Half and Quart Cents Stamps?

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Randi, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Randi

Randi New Member

Does anyone know more information about these or fraction cents stamps in general? I was looking closely through my album and found these! I have never seen a stamp with a fraction worth! I assume they are more common than I am aware.

11041791_943732108994887_8318402752679971776_n.jpg 11043263_943732145661550_4450302334468308029_n.jpg

2. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

I've seen stamps to the fraction, but only by 1/2. Never seen stamps denominated to the 1/4th. Here are a couple that I have. A lot of postal rates depended on how much a package weighed, still does, so instead of rounding up or down to the nearest cent, they printed fraction denominated stamps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peter T Davis and SATX Collector like this.
  3. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Gunny is spot on... has to do with the cost of delivery to a certain range of locations. This particular stamp depicts the oldest building in the US (formerly Mexican Territory) and is now a museum in New Mexico.

4. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

If memory serves me, there are several fractional stamps (1/2, 1-1/4, 1-1/2, 2-1/2, 4-1/2) in various series of definitives issued up thru about 1960. Then there have been several fractional stamps with decimal amounts (5.3, 7.6, 8.4, 13.2, 16.7, 17.5, 20.5, 24.1); part of the transportation series.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  5. Randi

Randi New Member

That makes sense. I can't believe that they were issuing fractional stamps all the way up through 1960! Maybe those stamps aren't as old as I thought!
    The Palace of The Governors is seriously the oldest building in the US? Or do you just mean in the Western US?
    I defiantly have never seen any with a decimal before. I think I prefer the ones with fractions. I just like the way the numbers look. :)

6. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello, how on earth did they make the (fractional?) decimal stamps work? 16.7 cents do they round up or down? may just as well sell 16c and 17c stamps.

In the UK we had many fractional issues but you could pay in coin the full cost.
    Regards, James

7. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I think it is my first time to see a stamp with 1/4 on it. Maybe that means 1 and 25 cents.

8. James-2489

Surely then they would print $1.25 same most other countries.
    upload_2015-3-7_14-59-52.png upload_2015-3-7_15-8-6.png
    upload_2015-3-7_15-23-33.png
    Regards, Jim

zararina likes this.
  9. SATX Collector

From Arago: I misread... oldest PUBLIC building...

Description:
    This Liberty Issue stamp depicts the Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The adobe building was originally established in the early 17th century as an administrative building for Santa Fe de Nuevo Mexico, a province of New Spain; it is considered America’s oldest public building. The control of the province passed to Mexico after the Mexican War of Independence. Then, following the Spanish-American War, the territory was incorporated into the United States, ultimately earning statehood in 1912. The building is now a museum.

10. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

The main reason for the immergence of fractional values was the beginning of the third class, non-profit bulk/quantity discount mail rates.

SATX Collector likes this.
  11. zararina

I think those stamps with fraction of cents value were more common before since money have more value before. :D

Hochstrasse likes this.
  12. Hochstrasse

You sure are right on that one Zee. Now that we have a 49c rate the non-profit rates, bulk mail rates and such are now evenly rounded.

zararina likes this.
  13. zararina

I also think the same thing about them just rounding those amount. :D

14. James-2489

Hello all, a little off subject but still on fractional values - coins this time.
    This one from my birth year. one farthing = ¼ penny = ¹/960 pound
    when I was a 6 y/o I could buy a single sweet (candy) from the corner shop with one of these. and 3d (3 pence) for a bag of chips (fries)
    upload_2015-3-15_22-2-20.png
    If you think that this is a low value coin, try this 1868 coin for size --
    ¹/3 farthing = ¹/12 penny = ¹/2880 of a pound
    upload_2015-3-15_22-8-9.png

I have a full set of coins for my birth year.

Regards, James

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    Hochstrasse, SATX Collector and Gunny like this.
  15. SATX Collector

As a part-time coin collector myself, nice photos. I believe I have a farthing or two put away... for awhile I was collecting all of the shillings, half-penny, and such fractional coins as I could get to them. Have a number of pound and decimal pound coins and paper bills as well.

16. Hochstrasse

The only fractional coins in U.S. numismatics is the 1/2 cent coin. I don't personally own any because a collection is prohibitively expensive. They ended in 1857 and began in 1793.

17. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

I had quite an extensive half cent collection at one time. They can get very expensive, one of the reasons that I moved to stamps. Here are a couple of different types that I had in my collection:

Obverse 500 x 497.JPG Reverse 500 x 497.JPG Obverse 500 x 497.JPG Reverse 495 x 500.JPG Obv 800 x 798.JPG Rev 800 x 800.JPG

18. SATX Collector

19. Hochstrasse

I really like the coins. I have an large cent collection that I'm working on in lieu of the half cent. The designs are quite similar so it kind of fulfills my desire to collect them.

20. James-2489

Hello all, what country other than the UK can introduce a non decimal coin with the introduction of a decimal system?
    upload_2015-3-16_9-6-14.png

More later, James.

Gunny likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted