GoT AnY ReaL G00D DeaLS LAteLY, PLeaSE SHaRE!

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Harry Golightly, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

I recently 'struck gold' philatelically anyway and want to share w/ the group.
    See Pics below.
    Figuring that many of you have done likewise I thought that it might be of interest hearing about any great deals other members had the luck to be apart.
    Please take time to africaV1.jpg africav2..jpg share stories and/or pics...maybe both.
    Thanks,
    Harry

2. jim72051

jim72051 Active Member

I picked up a 50 page hardbound album of US Defense Pre-cancels (Klein Brothers) at the last FLOREX convention. It is hardbound and printed in 1945; and it is completely filled. My first completed album and I didn't have to do it.

Harry Golightly likes this.
  3. Harry Golightly

Hi Jim,
    Very impressive. Was it expensive or did you 'Break Bad'?
    Thanks for sharing.
    I forgot to mention that my MNH block w/ the incomplete 'L'
    (SG O17 27a) is valued at 250£. I paid 20.00 USD.

4. jim72051

jim72051 Active Member

It was $30, maybe retail about $150.

5. Harry Golightly

I would definitely call that a Good Deal. Not being a U.S. collector I had no idea about the interest/popularity/rarity of U.S. Defense pre-Cancels.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Harry

6. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Recently purchased a single Minkus Master Global album with stamps contained therein, and a Kabe? blank pages album with topical (mostly ships/boats/water craft). May have netted 1000 stamps I didn't previously have. Perhaps of more interest was some of the older pages in the album could be used to replace several of the pages in various countries where I had run out of space to post all the color variants, more commemoratives, and overprints. Pages were dated thru the early 1950s.

That was done just before going to a stamp show where I bought a bunch of mint Canada sheetlets (charged USD for Canada face value), and a bunch of se-tenant US for postage at 15% discount. Actually gave me some new sheets I didn't already have in my collection.

7. Harry Golightly

Hi Larry,
    Thanks for sharing your good luck.
    Is it your opinion great deals on stamps (material) is becoming easier to buy or does it remain about the same as ,say 5 years ago? (i.e you need to be in the right place, at the right time.)
    Also could you provide a few scans of your new 'good deal'?
    Regards,
    Harry

8. Larry L. Taylor

here's my best shot at it. 1st two images are from the album I'm dis-assembling - haven't 'posted' them - yet. It's mostly recent stuff (which I don't normally collect). 3rd image is an example of the Canadian MNH at face value.

Attached Files:

9. Harry Golightly

Hi Larry,
    Thanks for the scans. Quite a few stamps shown.
    Were you by chance able to purchase any of the Canadian error recalled 2015 unesco world heritage sites Souvenir Sheets?
    HGG

10. Larry L. Taylor

Nupe. I wasn't even aware of such an error or that there was a recall. The only misprint recall I ever got involved in was the USPS Legends of the West. Got 4 of those sheets. Shoulda sold one when they were at $475 per sheet.

Those stamps on the stock sheets were from the collectors topical album and represent maybe 5% of what I pulled from that album. And I'm getting a few stamps from the Minkus album. Am actually keeping tracks of the numbers (by country) and should be able to report a total in the next month or so.

11. Harry Golightly

Big score on 'Legends' souvenir sheets.... Kudos!
    I was a seller on eBay beginning in '98. Have not sold anything for the last 2-3 years but thinking about jumping back in. Don't think I'll be selling
    stamps, probably Omega wristwatches. I have about 5 that I've collected over the years and don't really use any more.
    While you are pulling stamps from your Minkus album, transferring, etc. I'll be going through my MNH Iceland collection and re-pricing with the new Scott 2018 CV.
    Looks like my Iceland 'stock' took a -20% average hit. It had been $54K
    in 2017 CV, but as the raven said: "Nevermore!"
    Regards,
    H

Draft saved Draft deleted