French Colonies

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by anglobob, Sep 10, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Very attractive set, nicely centered!

Don

2. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

A set from Madagascar,issued in 1942 with France Libre overprints.The stamps show a monoplane flying over a map of Madagascar. MADAGASCAR.jpg

Gunny, DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  3. anglobob

In 1942,four stamps originally issued in 1940 were re-issued with the surcharge 24-10-1940 .This was to commemorate the visit in 1940 of Charles de Gaulle to Brazzaville which was the capital of France Libre.
    The stamps were only sold on commemorative postcards and postally used copies are hard to find.
    The card below has a for favour cancellation.
    Image (137).jpg Image (139).jpg

4. anglobob

A card from the above series used in 1943 to commemorate the first air service between AEF and Madagascar.The card has some nice cancellations. Image (140).jpg

5. anglobob

A cover sent in 1948 from Nouna,Upper Volta to France with an interesting selection of stamps.There is a 1940 airmail issue from French Sudan and two stamps from French West Africa,which first issued stamps in 1944.One shows military personnel and the other is an airmail stamp showing Antoine de St.Exupery.Nice cancellations too. Image (133).jpg

6. DonSellos

Nice items, Bob. Good stuff. I especially like the real photo cards. Did anything important happen with Brazzaville as the capital of Free France? Was there a government and governance from there or was it a symbolic capital only?

Don

Harry Golightly likes this.
  7. anglobob

It,s been a while since I have posted here.Seem to be spending more time with my British Commnwealth collection.Here are a couple of scans of my favourite French colonies issues.1939 sets commemorating 150th anniversary of the French revolution from Martinique and Wallis and Futuna Islands.
    Not the usual circular cancellation on the Wallis stamps. Image (229).jpg Image (230).jpg

Hochstrasse and DonSellos like this.
  8. anglobob

An interesting item from French Equatorial Africa.
    A postcard issued in 1942 to commemorate the visit of Charles de Gaulle in 1940.Four stamps were issued and supposedly 20,000 copies were sold affixed to a postcard.This card shows the 80c value,along with two other values to cover the value of registered post to USA.
    The card was mailed April 8,1943 and has arrival date stamps from NYC plus a US censor cancellation. AEF SCAN.jpg Image (236).jpg

Harry Golightly and DonSellos like this.
  9. DonSellos

Are the cancels first days? The addressee must have been a collector.

Don

10. anglobob

Its not a first day cancel.
    I have found some similar items,mailed with patriotic slogans.My Dallay catalogue says that these cards which are postally used have quite a high value.I will post them as soon as I have the pages printed.
    Bob

DonSellos likes this.
  11. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Hi Bob,
    Back from my Austin 'trek' in my 1997 Ford Explorer.
    Really nice piece of postal history and nicely presented.
    HG

12. anglobob

A couple more interesting items,again relating to General de Gaulle,s visit to AEF
    Postcards with the overprint from 1942,sent in October 1943 from Brazzaville to a Senator Giacobbi from Corsica.
    These cards if genuinely postally used,have a high catalogue value .Nice cancellations too.
    There is a message on each card.The address doesnt seem to be too exact so am not sure how they were delivered.Possibly in diplmatic mail ?
    I did some checking and M Gracobbi was a senator during this time Image (24).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  13. anglobob

Two other postcards,mailed from Bouar.They have a patriotic message and I imagine were sent either by a government employee or a member of the miitary.
    Uncommon to find postally used and are the first items I have seen with Bouar cancellation. Image (32).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  14. anglobob

Back to my French Colonies collections.,I recently acquired a mint and used collection of Reunion stamps,from 1949 to 1974.The mint stamps were all in mounts on assorted pages.Unfortunately,all the mounts were heavily stuck to the pages so I couldn,t salvage any of them.
    The stamps in question are all French stamps with the CFA overprint.
    This page shows some of the early overprinted airmail issues. Image (285).jpg

15. Harry Golightly

Harry Golightly NonHinged

Beautiful stamps & presentation Bob...Way to go!
    HG

16. anglobob

An early set from Martinique,with issues from 1908 to 1918.Very well designed and nice colours.
    Image (292).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  17. anglobob

The last series of stamps from Guadeloupe,issued in 1947.The stamps show various aspects of daily life..very simple designs but with attractive colours.
    From 1947 to the present day,French stamps are used in Guadeloupe. Image (291).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  18. DonSellos

As usual, nicely centered stamps with light cancels. A desirable collection! Bob, I noticed the web address on the lower left corner of the pages. Are these pages available to print like Steiner pages?

Don

19. anglobob

Hochstrasse likes this.
  20. anglobob

It,s been a while since I last posted here.
    This is a selection of stamps from Togo,with circular cancellations,some of which are quite scarce.

Image (320).jpg

DonSellos and Molokai like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted