Grilled Stamps

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by CalzoneManiac, Apr 24, 2014.

1. CalzoneManiac

CalzoneManiac Member

I am going to talk to you about grilled stamps. US Postage stamps from about 1867 up until 1875 featured "grills", small embossed areas which are usually seen from the reverse. The object was for the cancellation ink to soak into the grill which would make cleaning for re-use impossible. The first stamp featured what is now called an "A" grill, and contained the 3c, 5c, and 30c varieties, of which the first is the most available. A grills are easily detected because they cover the reverse of the stamp. The "B" grilled 3c stamp is very rare and prized by collectors. Many stamps with what appear to be B grills are actually C grills with a portion of the grill erased. This occured during the change from A grills to C grills. 2c and 3c stamps were produced with a D grill, and most varieties of 1861-66 stamps exist as common "E" and "F" grills. The "Z" grilled issues have horizontal ridges, compared to the D, E, and F grills which have vertical ridges. Six values were printed with Z grills: 1c, 2c, 3c, 10c, 12c, and 15c (Scott 85A-85F). The 2c, 3c, and 12c values are the only readily available ones. Two examples of the 1c exist, one in a museum, one which sold in 2005 for $3M. Six of the 10c and two of the 15c stamps are known, with one of the former residing in a museum. The controversial 1869 issue exists as a "G grill", although a few do not have this grill. For the Bank Note series, H and I grills are found. These were apparantly only produced during 1870 and 1871. The grill system re-appeared as the enigmatic "J grill" for a short time in 1875.

zararina likes this.
  2. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

So informative, that is one I like best about old stamps, they can be reusable. :)

3. derailed

derailed Active Member

Interesting piece of article you got there. Hm, it's a pretty good innovation in my opinion. Just imagine how revolutionary this "technology" was for those times.

4. I love the old stamps for this area. This was a very interesting post. I unfortunately don't have that many in my collection as of now.

5. Thank you for the interesting read. I am still learning, so this is all entirely new to me. I have never heard of grilled stamps. Thank you for the information. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted