French Colonies

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by anglobob, Sep 10, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Very nice and interesting to boot. Looks like a genuine non-philatelic cover. The handwritten note is interesting. If I translate it correctly, it says "written 5 April '40, received 3 May, '40." "Annonee??" sent some money." Looks like it was posted on April 7th. Not too bad on the delivery time.

Don

2. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

Yes...definitely postally used !!
    Doesnt have an arrival datestamp on the back,just a date stamp from Cotonou,Dahomey on 8 April.
    The hand written note does say ,arrived 3 May, so it took just under a month to arrive.Considering it was war time,that is good.
    Even today,most of my mail from Europe takes about 5-6 weeks to arrive..
    Bob

3. anglobob

A series of registered covers from Wallis and Futuna,with stamps issued in 1940 and overprinted with France Libre in 1941.The envelopes were sent to New York on Jan 10,1945 and arrived in New York on Feb 18,via Noumea and San Francisco.
    The complete set has 33 stamps but only 25 are here.A complete set is valued at 1300 USD in Gibbons,with several catalogued over 100usd each.All of the high values are on these covers.Each cover has nice cancellations and a censor cachet.
    Quite unusual and hard to find on cover. Image (172).jpg Image (173).jpg

DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  4. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Very, very attractive!

5. DonSellos

Second that!

Don

6. anglobob

A couple more covers I have found.
    The first one is from the Comoro Islands,part of an omnibus set issued in 1954 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of French Liberation.My Gibbons catalogue prices a used copy at 50.00ukl.Quite hard to find on cover,and also with nice cancels.
    The second one is a cover from Togo to Switzerland on 19 April,1939.
    The stamp is part of the Marie Curie issue from 1938.
    Also hard to find these stamps on a cover,again with very nice cancels. Image (174).jpg

Werner Salentin and DonSellos like this.
  7. DonSellos

Very nice, both covers! Besides the stamps and the cancels, I especially like the Air France etiquette on the Comoro Islands cover.

Don

8. anglobob

Cameroun and Spitfire Fund.

During the Battle of Britain,there was an urgent need for more Spitfires and various schemes were introduced to raise funds for increasing production.Towns,cities,clubs and companies all had different ways to raise funds.All cash raised was put into a Spitfire Fund.In 1940,after a meeting with General de Gaulle,leader of Free French Forces,it was agreed that four Cameroun stamps would be used as a way to generate additional revenue.These four stamps had a surcharge of 5 francs,inscribed as + 5 Frs Spitfire.
    In Feb 1941,the two stamps from 1939 World Trade Fair were released with a higher surcharge,reading Spitfire 10Frs General de Gaulle.
    This cover was sent on 9 April 1941 by registered mail.It has a local Douala cancel and a censor stamp.
    Used examples are catalogued at 150 UKL each by Gibbons.Probably more on cover.
    This cover was probably sent as a philatelic item,but it is still unusual and hard to find. Image (175).jpg

9. DonSellos

What an interesting story and cover! I was generally aware of some WW II aircraft built with donated funds. The same thing was done in the U.S., more with bombers than fighter aircraft, I believe, but I was totally unaware of the philatelic connection. Was Cameroun the only colony that issued the surcharged stamps?

Don

10. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

According to Michel the printing quantities of both sets are very small:
    + 5 Frs. SPITFIRE 4000 sets
    SPITFIRE 10 fr. Général de GAULLE 5000 sets

anglobob likes this.
  11. anglobob

Thanks Werner
    I found a couple of Dallay catalogues while I was in England,and they also show the printing numbers...I never noticed this before.Gibbons doesnt give that sort of information
    Bob

12. anglobob

Don...
    As far as I know,these are the only Spitfire surcharges but I will do a little more research.Am now looking for France Libre issues from various colonies
    Bob

13. anglobob

A set from French Guiana,issued in 1939 and with a special cancel Cayenne France Libre from 1944. Image (181).jpg

14. DonSellos

Very attractive set. The cancels are outstanding.

Don

15. anglobob

Stamps from French Equatorial Africa, originally issued from 1936-1939 ,with a surcharge of LIBRE.The surcharges started in 1940 and can be found in black or red .Stamps from 1941 can also be found with a surcharge AFRIQUE FRANCAISE LIBRE.
    Its quite a challenge to get all the different coloured surcharges...not particulary expensive but hard to find.The one stamp missing from the scanned page is somewhere in the Ecuadorian mail system...am still waiting to receive it. Image (182).jpg

16. DonSellos

Bob:

Nice stamps and page, as usual! I know almost nothing about the politics of these colonies during WW II and their relationship to the homeland. What was the attitude of the Vichy government toward them, benign neglect, or were new sympathetic governors and administrative officials appointed? Was the Libre overprint on the stamps ordered by the Vichy government or was it a statement of allegiance to DeGaulle's Free France?

Don

17. anglobob

DonSellos likes this.
  18. anglobob

A registered letter sent on Oct 12,1939 from French Equatorial Africa to New York,arriving Dec 14,1939.
    Hard to find postally used stamps from the Anniversary of the French Revolution on a cover. AEF.jpg

19. DonSellos

Very nice cover, Bob. Nice cancels, front and back. I wonder what the routing was? It took quite awhile considering it was airmail. With the war underway, it must have gone through a neutral area, Lisbon or the Azores? Maybe part of the way on surface transport?

Don

20. anglobob

Another selection of stamps from French Equatorial Africa.
    The first series is from 1941,with overprint Afrique Francaise Libre in black.
    The bottom four stamps were issued on Jan 1 ,1942 to commemorate the arrival of Charles de Gaulle in Brazzaville on Oct 24,`1940, and have the overprint of Libre 24-10-1940
    They were only issued affixed to a set of four postcards,with an issue of 20,000 sets.
    I have found examples with a cancellation but postally used cards are hard to find ..my Dallay catalogue from 2006 prices them from 115 to 135 Euros Image (184).jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted