Grant Stamp

Discussion in 'What's it Worth?' started by GoldenEgg54, Jan 29, 2019.

1. GoldenEgg54

GoldenEgg54 New Member

I found this in my father's stamp collection on a side page. Can anyone identify when this was issued and value?

IMG_20190129_220309.jpg

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

The stamp is unknown to me. It seems to be a fantasy stamp that incorporates aspects of the large banknote layout with a character, General Grant, from the Bureau issues in which Grant came in a 4c and 5c denomination. The cancellation is familiar and current with the bureau issues. It likely went through the mail system and fooled everyone that handled it. The fact that it has a missing corner means it likely has little or no value, but it sure is a great curiosity piece.

3. GoldenEgg54

GoldenEgg54 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Probably why my father had it on a side page. He couldn't find out what it was either. Does this make the stamp a rarity?

4. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

It looks like a cutout from what Scott describes as a letter sheet printed by the American Bank Note Company in 1886 and withdrawn in 1894. See Scott U293. My catalog is old, but the sheet carries a premium for an entire. I don't know if a cut square would have collector value or not.

Thanks, GoldenEgg for posting. I had not seen one of these before. Learned something today.

Here is an image of one now on eBay for $5.00. There are several listed on eBay, type in Sc U293 in the search block to see.

[​IMG]

Don

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Hochstrasse and Werner Salentin like this.
  5. GoldenEgg54

GoldenEgg54 New Member

Thanks Don for this information! Now it makes sense.

Is eBay the best place to sell stamps ?

6. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

That is a question that I can't answer for you. First, I don't have a lot of experience selling stamps. Just enough to know that I couldn't make a living that way. I sold a few things on eBay 10-15 years ago. A lot depends on what you have to sell, how much you know about stamps and covers, how quickly you want to sell the stamps, where you live, i.e. the U.S. or somewhere else, your record keeping skills, and how much time you have to do what is necessary to list and describe the items for sale and get them ready for shipment if you sell them on line or by mail.

Run of the mill stamps, i.e U.S. and World Wide commemorative and definitives since 1940 are slow movers if listed individually. Just too many similar items for sale and not enough demand. Unusual items, especially covers, will sell fairly quickly. It also costs money to sell on eBay and the other online sites. It is necessary to have a PayPal account to collect the sales prices. PayPal takes a commission too. If you sell online you will need a decent scanner also. Smart phone photos usually are not good enough quality to entice buyers to bid. One sees some wretched photos of stamps on the sale sites from time to time. Don't know how those sellers hope to sell their items.

Is eBay the best? Boy, I don't know. There is also HipStamps and Delcampe, but I have zero experience selling with the latter two and very little experience buying on them. Check out the selling requirements for them. They should be readily accessible on their home pages.

If you want to sell quickly and don't know much about stamps, a reputable dealer might be the best route. Pay for an appraisal and then seek a dealer who would offer close to the appraised amount. Most dealers want to buy at 10% of catalog or less, but if your collection is high quality, you might get a higher percentage. Really quality collections do pretty well at dealer-run auctions, but it will take awhile to receive payment and there is usually a 20% commission taken off the top of sales price.

Join the American Philatelic Society and you can sell stamps on its online site and through its mail sales circuits. You would need to know what your are offering, though, and be willing to sell for around 40 percent of Scott or less to go that route. The APS also takes a commission, probably 20%, I'm not sure.

I don't know, but it looks like you can sell stamps on this site. There is a For Sale forum listed. Give it a look and see what the possibilities might be.

I can't say which outlet is best for you. Give them all some consideration and decide which looks doable. It is not easy to sell stamps and, regrettably, you probably will not get nearly as much as you hope for.

Best wishes, though, for a successful sale.

Don

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted