 25 Satangs. many traders will not accept the Satang values but will give in change.
    Utility bills may be 432.37 baht. Why not round the bill and ± the next. I suppose it's the banks working to ¹/1000 penny.

Sometimes on the way home from the school I'll buy breakfast, Chicken-rice-vegetables-chillies with half pint of clear chicken soup and turnip? for the princely sum of 40 baht = $1.20.

Regards, James.

12. James-2489

Hello, I literally found the coin, I was at junior school age between 7 & 11 years when my father (between trips) took me to his boat on the Thames (River in London) During low tide we went exploring, I saw something shining in the rather smelly mud, never found the shiny bit but I had picked up the coin as well. The next day my father took me to the British Museum to identify the coin, they said it was in very fine condition and asked where it was found. They kept the coin, much to my dismay. A few weeks later my father received a letter from them giving details of the coin and saying that they would make an offer for the coin, or we could come and collect it. Which we did to very next day, I still have the coin but have no idea where the letter is, if found it would prove provenance and probably the value of the coin. The coin is 1st century AD probably from a Greek trader or a Greek soldier aboard a Roman Ship

Regards, James

Hochstrasse and SATX Collector like this.
  13. SATX Collector

I bought some old Roman coins from a stamp dealer... neither one of us know what they were or their value but I was thinking about using them as a prop in my wife's Vacation Bible School... something for the kids to see and use to visualize with... can't be worth much as they were given to him in a trade and he didn't do coins. Grade isn't all that good either...

14. SATX Collector

When they went to the clad-zinc coins, the finish on the coins became very susceptible to just about everything: scratches, chemicals, water, fingerprints, etc. I like all of the older ones better... get a natural and sometimes colorful patina on them...

Hochstrasse likes this.
  15. SATX Collector

Cool story....:smuggrin:

16. Hochstrasse

The only way to insure a clad coin remains pristine is preservation. I've seen a few with patina, but you're right they are very fragile. I wonder why that is? Perhaps the lamination process?

17. Hochstrasse

That's really a great memory. People always dream of finding something like that, a gold coin on the beach from a sunken treasure ship, a hoard someone kept in the attic and forgot about or a rare coin dug up in the garden.

18. James-2489

Hello,
    We regularly went mudlarking, I guarantee that in an old river like the Thames, in 4-5 hours you would find something, we always did. We used a pointed stick or a metal rod, Today they use metal detectors (higher find rate) Of course not always coins or Treasure :jimlad: more usually shackles, bolts, nails, brass fittings, once a brass porthole cleaned and sold to a dealer. Our other treasured find was a bronze knife about 8” - 200mm long, with a very short handle, probably a child’s knife, no holes or pins in the handle so it was most probably bound with a leather lace (long rotted away). My father’s boat was crushed and destroyed by large barge in 1958 so that was the end of our mudlarking.

Regards, James

Hochstrasse likes this.
  19. Hochstrasse

I have thought about the metal detector, but the craze I used to witness in our area seems to have slacked off. I guess most of those using them were finding only lost pocket change and now that the value of money is way down so is the interest. If I was living in Florida where the chance of finding old Spanish coins was an actual possibility I probably would spring for one.

20. SATX Collector

Where we live in the South, a lot of Civil War action happened... we live just a few miles away from Shiloh Battlefield. I have used MD's to find parts of old tack harnesses, buckles, buttons, stable nails. Found out that the place I had in Madison Alabama was on the edge of an old stable collection point for ponies going to the war effort. Also a lot of dug ditches in that area.

Never found any coins, which is what I was really hunting... did find a musket ball in my flowerbed once though!!

James-2489 and Gunny like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted