Gatun Locks Stamp

Discussion in 'Want Lists' started by micah13, Apr 17, 2014.

1. micah13

micah13 New Member

Does anyone have one of these stamps? It's from the turn of the last century. They're pretty valuable. I think a few might be in the hands of collectors who won't give them up because they're crazy valuable.

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Which Gatun Locks Stamp are you talking about? There is one from the Panama Pacific Exposition and one from the Canal Zone that I am familiar with, then there is the 25th anniversary issue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Nice stamps you have there Hoch.
    How much those stamps cost now? Just curious. :p

4. Hochstrasse

I don't own any of those stamps, I was just curious which of them micah13 was talking about.

5. tu7

tu7 Well-Known Member

I especially like the navy overprint. Do you believe it to be genuine Hoch, as I know more than 50% of overprints are forged.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  6. Hochstrasse

Yes, the photo that I lifted from a website looks like the real deal to me. That's interesting to know about the Canal Zone overprint. If I branch out into collecting Canal Zone I'll bear that in mind. Right now the only possessions of the U.S. I collect are Hawaiian stamps.

tu7 likes this.
  7. micah13

micah13 New Member

I think the one I'm looking for is the bottom image you posted. The color is different though. Maybe the one I saw was faded. Someone said they're worth $1500 because of an error on the die, only a few survived destruction.

8. Hochstrasse

You must mean the rare "Lake color" shade of that stamp which retail for about 5 thousand dollars.
    [​IMG]

9. desertgem

desertgem Active Member

Yeah, I would like the 'Lake color" one also :) Complete the set.

[​IMG]

Jim

zararina likes this.
  10. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Nice set you have there Jim. :D

11. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Not sure the Pan Pacific 2 cent issue depicts the Gatun Locks. One of my stamp catalogs refers to that picture as being the Pedro Miguel locks.

Don't know if that is a different name for the Gatun locks complex.
    Gatan.JPG

Steve Robinson and zararina like this.
  12. Hochstrasse

That's the one. The lake is called Gatun Lake. Therefore the locks on Gatun Lake are the Gatun locks.

13. I never heard of these. Thanks for bringing them to our attention. I will definitely be on the hunt.

14. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarie Member

I would definitely be interested in gatun lock stamps to add to my collection. It there are any serious traders let me know. I have a pretty diverse collection that you could look over.o_O

Draft saved Draft deleted