GOOD TO GREAT STAMP FINDS in out-of-the-way places?

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by H. G. Golightly, Apr 13, 2018.

1. H. G. Golightly

H. G. Golightly Active Member

If any of the members care to share perhaps a Good to Great stamp find or purchase in Antique Shops, Flea Markets, Garage or Estate Sales, Etc, PLEASE
    Feel free to share. (Because,if it can happen to you, it might happen to
    one of us)
    My only story is not great but might be considered a good one.
    While searching Craig's list I came across an ad where the son of a
    stamp dealer had inherited his dad's collection and was getting ready to list it
    on eBay, if first, he could not sell the complete collection. The majority of his collection was French Territories, especially the FSAT. When asked the price for
    the complete group I found that there were many multiples of other French Territories that I really had no interest in. When I demurred from buying the complete lot, he offered to sell separate sets at only 15% of Scott CV!
    That, my fellow collectors, is how I started my French Antarctic Territories collection. He went on to find a buyer of all the remaining stamps, but only after I had bought all that I needed.
    Do you have a 'Good to Great Stamp Find' story that you are willing to share w/ this group?
    Please Advise,
    H.G. Golightly

2. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Just recently I came across and old window envelope which had a (auction) number stamper in the top corner. This reflected the auction lot that was purchased.
    I was visited a fellow stamp dealer and he had a shoebox full of South West Africa stamps on his counter that presumably just received but never had the time to take a good look at the items.

On inquiring what price he attached to this which was agreeable to me I purchased the box. In it I discovered numerous issues with inverted watermarks that today had become a fair investment after nearly 40 years.
    It was a good buy.
    Many a collect come dealer, would have similar anecdotes - all part of philately.

Another story ! Years ago I bought a cigar box full Cape rectangular Hope stamps, also from a dealer. This included a few 1000 of the 1/2d black issue. The box cost me little because of the Mass.
    Because it was relative easy to view the watermark I scrutinized them all in search for inverted watermarks.
    I found about eight of different values including a nice pair of inverts.
    Needles to say I sold some at handsome prices, paid for the time I searched.

3. H. G. Golightly

H. G. Golightly Active Member

Hi Phil,
    Thank you for sharing your good fortune and excellent finds.
    I was beginning to think that none of the members had had any luck.
    Seems like yours is centered around buying 'unknown' quantities...I never thought of that as being a possibility..(DOAH!)
    Perhaps other members will take the time to share their stories, as well.
    Stay Well,
    Harry

4. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Here is a short little investment story.

In 1965 I bought an illustrated postcard which had the same cache as the special postmark. I just started in my my first job so had little spend money, for stamps anyhow.
    The post card was attractive and bought it at 8x the price of the franking, the postage being current and first Day of issue.
    Many years later after girls and cars etc. I visited my collection again and discovered it being the first special issue of the the following range of numbered FDC.
    Needless to say today it has increased by 60 000% is relative scarce because of low printing figures.
    It was a nice item sold many years later - no big deal.

H. G. Golightly and DonSellos like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted